Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the new website sleep page at fitbit.com/sleep

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

5/25/17 Edit: 

Hi all, we wanted to let you know that you can now see a timestamp while hovering over the sleep graph on both our mobile apps and the website. Thanks for your patience while we worked to bring this to you.

4/13/17 Edit: 

Hi everyone, and thanks for your patience while our team reviewed your feedback. The following points of concern have been addressed:

• Multiple logins required when visiting the sleep page - this has been fixed
  • Count of awake/restless - these stats now appear in the daily sleep record
  • Total minutes awake/restless - this stat now appears in the daily sleep record

The recent changes to the website sleep page were intended to bring it into parity with the mobile app. With the above additions, you’ll now find identical information across these platforms:sleepstuff.pngThe one exception is a timestamp while hovering over the sleep graph, which appears in our mobile apps but not the website. Our team is committed to bringing this function to the website sleep page later this year, with the goal of maintaining a consistent interface across all platforms.

Many of you also requested a “sleep quality percentage” stat. Our team has heard this interest, and are always exploring new features and tools that can help our users on their path to improve their sleep, health and fitness.

Thanks again for engaging in constructive conversation around these changes. If you have additional ideas, those can be posted on our Feature Suggestions board

4/4/17 Edit: I met with several teams today to make ensure that these concerns have been fully heard. At this point we've got some potential solutions under consideration, and I expect to hear back next week with something definitive to share with you.

Hi everyone, and thanks for your feedback and suggestions regarding the new Sleep page. I've merged a few threads into this one and updated the subject line to reflect the general discussion. Here are some answers to a couple common questions in this thread:

• How do I view/edit sleep data for an individual day?
    • Got to https://www.fitbit.com/sleep and click on any of the individual days below the bar graph to see data for that day. You can adjust start and end sleep times on this page.
  • Where is "Time to fall asleep"?
    • "Time to fall asleep"doesn't apply to trackers with automatic sleep detection (Flex and newer) - since you don't press a button to initiate sleep mode, there is no gap of time to measure between that action and the start of your sleep.
  • Why doesn't the "Today" button do anything?
    • Our team is looking into this.
  • Why do I have to login again when viewing the sleep page?

I've read through every post here, and it sounds like the feedback and concerns can be summarized as the following:

• I want to see a "Sleep Efficiency" score
  • I want to see the sum or times awake/restless
  • I want to see time duration when mousing over the bar graph
  • I want to see hour data when mousing over the sleep graph
  • I want to manually log multiple sleep sessions per day

To clarify: If you have a Blaze, Charge 2, or Alta HR, you will see Sleep Stages data on this page. The above feedback is from other users who instead see a graph that looks like this:

sleep screen shotsleep screen shot

Please let me know if there's something specific that is not on this list. Our team is definitely receptive to your feedback, and we will relay this info to them for consideration as they continue to refine and improve this page in the future.

I know that any change is going to be a little jarring, but please remember to keep your posts respectful and on-topic, per our Community Guidelines. This thread will be better for everyone as a constructive conversation.

Best Answer
1,014 REPLIES 1,014

I don't know what you mean by upgraded stages of sleep.  Is that on the mobile app?  Because the discussion is about the website app.  It doesn't list anything about stages of sleep.  It lists less information than was there before, in fact, because before, with one glance, you could see a chart with your hours slept and your hours restless in their own bar graphs for a week.  The time and percentages were readily available on the website before, and now they are not.  It sounds like they took the worst of the mobile app, put it on the website, and put some of the basics from the websites and put them on the mobile app, giving no one the best of either world.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue actually, the update to the sleep log on the Web site don't show the sleep stages.  It lets you take a view that shows the same Awake/Restless/Asleep bar that we had years ago, just full-screen.

Best Answer

This is a good point - if they're going to be putting in all the timestamp/latency/efficiency/etc. features for everyone in a different format and just haven't gotten around to giving them to everyone yet, they could save a lot of grief and bad PR by just coming out and saying so.

All I have is stagnant graphs.  No data, just a picture.  If it's a haphazard load, that sucks, but there's far less shame in admitting their servers couldn't handle updating everyone's accounts at once than letting half their users think they'd gutted the functionality of one of the four basic features.

Best Answer

@squirrelyone wrote:

This is a good point - if they're going to be putting in all the timestamp/latency/efficiency/etc. features for everyone in a different format and just haven't gotten around to giving them to everyone yet, they could save a lot of grief and bad PR by just coming out and saying so.

All I have is stagnant graphs.  No data, just a picture.  If it's a haphazard load, that sucks, but there's far less shame in admitting their servers couldn't handle updating everyone's accounts at once than letting half their users think they'd gutted the functionality of one of the four basic features.

Yeah, 5 pages in before someone mentions "sleep stages," so I went to the help portion of the site and searched for the term. It looks like it could be helpful, but I had to search for it before I saw any message concerning how "We started rolling this out to Charge 2 users on 3/27, and all Charge 2 users should have it soon." Well, there are many people who don't HAVE a Charge 2 - I have a Charge HR - and there's not even a NOTE on the /sleep page telling us that they're rolling out new functionality soon. All I knew was that I didn't have sleep data anymore, and not a single Fitbit moderator popped in here to say, "Hey guys, sit tight for a few days and you'll have new and improved graphs. We screwed up by taking away your data in the interim. Sorry."

Best Answer

No Blast from me, @J-flex, I like it as well. Now we will both get blasted!  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I just spoke with customer service and got some clarification as to why some people have the sleep cycle tracking and some don't.

