Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of steps from washing my car

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There is no way I did over 5 thousand steps by washing my car this morning. It is no good I start doubting accuracy of my versa. Anyone  got same issue???

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @Happyvalley46.

Let me help you with the inflated step count.

It is possible that because of the hand movement while washing the car, the Versa thoughts you were taking more steps that you actually were. Having said that, it is possible to negate those steps. Click here to see instructions on how to delete those steps from your totals.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, it is troubling if Versa measures hand movements instead of actual steps ... what else is not accurate I wonder.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Happyvalley46We have to take the good with the bad on the wrist type Fitness trackers..  I lose steps because of the shopping trolleys and gain some with wrist type actions.. I have been keeping my stats since 2011 and the averages are there..

Today I have been painting our fences, on and off for 2 hours and I'm wearing the Ionic and at 1-30pm, my all day step count is only 2,006 steps.. Which surprised me.. Probably a slower action than the other day, where I was laying mulch, cutting, pruning etc and I gained 3000 steps with hardly any leg movement.

I would be looking at your heart graphs on the Versa, because a combination of that, with your car washing effort you would be well ahead in Fitness activity..

It would be interesting to know your active minutes for that .  I set Workout, and examine those non step activities and at the end of the day I feel good in myself.

Of course if you are in Challenges you would have to apply @LanuzaFitbit suggestion..

@Happyvalley46 wrote:
Well, it is troubling if Versa measures hand movements instead of actual steps ... what else is not accurate I wonder.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

My suggestion, and what works for me.  For activities like pushing a grocery cart, washing the car, painting, golf, vacuuming, etc, where your wrist is moving 1+ feet in in consecutive fashion, pull your band off and stick it in your pocket.  It will accurately measure your steps without detecting your arm movements. 

I have actually used this the opposite way to make up lost steps.  For instance, I charge the tracker every time I shower.  If I forget to put the tracker back on after leaving the bathroom, I will calculate my missed steps and then pick up my tracker and literally will hammer in the air with the tracker the number of times that I calculated as missed steps.

Best Answer

Hello @Shep17,  @Happyvalley46 and @Colinm39.

@Shep17 and @Colinm39, thanks for sharing your takes on this and how you go about reducing the number of steps incorrectly tracked.

@Happyvalley46 It is not necessarily that your Fitbit counts every arm motion as steps, but since it is a wrist-based tracker it uses movements sensing from your wrist to determine whether you are walking or not. Taking this into consideration, movements that are similar in how they are felt by your Versa can be mistakenly counted as steps.

Feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can help out with.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes