Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually logged steps don't count for challenges or lifetime

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I think this needs to be reconsidered FitBit!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Manually-Logged-Steps-Not-Counting-Towards-Lead...

Manually logged steps do not count towards your 7-day leaderboards, in addition to Activity Groups. This change was implemented in order to mirror the behavior of Challenges, where only tracker data is pulled into the equation- this helps keep things fair.

I think it is BS that you are looking to cater towards the small number of people who will cheat just to win a challenge that proves nothing. When a company is tailoring it's product ideas towards cheaters and not towards the thousands of dedicated and motivated fitness users subscribed to their product, the company should take a long hard look at themselves.

You are greatly affecting people who use other methods of exercise other than "Steps". For example, swimming, cycling, treadmill and any others that appear in the above post.

I have also emailed you a formula to use when adding steps for Swimming and Cycling, as used by the Global Corporate Challenge.

Moderator edit: Format & updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118

@suksaf Thanks for joining us in this thread! The information that shared my friend @Kevin_S is totally correct. Manually logged steps don't apply for weekly report nor even for challenges since the weekly reports contain the steps that were taken with the Fitbit tracker.

I'll be around if more questions arise my friends! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

I can't  put my fitbit on at work. I'm a massage therapist and I walk plenty in between clients. I like fitbit simply because of the community aspect it really challenges me and motivates me, but when at least a quarter of my steps don't count I feel discouraged.  I'm always in 2nd to last place.  I might actually win once in a while if I could count all my steps.  : (

Best Answer

What kind of fitbit do you have? If it is an issue on not being able to wear something on your wrist you could get a second clip type fitbit (One or Zip) for while at work.  (You can have multiple Fitbits linked to your account and switch back and forth if they are different types).  A lot of women clip a One to their bra, so no one would even know you have it on if that's the issue.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I feel that my manually entered stwps need to be added (allowed) in the challenges. My fitbit died yesterday and I was unable to wear it during my training last night h this morning. My fitbit & treadmill are always count the same in distance & time. this is so unfare.

Best Answer

So nothing to do with “cheating” or trying to manually enter steps that were potentially not actually taken; I think it doesn’t take into consideration all lifestyles and it is very restricted ro

a 9-5 basic job. I agree you are only “cheating” yourself and your own progress but sometimes it really can’t be helped in occupations such as military or graveyard shifts etc. because when you are in a classified space and can’t have a wirelessly device it is as if you hadn’t no steps all day outside from the little time outside of that area OR since this device isn’t only water resistant again if you have some sort of water training or your workout of choice is swimming you have to manually enter that as well and again your are by default disqualified for lifetime points or daily 7 challenge. This device is so so limited and very impractical to all lifestyles. It is very disappointing to pay so much for what is now a paperweight / irrelevant. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit, why don’t you know when I’m briskly walking vs slowly walking and give me more credit?  Why can’t you count steps when I’m jumping on a trampoline?(Sarcasm intended)

I think the complaints here are mostly ridiculous.  You buy a Fitbit full well knowing what it tracks primarily, and this is STEPS.  Not swimming, not biking, not hula-hooping.  The challenges intent are to encourage users to excercise and take more steps than their peers, not be some 100% accurate measurement of the activity level of each person and tell us who is better.  I participate in challenges with a number of friends and NO one ever complains about how the Fitbit works.  If I forget to put on my Fitbit and don’t get steps for a day, that’s my fault.  I put on my Fitbit when I remember again and work harder to catch up.  Fitbit should not allow manually entered steps, because those are generalizations in themselves, not actual measured steps.   Y’all need to chill out a bit, this is a tool to get people active and healthy and put a little friendly competition in for encouragement, not some future age exact-o-meter to measure your every exertion and compare it to your friends.  

Merry Christmas!!!

Best Answer
It's you who needs to chill out. Look when I first posted my comments -
months ago and I've moved on. Yours is the first response to my original
post which makes feel a need to respond, because I detect a tone of
superiority in your response which is unwarranted and unwelcome (especially
at Christmas).

Fitbit markets itself as an 'Activity tracker'. The following is taken from
the current Fitibit official website for my Flex 2 which I copied just a
moment ago:

SmartTrack

Automatically track activities like running, sports and aerobic workouts,
then see exercise summaries in the Fitbit app.

It also boasts of its being 'swim proof'.

So anyone choosing to buy this device would be reasonably entitled to
expect the Flex 2 to track activities in addition to walking. I don't deny
its primary function, but Fitbit have been disingenuous to retail the
device implying that it is an effective activity tracker, when the numerous
supportive (not ridiculous) comments my post has generated clearly
illustrate that it is not.

