Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google accounts will be required in 2025

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

In the last 2 days I have done a lot of research into why the Fitbit app was changed to this horrible new version. It appears that Google purchased Fitbit with the intentbof phasing them out by 2025 and pushing users to the Google Pixel watch. Google Monopoly. Consumers get the shaft.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

Could you please add the source where you read this?

Best Answer

Hi @Arcadian0  there is some information here: https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/technology/compatible-devices 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

It just says that from 2025 you will be forced to sign in with a google account. This by no way means fitbit devices will be discontinued. It's talking about a SOFTWARE change not a hardware change.

Best Answer

They don’t have to say it; they’ll just do it. We can read between the lines, and look at the timeline of what they’ve done so far; it’s obvious where they are heading.

Original Flex (March 2014); Charge HR; Alta HR; Original Versa; Inspire; Sense; Charge 5; Inspire 2
Best Answer

it’s not, though. “They’ll require Google account linking” and “They’ll discontinue the product” are unrelated concepts that require a lot of assumptions.

Best Answer

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens, but I wouldn’t put any money on being able to buy a new Fitbit in 2025. 🤷🏼‍:female_sign:

Original Flex (March 2014); Charge HR; Alta HR; Original Versa; Inspire; Sense; Charge 5; Inspire 2
Best Answer

Yup, nit a conspiracy theorist but it appears the purchase was just Google buying up all Fitbit users. News is, I don’t want a pixel watch and the new Fitbit app stinks. So come 2025 or maybe sooner, I’m out. 

Best Answer

Google pixel only talks to android. I love my fitbit and was about to get a new one, but will need to re-think it since i have an iphone

Best Answer

Hi everyone, and welcome to the new members. @Odyssey13 Thanks for your help!

Thanks for sharing your insights, and the research done prior to posting. I understand your concern and as mentioned in the link shared above, in 2025 a Google account will be required to use a Fitbit device; however, until then we'll continue supporting your Fitbit account. For more information, let me recommend checking this help article.

In regards to our Fitbit devices, they'll continue working before and after migrating to a Google account as long as they're connected with a compatible mobile device. We'll also provide any assistance that you may need with them, so please make sure to post your inquiry in the Help Forums or get in touch with our Support team.

Once again, thanks for all your feedback and our team will continue working to improve our devices, as well as your experience with them.

Best Answer

I believe the concern is that the Fitbit device family will be discontinued. No more Versas and Inspires and such.

Any comment on that?

Best Answer

Agreed, I won’t get a pixel device.That was the primary advantage of a platform agnostic vendor. 

While there may be “support” for Fitbit that’s not the same thing as continuing “investment” in the hardware platform.

It appears Google is just taking our money and our “data” and running with it here so I’ll need to look elsewhere.

The new app is awful as well 😞

Best Answer

G'afternoon Lizzie,

Thanks for sharing your insights as well.  But the OP, BurritoVonSilly and others here aren't as concerned (at least in this thread) about future app support, switching to a Google user account or other non hardware issues.  

The topic here is two fold.  1) Was Googles purchase of Fitbit, as a whole, done with the intent to discontinue the Fitbit hardware line of products and force Fitbit owners (and loyal to Fitbit Company) to invest in Google fitness tracker products?  And no I don't mean the simple rebranding of current or in development Fitbit products as "Google", I mean specifically killing the Fitbit product line. 

And 2) Was it Googles intention to not only acquire the Fitbit consumer health and fitness data, but to also merge said data into its existing and growing database?

All the other issues that have come up in comments here are certainly relevant, and likely covered extensively in other threads, so won't go beyond this mention here.  But as a participant in this thread, and having been a Fitbit consumer since 2013 and tracker owner since 2015, I believe brand loyalty is present.  Our concerns of Fitbit product longevity need to be addressed.  

One point that does require elaboration is that of tracker platform independence.  If the claim Google Pixel is only compatible with Android, I believe this will further drive long time FItbit consumers away from the Google "Fitbit" app as many are not Android owners. 

Just some food for thought.  Please share with your Google counterparts.  

Thanks again, 

Mark L. Torrey
Best Answer

Your fitbit account is not going to change, it just the way you log in. 

I've seen many sites with the option to log in through Google or Facebook. 

Best Answer

I think the reality is that the Google app is totally rubbish, poorly designed, doesn’t sync-or syncs then wipes the new data and doesn’t even display the battery level and it late sending messages that the battery level is low so I get caught out and about with a low battery-what idiot thought that was a good idea? 

by 2025 it will be academic whether Google continues with Fitbit or not-users will leave in droves given the poor performance. I have had fitbits religiously since 2015. As soon as I work out how to migrate all my data to another device I like-I will be gone. 

Best Answer

Not true. If you went through the migration like I attempted to you will notice they are creating a new account and migrating your data. And once done you can't have multiple accounts you login into anymore on your phone because it is tied to the account signed in on the phone which is your Google and not Fitbit account.

The simple fact that as a parent I won't be able to manage my daughters fitbit from my account and instead I need a new device on which her own account is logged in as primary is just another proof they don't care about the loyal fitbit users base and its all about getting your data into the Google platform.

Screenshot_20231108_075557.jpg

Best Answer

Google already has all of your data. It’s inescapable.

Best Answer

You can buy nice, inexpensive wristbands online, eg from the Wish app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NTonCape Google purchased Fitbit under the claim of wanting the meta data. They also realized that fitbit needed cash for R&D and made an offer, which the Fitbit stock holders approved 

Currently the deadline to migrate to a Google login is 2025. Google has no plans to shut down Fitbit 

@Rubbinio most Android phones today can be setup with multiple. This is like Windows and ipads. This would work for your daughter. She will need a Child Google account in your Google family account. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This only seems like it is going downhill- especially with the fact that more email addresses are being hacked.

This account has been hacked by someone.
Best Answer