Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to summarize activities for the year

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi
I would like to see the total distance I have biked this year. I can see the distances for each individual activity, but is there a way to see the total distance biked for a given time period?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@nevershake - 

Check out this thread which addressed an individual's need to document his treadmill sessions, paying particular attention to three posts - one where I include a web activities page and Excel snapshots as well as the next two posts discussing a "thirty hour" treadmill session.

Once I performed a global search and replace on the word "miles", I had no issues with the mileage numbers, summing and averaging just fine.

Even with the overstatements for time that can be easily corrected, you can get a years worth of data collected pretty quick. It just now took me just under three minutes to populate one web page with this years activity summary - 721 activities - by using the "Load ten more" button. Add another 30 seconds to copy and paste into Excel and I'm ready to audit. A little over 200 have the issue of minutes being loaded as hours, but it still beats entering 700 activity summaries in one session.

Of course, now that you know you may want to have the information ready, you may want to consider starting to enter the data manually each day so you can add other metrics, like average heart rate, time in zones, etc. That is what I currently do for nutritional information, as FitBit data extracts are sorely limited - actually pretty useless.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Welcome to the boards.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@nevershake - 

Check out this thread which addressed an individual's need to document his treadmill sessions, paying particular attention to three posts - one where I include a web activities page and Excel snapshots as well as the next two posts discussing a "thirty hour" treadmill session.

Once I performed a global search and replace on the word "miles", I had no issues with the mileage numbers, summing and averaging just fine.

Even with the overstatements for time that can be easily corrected, you can get a years worth of data collected pretty quick. It just now took me just under three minutes to populate one web page with this years activity summary - 721 activities - by using the "Load ten more" button. Add another 30 seconds to copy and paste into Excel and I'm ready to audit. A little over 200 have the issue of minutes being loaded as hours, but it still beats entering 700 activity summaries in one session.

Of course, now that you know you may want to have the information ready, you may want to consider starting to enter the data manually each day so you can add other metrics, like average heart rate, time in zones, etc. That is what I currently do for nutritional information, as FitBit data extracts are sorely limited - actually pretty useless.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Welcome to the boards.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, this definitely worked and went faster than expected but as some activities had small edit buttons (the pencil icon) pasting into excel was not as straightforward and required some more editing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nevershake -

Yes, it is a little weak. But over the years, after coming in after other developers have left the customer with something much less than optimal, I have come to the realization that sometimes a little bit of extra work until the issue is dealt with is worth it.

Good luck to you and once again, welcome to the boards.

Best Answer
0 Votes