Anyway, you can continue to be satisfied with what it does for you, and I'm
very happy for you (no sarcasm intended). I remain dissatisifed with it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am QUITE irritated as well.  Even using the track exercise feature (which records your activity and mileage via GPS) does not count towards your challenge steps.  I have forgotten my fitbit a few times on the charger when going on my weekly hike.  We hike the same Mt. every week, and with different trails our out and back hikes equal between 5 and 7 miles.  Even syncing the GPS verified activity did not add the steps to my challenge.  Quite ridiculous.  We ride bikes on a trail once a week.  And even that activity, monitored by GPS with that highly annoying voice that tells you your miles and pace, does not count these steps towards challenges.  I have been disenchanted by fitbit for a while, as one of my trackers broke within the warranty period and it took me several phone calls with different reps, and several online chats to get them to replace it.  What they replaced it with WOULD NOT CHARGE from the time of receipt, and they wanted to offer me a discount for a new charger for the one that THEY sent to me that DID NOT work.  

I am close to being done with fitbit.  In the years since they have been around, it seems that as much as their popularity raises, their customer service declines.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

They do not when tracked by GPS, even as set as an alternate tracker.  Every time over the past 4 months I have used it on a hike, it reflects in my dashboard steps, but not challenge steps.  I have and iphone 7 and set it up as an alternate tracker for the occasional days that I leave my Charge 2 on the charger.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've actually stopped using it now.

Trust me, move onto a better product.
Best Answer
0 Votes

There seem to be recurring references here to log requests so that developers can be made aware and consider making changes.
I used to be able to enter missing steps when I left the tracker charging or took it off due to inclement weather and was able to log afterwards. At some point in the last two years, a development decision was made to eliminate this option. Whether this was to eliminate cheating or otherwise (as has been discussed in great detail in this thread), who requested that change? Was it upvoted through the recommendation system? A change was made that seems to have discouraged or angered a community of users which seems rather unfortunate.
As Fitbit seeks to be user-focused and driven (according to company participation in this forum) one would think response allowing for flexibility in logging might have been an appropriate modification rather than an unsought for modification that seems to have been rather arbitrarily applied outside of the recommendation system. This reduces trust in Fitbit's recommendation system and the claim to be user focussed, no??

Disappointed to discover that steps could not be manually entered and count towards my challenge counts after my leather strap (a year old) wore out and nearly lost my tracker (more disappointment) so had to stow safely for the journey and lost out on 20K step until getting a replacement. Could have strapped it via tape or other but was relying on manual entry.
You can't really tell people - we hear you and just go through the normal system to request changes - when for all appearances a change to remove the functionality was made without going through the same system - or maybe I missed an outcry from people worried that their friends were 'cheating' and this was upvoted. It'd be nice to have real options.
Thanks,

Shawn

Best Answer

@eireidiumA predator activity caused Fitbit to tighten the way manual steps were created.  This predator had worked out that entering an unrealistic distance created millions of steps which put him at the top of the leaderboards in Community Groups.. That gave them the opportunity to attempt to message females to coerce them etc.. Use your imagination.

There was also the opportunists in the Challenges..

Unfortunately it has stopped stopped the honest ones using this facility .. I was inputting manual steps for water therapy. Like you when I forgot my Fitbit..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

What about when our Fitbit blaze devices are faulty and dont ciunt stels properly? I have had to get two fitbit blazes replaced because they can't track steps accurately. I have been using my Samsung and entering my steps manually to the Fitbit dashboard.

Now, not only can I not have my Blaze count my steps accurately, I can't even participate in challenges. So, so SO regret buying a Blaze. I'm constantly using my Samsung as a backup, I think I will make it my primary again! Who knows, maybe the third Fitbit Blaze is a charm?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why do people keep buying this rubbish?!?
Best Answer

I suggest wearing it around your ankle..most accurate step count

Best Answer

I think this should be changed because I have 2 trackers and I log in manually the steps recorded with the second tracker.

Best Answer

I think this should be reconsidered too. Today is a prime example. I wore my charge 2 while on a walk I walked 3 miles it barely tracked any of it. So I had to manually input that into fitbit. So I'm being punished for the fitbit not working how fair is that? I have since restated it and it seems to be working properly but that's not the point that 3 mile walk will never reflect in my challenges and that's just bull****.

Best Answer

@William_PR do you log them to the same account? If so that's doubling your steps and doesn't give a very good account of what you do. As well as adding more calories burned

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hello everyone.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and interest in the matter. We're always looking for ways to improve the overall situation and we take all comments seriously. 

Whenever we have anything to announce on the matter we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks for your patience, understanding and for coming in to help for the ones that have.

If there are any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

I agree I use the treadmill and add miles after workout. It absolutely makes ZERO sense that my manually added mile dont count toward daily steps or challenges .I paid for it why it's it what "I" want??.who cares if someoneay cheat, they won't see any results!! Change this Fitbit or this will be my LAST Fitbit!!!

Best Answer