Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food log

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How do I enter a portion of something I've cooked or created? I can only figure out how to add the whole thing but I won't eat it all in one seating. Is there a way to enter a portion?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@andelong, you should be able to enter the entire item, and then select the portion size for it when you add it to your consumed food.  So, you enter it as a a serving of 8 oz, then when select it for adding to your daily log you enter a portion size of 4 oz it should correctly enter calories, etc.

Best Answer
I haven't been able to do that. There is no portion size option when entering the item in the log. I'm sure I'm doing or not doing something. I'll keep working on it, I guess. Thanks for the response.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you entering through the app or online? I've been logging through the app and it has a drop down box for portion sizes and you can adjust there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I simply type over what I used in "How Much?" field. For example if I choose  Bread - I have options like 1 regular slice, 1 thing slice, 1 think slice etc... If I wanted to enter half a slice I would just type in 0.5 and I am given options 0.5 regular slice, 0.5 thing slice, 0.5 think slice etc... 

Experiment with that. If portion options only show in oz, I just type , say 100 grams, and it adjusts calories accordingly. I am using Food Log in Dashboard online and it gives plenty flexibility, I can type in 1/4, 1/3 in stead of default 1 cup etc . Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes that works for a food item or packaged item but not for food I've made myself. For instance, I made a rice dish with vegetables, brown rice, & quinoa. I can't enter that item into the log, I have to enter the individual ingredients. Then it looks like I ate the whole thing when I've made enough to last a week.
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's right! It is not as easy with cooked meals. For example, I made pasta sauce (beef, canned tomatoes - I did not bother entering minor ingredients). When I entered pasta sauce to my dinnter time, total was over 1000 cal LOL! What I did, I got out my calculator and figured I used 1/4 of the sauce, so I changed values for each ingredient reducing them by 25%. A bit of math practiceSmiley LOL

@USAF-LarryI can not see an option creating portion sizes for meals. Is it different between apps and online Dashboard? I use online Dashboard... Unless I am mistaken, portions sizing is not available for meals ( would be a good feature and not very hard to implement)!

I'll do some more reading on meal creation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @SiegfriedB@andelong@natalilybug and @USAF-Larry.

It's great to see Forum members helping each other out.

At the moment it is not possible to log a meal and then split it around. We do have a suggestion about it. It is not currently planned to be added but you can vote for it to show that you'd like to have it on your account. 

In the meantime, perhaps you could look into MyFitnessPal. I've heard that they have some meal logging options and it can connect to Fitbit.

Hope you find it useful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes