Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate sleep data

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why does my FitBit Alta record inaccurate sleep times?  If I get up during the night, it ends my sleep pattern for that night at one of my times I'm up. When I correct the time it will record it as all being restless.  This a.m. I got up at 7:45 a.m. and it only showed a 5 o'clock rising time, which was my last time up for a bathroom trip.  Sometimes it never records most of the night.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for joining the Forums @carol.havig.

It is possible that it could be because after you wake up and then go back to sleep, you might not reach the same level of rest. It could be that you are moving a lot after you go back to sleep and thus the tracker thinks that you are already awake. 

I hope you find this useful! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
20 REPLIES 20

Thanks for joining the Forums @carol.havig.

It is possible that it could be because after you wake up and then go back to sleep, you might not reach the same level of rest. It could be that you are moving a lot after you go back to sleep and thus the tracker thinks that you are already awake. 

I hope you find this useful! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem as Carol H.  with my sleep hours not being accurate.  I went to bed at 10:30 PM and to my knowledge only got up twice in the night.  I didn't get out of bed until 7:05 AM, yet my dashboard says that I did not go to sleep until 12;08 a.m.  This is incorrect and it has happened several times.  Also, when I log my food in, I choose the correct food but it is choosing an entirely different food than what I logged.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My sleep pattern was somewhat explained, however, how does it show you going to bed 10 or 11 p.m. and blank in the middle of the night for a few hours and then back on to record from wee hours until rising?

Carol Havig
carol.havig@gmail.com
Best Answer
0 Votes
It didn’t show that I had gone to bed until 12:08 am.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue; it measured my sleep right until Saturday; I went to bed at midnight, and I know it wasn't much after 12:15 when I went to sleep, yet the dashboard says it was 2:32 am; and again, last night, snuggled down at midnight, it recorded sleep began at 2 a.m. I did get up both nights, but at around 4 am both times, just to the bathroom and back. Maybe there's a bug that needs to be tended to? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also am searching for answers to why my Alta is recording inaccurate sleep times. I went to bed around 12:30 am yet the fitbit is reported I went to bed at 9 am and got 8 hours of sleep which is totally inaccurate. Some nights absolutely nothing is recorded. I figured it might have something to do with what time I went to sleep and what day it is recorded as. However, can't figure out why it is acting like I'm in a different time zone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Crazy reading again this a.m. Showed going to bed at 5ish this a.m. and up at 7 a.m. with 1+ hrs sleep. I deleted the day's record and entered my retiring and rising times. It then produced a more accurate reading, with awake, restless, and sleep more accurately. Try deleting and entering your known times and see if that gives you a better record of your sleep hours.
Carol Havig
carol.havig@gmail.com
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I will have to try to figure out how to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Best Answer
0 Votes
You go in to log sleep-select the pne you want to edit-delete- then edit by
entering your accurate times being you sure you have the right dates for
retiring and for arising when you enter the times. Then select edit and
there will be another edit selection you need to make usually at the top of
the site. This is the first time I’ve tried this, but it did adjust and
also recorded or registered my awake, restless and sleep times. So I’m
going to proceed with that method each time I get an accurate readings. I
think the key was to delete the day before you do any editing. It must’ve
then read what I had on my fit bit.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. Ironically it was inaccurate when I first checked it this morning, then like an hour later it changed to an accurate reading without me doing a thing. Very strange!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Was wondering if they were perhaps working on a "fix" for the problem and we happen to hone in on some of the progress. Will see what it does in the next few days!

Carol Havig
carol.havig@gmail.com
Best Answer
0 Votes
The last two nights, it hit the right start-of-sleep time. This morning, I got up to go to the bathroom at 5:30, and that is when it stopped monitoring my sleep. I correctly recorded I got out of bed to start my day at 7:32. Since those two times are not uncommon for me, I am going to presume they are working on the problem and are aware of this one as well. I am going to try and be patient. Good to know I wasn't alone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! 

Thanks for bringing this up and sharing your experiences on the matter.

Please do keep in mind that there are several reasons why the sleep might be inaccurate If your phone has HR tracking, it will take that into consideration so maybe your Heart Rate remained high after going to sleep. This could happen because of eating a lot before sleeping, stress, being overly tired. The same could happen if you were moving a lot during your first hours of sleep or even if a draft of air is hitting your Fitbit while you sleep, be it from an open window or a fan.

Please take this into consideration and let me know how it continues to behave, I'd like to keep an eye on this situation.

Feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best Answer
No, I do not have a heart rate tracker or open window. Why would that affect the reported time for going to bed?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @MsFyt.

Regarding the Heart Rate, if your HR is higher than what it is regular when you go to sleep then the Fitbit will think that you are still awake. That is if you had an HR one. As for the window, a draft of air hitting the Fitbit could be perceived as you moving around, not necessarily walking but moving and could cause the tracker to think you are awake. 

Since none applies to your situation, let's check into your account's settings. Please follow these steps:

1. Go into your account settings.
  2. Look for the sleep sensitivity section.
  3. Make sure that it is on 'Normal'. If it is on 'Sensitive' then please change it to normal and 'Save'.
  4. Sync your Fitbit.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info. Was not aware of this setting. BTW, mine was set on sensitive, so will see now what shows up on my FitBit, as I switched it to Normal. This should help for all who have been having this issue.

Moderator edit: Removed personal info

Best Answer

Hello @carol.havig

Thanks for letting me know that it was on sensitive. Please keep me posted on how it behaves after doing the change, it should absolutely help everything work more accurately in your case.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Best Answer

So far, it is doing great. And it seems to have "ironed out" my issues re: sleep logging. Thanks! I was not aware of that part in the setup, or if I was in the beginning, had totally spaced it out. Will see what it does this week, but so far! It is working great. Hope it is helpful info for the others with issues in sleep as well as anything else.

Moderator edit: Removed personal info

Best Answer

Hey @carol.havig.

Fantastic news! I'm sure that it will continue working wonderfully!

If you have the time, maybe you could visit one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about with other users.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Best Answer