Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually logged steps don't count for challenges or lifetime

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I think this needs to be reconsidered FitBit!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Manually-Logged-Steps-Not-Counting-Towards-Lead...

Manually logged steps do not count towards your 7-day leaderboards, in addition to Activity Groups. This change was implemented in order to mirror the behavior of Challenges, where only tracker data is pulled into the equation- this helps keep things fair.

I think it is BS that you are looking to cater towards the small number of people who will cheat just to win a challenge that proves nothing. When a company is tailoring it's product ideas towards cheaters and not towards the thousands of dedicated and motivated fitness users subscribed to their product, the company should take a long hard look at themselves.

You are greatly affecting people who use other methods of exercise other than "Steps". For example, swimming, cycling, treadmill and any others that appear in the above post.

I have also emailed you a formula to use when adding steps for Swimming and Cycling, as used by the Global Corporate Challenge.

Moderator edit: Format & updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118
They are have stopped including manual adjustments as people were supposedly cheating by manually adding activities to increase the steps they were taking.

Personally I did a 5km run but due to the waterproof limitations of my fitbit I couldn't wear it (the run included streams, bogs and crawling through mud). I thereafter manually added my 5km run, which added 5km's worth of steps to my daily count but from my friends leaderboard it looked as though I had been sitting on my bum all day as they couldn't see the 5km manual adjustment.

The application has been modified to stop people cheating, which is to the detriment of people doing anything other than simply walking 🚶
Best Answer
Cheaters are gonna cheat. I could strap this to my dog when he plays ball & rack up the steps! If my friends cheat then I won't join their challenge again.
Best Answer
My point is FitBit don't count manually entered steps to Leaderboards or
lifetime steps because they don't want people cheating.

My point is there a genuine people out there who aren't getting an accurate
reflection of their steps because of this. I.e swimmers, mud runners.

FitBit currently do not cater for these genuine people, but instead punish
these people in favour of the small minority who want to cheat.

As the last post said, if they want to cheat, let them cheat.
Best Answer

@enkerkee wrote:
My point is FitBit don't count manually entered steps to Leaderboards or
lifetime steps because they don't want people cheating.

My point is there a genuine people out there who aren't getting an accurate
reflection of their steps because of this. I.e swimmers, mud runners.

FitBit currently do not cater for these genuine people, but instead punish
these people in favour of the small minority who want to cheat.

As the last post said, if they want to cheat, let them cheat.

I really do not think they are "favoring" the cheaters.  I get what you are saying.  I think what you are trying to say is that you are getting punished along with the cheaters.

If stats really mean that much to you, then sure be upset.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very frustrating indeed.  You work hard in the 'competition'; and its not recognized in challenges.  Its the main reason for staying with Fitbit.  Social engineering going a wee bit far.

Guess I'm moving on....Garmin has some nice options.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wished my 2.4 mile swim counted in the challenge. I am having some hip and hamstring issues so I got back in the pool to get some exercise since I am limited.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wished my 2.4 mile swim counted in the challenge. I am having some hip and hamstring issues so I got back in the pool to get some exercise since I am limited.

Best Answer
0 Votes
FitBit doesnt care about your swim mate!
I'm actually surprised they havent changed their stance on this.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@AJRochester wrote:

Very frustrating indeed.  You work hard in the 'competition'; and its not recognized in challenges.  Its the main reason for staying with Fitbit.  Social engineering going a wee bit far.

Guess I'm moving on....Garmin has some nice options.

But they don't let you manually enter steps in challenges.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

It does really suck that manually logged steps don't count!  So unfair!!  My friends and I did a 10 mile walk all together this morning.  I forgot my fitbit.....now I am way behind for our challenge this week!  For those of us who sometimes forget it is a real bummer!

Best Answer

@sprueitt welcome aboard to the Community! I'm sorry for the steps you lost on your walk with your friends this week-end.Unfortunately since the challenge is supposed to be on the same level for everyone it needs to be measure in a value that will remain the same for everyone.

For manually logged activities there really is no way to compare if you went for a 2 hour insanity training (lots of effort an intensity with regular breaks, not that many steps) while your friend had a 2 hour Soccer match (periods of right intensity peaks followed by low intensity intervals, one big break, lots pf steps). Both had a lot of activity but it is very different ways. The only way for a competition to be fair is for it to be held under the same circumstances and the only data available on the tracker that remains equal is for the steps logged by the Fitbit tracker. 

I hopes this helps. See you around!

Best Answer
0 Votes
So when are you going to start to listen to WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT FitBit?

It seems to me to be quite clear.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's so funny how FitBit continues to offer lame excuses like this. HA! It's laughable at this point but seriously fun to watch the moderators scramble with an excuse. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow! Interesting! Your answer implies people cheat! If they do so they are only hurting themselves....My group of friends are honest and I wouldn't cheat them! I could put my Fitbit on my dog and have him run around with it if I wanted to be dishonest. Sad that Fitbit chooses to reward negative behavior and penalizes someone who is a little forgetful!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, this is their response, and it has been from the beginning, hence my
original annoyance.
They would rather cater to the minority that cheat in challenges that
really mean nothing, then cater for the honest people who use the product
for it's purpose.
It is quite frankly unbelievable.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@enkerkee @NotSoFatAnymore @sprueitt It's great to see you all in this thread! Thanks for sharing your feedback about manually steps not counting. This helps us to keep improving our products and services.

You can share your idea in our Feature Request board. People can vote for your suggestion and the more votes ig gets, the more chances it will have to be reviewed by our developers.

If more questions arise, let me know my friends! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Separate challenges from weekly leader boards with friends.  I work in education and we certainly do not base decisions on cheaters we hold cheaters responsible for their behavior and do not let the tail wag the dog.  I have had several instances including today where i charged my fitbit on Friday morning and had no idea the battery would be dead by Sunday at noon and lost my long run.  I entered data but clearly not the same.

I certainly get the fairness idea but hopfully you will reconsider as your product has nothing to do with real competitions and is only for individuals' improved health which only hurts the individual and no one else.  Been a fitbit user for many years and very sad about this decision that seems solely focused on something that certainly has less value that all the other positive things your product provides.

Best Answer
Come on FitBit!

How many more users have to complain before you listen to what your
customers want?
Best Answer

Hi there @drrasjr and @enkerkee. I really appreciate your feedback and I can understand your point of view. Indeed there are instances where reasons like you exposed on your post @drrasjr is require to add steps manually on your overall count. Note that our user's satisfaction remains our number one goal and we are listening all your feedback, however at this point I don't have updates regard a recent change with the challenges and manually log steps that I can share with you. 

@JuanJoFitbit has mentioned a great point on his post. The best place to share your feedback is our Feature Suggestion board. Our guys from the product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps.

I know this is not a solution but I will pass your comments with our team and if I know something about a change, I will let you know.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
I would like other activities to count in challenges. It's all about getting people moving and challenges help with motivation!!
Best Answer