Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging Custom recipes

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

To Fitbit - 

Please do something to make creating your own food (e.g. recipes) easier.  your tracker seems fine if I only eat prepackaged food and or insert Xoz of chicken, etc.  But for those of us who make/cook most of our food (WAY healthier than buying premade/packaged foods) - surely you would want to help us track this way.  If we could build recipes under names once, and then refer to them later - that would be hugely helpful.  I was looking to switch to fitbit for a foodlog, but still can't seem to do this.  PLEASE fix this.  Thank You

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
62 REPLIES 62

Hi, I found the same problem so I added a new food containing all the nutrients of the meal as if it were just one item. It works for me. Hope this helps. 🙂

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @SunsetRunner.

Thank you very much for sharing your particular workaround for it. Glad to read that it worked for you and hopefully it will help other users who find themselves on a similar situation.

If you have the time, maybe you can look into one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about in there. 

Hope to see you around.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Essentially, we need a recipe calculator where we can enter each quantitiy of ingredient we’ve used to save it as a recipe. Then choose the serving size.

Entering each ingredient separately in the food log is frustrating, as is trying to guess the nutritional information of a home made recipe.

Best Answer

I agree and I would love to create recipes with that

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @BuckyBabes. Hello @Gujarati.

Thanks for sharing your idea with us! 

Perhaps you could support this suggestion about splitting meals. It seems like it fits the description of what you said pretty good. You can vote for it or comment on it. Be sure to also read the Feature suggestions FAQ.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

I love that the accepted solution is “ You can’t. Download another app.” I have tried syncing Fitbit with my fitness pal but it hardly syncs the steps or excercises, sometimes stops syncing altogether, and there is a discrepancy between myfitnesspal and Fitbit for calories burned/ remaining. It’s a HUGE pain in the **ahem** to get them to work together correctly.

I like using the Fitbit app all by itself, but it seem so the developers are reliant on my fitness pal, which is lazy developing. 

I use the “Create meal” option to add all ingredients of a meal. I determine the number of servings the meal makes and use that  to determine the actual log entry. So if a meal makes 4 servings, and I’m having one serving I add 1/4 of meal x into my log.

Best Answer

Me too.
Thanks for sharing the pain.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Helsvakkelsdurf. Hello @Gujarati.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences on the matter.

If you have the time, maybe you could vote for this suggestion to have such a feature. While it is listed as Not Currently Planned that doesn't mean that it could change in the future. Be sure to read the FAQ in case you have any questions on the way that board works.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer

Wait.... so we’re now in 2018 and Fitbit STILL has not updated enough to have a recipe builder into its app? Many of us just use Fitbit so we don’t HAVE to have multiple apps and to go back and forth between them. Having one place to do it would be.... ideal and somewhat common sense when tracking food/meals. Come on Fitbit 😕 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @Brittohmy.

Thanks for your feedback. 

Maybe you could post about it in our Feature Suggestions board. Other users could then comment on the idea and vote for it to show their support. As mentioned above, be sure to read the FAQ if there are any questions on how the board works.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OMG, this request appears multiple times on the suggestion board. Users have been asking for a recipe builder since I joined the community in 2015 if not before that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to revive an old thread, but custom recipes are still a HUGELY needed feature.

MyFitnessPal works but is COMPLETELY SPAMMED with so many ADS.... even the paid for version (which I have) has advertising in it (even though it is advertised as "removed").  Yesterday I told a friend about MyFitnessPal and he stopped using it due to the amount of ads in it.  However, as a stand alone app, it works well.

Also, when the meals import in to Fitbit (from MyFitnessPal), they only show the entire meal and not individual foods.  Thus, you have to refer to MyFitnessPal to see them (when you ask "what did I eat?").  This is managing two separate accounts which is not the end of the world, but would be so nice to have single app/account.  Would be SO nice if the food area in Fitbit was given some more "love" starting with custom recipes.

One past product I used that has a GREAT recipe builder is called "LifeForm" and it was from the late 90's early 2000's.  Unfortunately, they stopped developing the product.  It had a GREAT way of adding each ingredient in precise measurements (in grams, ounces, not subjective "cups" or "teaspoons") and then you decide how many servings.  Then, you could just enter the exact weight of each serving when you ate it. Or choose the number of servings.  It did all the magic and was pretty precise.

Thanks for listening.

Best Answer

I was using myfitnesspal until my credit tracker told me that my email information was found on the dark web because of myfitnesspal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would have expected this to be a no brainier. Should have been included a long time ago and yet....

Best Answer

the link is blank

Best Answer
0 Votes

Myfitnesspal does have a fairly good food database but it is limited by the number of ingredients that can be entered. You will lose data without warning if you go over about 10 ingredients.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have this feature. I honestly don't understand why there is a "Custom Meal" tool but not a "Recipe Generator" tool. All you would have to do is add a serving size function to the "Custom Meal" tool and it would become a recipe generator.... I honestly thought when I was using the Custom Meal tool I would just edit my meal size to like 0.33 or something if the recipe serves three.... But nope... I need to divide each ingredient in the meal by "3" instead when saved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The ability to do the following would clinch Fitbit as my only health app:

1) Create recipes and save with serving size

2) Import recipes from url

3) Import recipes from other app (such as Mealime)

4) Share recipes with other Fitbit users (so my husband and I won’t both have to spend the time logging)

Best Answer

I am having to use the Carb Manager app to create the meals. I have to pay the premium to get it to sync to the fitbit app. I find it astonishing that fitbit would not have this feature. Most people eat the same meal types often,so they can easily log food by selecting the custom meals. Come on fitbit get it together!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

that's the same issue I'm having with fitbit, we rarely ever eat out and the recipe box in fitness pal is easy to use you would think that fitbit would get it solved

Best Answer