Only those with an Alta HR, Blaze, or Charge 2 will get the new features.

Those with other models lose all the old features and get no new ones.

So those with those models, cheer on and love your life, those of us without, continue blasting!

Best Answer

You know, I need to thank you.  Because it wasn't until I got your messages that I realized we had two separate classes of Fitbit users here.  You inspired me to contact customer support directly to find out why you had a set of new features and I didn't.  Of course you're not upset.  You *do* have a bevy of new features.  And I say this without malice: I am happy for you and hope you get good use out of them.

Do kindly spare a thought for those of us who bought our devices a little bit before you did, though, and therefore do not get those new features but lost our old ones anyway.

Best Answer

So if I am understanding the post above, the only way to regain the sleep analysis tools is to dump my current tracker (HR 2), move to another Fitbit, and start over?

Is there any way to figure out the time of the red and blue bars of the new non-interactive sleep graphs?  This update is horrendous and guts the primary function that attracted me to this tracker.  If I can't figure this out or do a work around, I may have to move on to another; very upset that I have the extended warranty on this thing!!

EDIT:  Just discovered that the update to the android app also removed some sleep functions; going to attempt to find old versions for a downgrade.

Best Answer

No - there still isn't enough information.  I really liked the % shown for the day.  This is now as useless as viewing the sleep data on the app.

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit wrote:

I've read through every post here, and it sounds like the feedback and concerns can be summarized as the following:

• I miss seeing a "Sleep Efficiency" score
  • For trackers that don't detect Sleep Stages, I miss seeing the sum or times awake/restless
  • I would like to see time duration on the bars in the graph (perhaps on mouseover?)
  • I would like to be able to hide the Sleep Insights text box
  • I miss being able to manually log multiple sleep sessions per day
  • The "Today" button at top-right doesn't do anything

If there are only three devices that get the new Sleep Stages report, the rest of us are left without the important data we had access to just two days ago, which I think you've summed up well above. Please convey to the developers how important it is to the owners of all other devices to restore access to the sleep data and functionality we had previously. I know I specifically chose the Charge HR because of the way my sleep data was presented, as heart rate and sleep quality were the two most important functions I needed in a tracker. If my device isn't going to get the new sleep stages report, then Fitbit has taken away one of the only two reports that I care about, which decreases the value of the not-insignificant purchase price I spent to get it.

Best Answer

Just need to see times of night where I am up.  You can't see from the graph the time you were awake or up. That is important to me.

Best Answer

@WELLinTHIShouse Thanks for the ongoing feedback. Can you tell me specifically what data or functionality you'd like to see restored from the previous interface? Did I cover it all in my list? The more detailed I can make this info, the more likely it is to be implemented.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be nice if Fitbit advised us users ahead of time that it is instituting a dashboard change, instead of leaving us to happen upon it, wonder if our browser is misbehaving, wonder if we've clicked something unintended, google to see what's up, and only then discover that Fitbit has instituted a dashboard change.  Why not a brief notice ahead of time?

Best Answer

I'm still speaking with customer service.  I'm being told that, as the user of a Charge 1, my interface is supposed to be unchanged.  I'm told that it *is* unchanged.  I am insisting that it is undeniably *not* unchanged.

I am really starting to suspect that this whole ugly affair is just a bug that got out of hand.

Best Answer

Thanks very much for your response Matthew.  I would add to the list:

1. As a user I would like Fitbit to develop a research-driven user experience practice.
  2. As a user I would like Fitbit to adopt an agile continuous deployment development strategy.

These may solve many of your other problems before they turn into help forum cleanup jobs.

Thanks!

Best Answer

As I started this thread, I do not think it's fair to call this thread "solved." As an "early adopter" of the Charge HR, I still have valid concerns about my loss of functionality, while people who bought newer devices got more useful reports at the expense of the rest of us who only had sleep data taken away. What I've lost was one of the selling points for having chosen this model in the first place. This problem will not be "solved" until folks like me get a timeline for when our sleep functionality will be restored.

Best Answer

I don't think so -- if I learned one thing in my contacts with customer service, it's that they are as untrained as someone can be and still hold a job.

They try to be helpful, but no one tells them anything.

Best Answer

In addition to the items from his list, Matthew, in the old interface, you not only had a bar graph with your weekly hours asleep, but your weekly hours restless.  For those of us with sleep efficiencies of less than 50%, that graph is a very useful thing, especially situated as it had been next to the hours slept graph.  Is there any way the two graphs could be viewable side by side, or at least vertically comparable as they were?

Best Answer

@WELLinTHIShouse It's marked as "Solved" simply because I marked my own post as a Solution, with the intent of having it appear at the top of the thread so that everyone can see it and we can hopefully have a constructive conversation. I guess I'd ask that you not be concerned with the nomenclature - it's not a suggestion that the conversation is over.

Edit: I went ahead and merged everything into a new thread with my post at the top. This should let us have a constructive conversation without any confusion about why the word "Solved" would appear. Hopefully that helps.

I also edited the wording of the list and added your suggestion @squirrelyone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have always edited the sometimes 2 or 3 sleep sections for the one nights sleep and deleted the wrong ones and edited the main one to show time to go to bed and time got up.  This way there is one contiguous sleep pattern for each day.  Now, with this new idiocy, I show only 2 hours sleep in one block for the night and 5 in another and I can't edit them!  Do NOT defend not being able to change back to the old one, there is a growing groundswell of annoyance that you need to listen to, Mr Moderator!

Best Answer