Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit number of steps to reduce?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I was on vacation, my FitBit was on a table that was shaking all night, due to a fan being on the table.  In the morning when I retrieved it, I had earned 32,000 steps and 15 miles!   This is far more steps than I've ever gotten - the previous max is around 15,000.   I haven't been able to find any way to remove this entry from the app or the web version of the dashboard or the log.  Thanks for your replies!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SunsetRunner @PianoDan @SunsetRunner , nice to see you all around.  Thank you for your posts and comments. 

@SunsetRunner , thank you for your help and the steps provided!

@PianoDan , if the steps provided by our friend @SunsetRunner  didn't help I'll recommend you to have a look at this article:How do I add, edit, or delete Fitbit data and activities?

Furthermore I'll suggest you to read this other article, so you know how our devices work. How accurate are Fitbit devices?

If you still consider that your device is counting too many steps, try to restart it and verify the positioning of the device

If anyone has any further question, how the devices work or need assistance with other information, please do not hesitate to contact any of the moderators, including me, or reply here. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hello @PianoDan 

There is no way to delete your steps but you can take that section of time and change it if that makes sense. You can achieve the same result by negating them.

For that, follow these instructions:

1. Log into your fitbit.com dashboard.
  2. At the top of the screen click Log > Activity.
  3. Find the data you want to negate by selecting a date range.
  4. In the activity menu, type in "Driving" and enter the duration and start time.
  5. Click Log Activity. Your steps, floors, and calories burned will decrease for the time period you specified.

😃 I hope I’ve provided you a solution to your question. Please let me know

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply, I went through the steps, and I'm not completely sure at this time if it solved the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again @PianoDan 

A way to check if it solved your issue is to sync your Fitbit App then from the main page tap the center of the circle that shows your current steps. On the next page look at the day that you altered and see if your steps for that day were reduced in number. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have only had a Fitbit for 2 days and things do no bode well.... Seems really barmy to log driving to reduce the number of steps, surly it is not impossible to simply add an edit feature??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner 

Adding “driving as an activity” is an example. There are other activities you can add. But @PianoDan  ask how to reduce her steps showing. With that said you “CAN NOT” just edit “steps” to reduce or increase them @SunsetRunner . There are challenges on Fitbit as well and the ability to just randomly jack UP your steps would deflate the purpose of challenges and make the challenges unfair and questionable at best. So yes @SunsetRunner  it is impossible to just randomly adjust “Steps”. The individual who originally asked the question wants to reduce her steps because that spike in steps is reflected on her weekly stats. She’s trying to make them look honest. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suspect most like me would want to reduce the step count to more accurate levels....but cheating is obviously easy ...just leave it on the table with a fan or other vibrating devise or like me just keep the 5000 plus steps it registered when driving about today....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again @SunsetRunner 

First and foremost I will NOT get into a dialogue with you (or anyone else) on the subject of what you call “cheating is obviously easy”. I honor the steps I take with honesty and integrity and discussing such behavior of cheating (as you described with a fan) is not in the spirit of moral behavior nor what the Fitbit is all about. Individuals who cheat or advocate cheating is only cheating themselves and not worth my brain cells to entertain it in any manner. If you have a particular question about the function of your tracker I’d be more than happy to assist you with that question otherwise I have nothing more to offer to your post. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner @PianoDan @SunsetRunner , nice to see you all around.  Thank you for your posts and comments. 

@SunsetRunner , thank you for your help and the steps provided!

@PianoDan , if the steps provided by our friend @SunsetRunner  didn't help I'll recommend you to have a look at this article:How do I add, edit, or delete Fitbit data and activities?

Furthermore I'll suggest you to read this other article, so you know how our devices work. How accurate are Fitbit devices?

If you still consider that your device is counting too many steps, try to restart it and verify the positioning of the device

If anyone has any further question, how the devices work or need assistance with other information, please do not hesitate to contact any of the moderators, including me, or reply here. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner was right, however I was doing it wrong.   The links that @JuanFitbit provided allowed me to bring this to a resolution.  Thanks to both of you!

Best Answer

I’m super happy you are up and running again @PianoDan 😃 Happy Stepping!

Best Answer

No need to go off on one, I simply pointed out a contradiction for the reason given for not being able to edit steps manually, and the strange need to call it driving.... Fake steps must be a big issue for those who take their social media ranking seriously, similar to fake driving.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It was very helpful. Thank you so much for this advice.

Best Answer

I’m happy to see the posted information helped @Frozka ! 😃 Enjoy the rest of your day 

Best Answer