Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifetime Steps not updating

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hitting a milestone ... I decided to add all my steps by day on the fitbit "from/to summary tool" (on the Dashboard) ... then I went to check on the Lifetime Steps on the Grand Total Page: the totals were not the same.

The Dashboard Summary was higher than the Grand Total (a few thousand off).  Just letting you know something is out of wack.

What time of the day are the grand totals updated?  Is it by account or at midnight by time zone?  Or something else?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hey @tvp24 

Interesting.  I’ve been on this platform for a while (76+ million steps, nearly 10 years), and never checked to see if lifetime (grand total) steps were the same as the sum of daily steps.  (Sadly, there are no more milestones for me to hit at this point).  In my case the two were different by about 40K steps.  I don’t think the daily timing of recording the lifetime steps accounts for the difference (my daily average is probably around 19-20K over the whole timeframe, though closer to 17K these days).  

I am speculating, but It might simply be that lifetime/grand total is calculated by adding the current daily step total to whatever “lifetime” was yesterday, such that any historical errors are preserved, whereas the sum of daily step totals recognizes that sometimes daily step totals change.  

Why might daily step totals change?  It is possible to manually enter an activity and assign a step total to it that would override whatever your Fitbit calculated (or to give you step credit for something that happened when you weren’t wearing your tracker).  This can also happen with imported activities from other programs such as MyFitnessPal or Strava).  It is also possible to delete those manually added activities. If they are deleted, then whatever the tracker recorded during the same time period would replace whatever was in the manual activity.  The result on the daily step count could be lower or higher, but regardless, the count would change any calculation of total steps that included that day such that the some of daily totals would be different than the lifetime/grand total calculation. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tvp24 and @Baltoscott -

My lifetime step total on the web dashboard updates each time I sync. I just verified that by taking a few steps, syncing, taking a quick trip to the window and back and syncing. Updated correctly each time, <<edit>>including the yearly totals on the Activities page <</edit>>.

Now, as to whether the lifetime step count is correct, as in comparison to totaling the yearly numbers on the activity page - no. Two percent higher on the main dashboard compared to @Baltoscott 's approximate .05 percent difference.

I have no immediate clue as to why, but I'm really not bothered by it. At my age, I'm just happy I woke up this morning so I C-A-N log some steps. And have some quality time with my Grandson.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer