Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the new website sleep page at fitbit.com/sleep

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

5/25/17 Edit: 

Hi all, we wanted to let you know that you can now see a timestamp while hovering over the sleep graph on both our mobile apps and the website. Thanks for your patience while we worked to bring this to you.

4/13/17 Edit: 

Hi everyone, and thanks for your patience while our team reviewed your feedback. The following points of concern have been addressed:

• Multiple logins required when visiting the sleep page - this has been fixed
  • Count of awake/restless - these stats now appear in the daily sleep record
  • Total minutes awake/restless - this stat now appears in the daily sleep record

The recent changes to the website sleep page were intended to bring it into parity with the mobile app. With the above additions, you’ll now find identical information across these platforms:sleepstuff.pngThe one exception is a timestamp while hovering over the sleep graph, which appears in our mobile apps but not the website. Our team is committed to bringing this function to the website sleep page later this year, with the goal of maintaining a consistent interface across all platforms.

Many of you also requested a “sleep quality percentage” stat. Our team has heard this interest, and are always exploring new features and tools that can help our users on their path to improve their sleep, health and fitness.

Thanks again for engaging in constructive conversation around these changes. If you have additional ideas, those can be posted on our Feature Suggestions board

4/4/17 Edit: I met with several teams today to make ensure that these concerns have been fully heard. At this point we've got some potential solutions under consideration, and I expect to hear back next week with something definitive to share with you.

Hi everyone, and thanks for your feedback and suggestions regarding the new Sleep page. I've merged a few threads into this one and updated the subject line to reflect the general discussion. Here are some answers to a couple common questions in this thread:

• How do I view/edit sleep data for an individual day?
    • Got to https://www.fitbit.com/sleep and click on any of the individual days below the bar graph to see data for that day. You can adjust start and end sleep times on this page.
  • Where is "Time to fall asleep"?
    • "Time to fall asleep"doesn't apply to trackers with automatic sleep detection (Flex and newer) - since you don't press a button to initiate sleep mode, there is no gap of time to measure between that action and the start of your sleep.
  • Why doesn't the "Today" button do anything?
    • Our team is looking into this.
  • Why do I have to login again when viewing the sleep page?

I've read through every post here, and it sounds like the feedback and concerns can be summarized as the following:

• I want to see a "Sleep Efficiency" score
  • I want to see the sum or times awake/restless
  • I want to see time duration when mousing over the bar graph
  • I want to see hour data when mousing over the sleep graph
  • I want to manually log multiple sleep sessions per day

To clarify: If you have a Blaze, Charge 2, or Alta HR, you will see Sleep Stages data on this page. The above feedback is from other users who instead see a graph that looks like this:

sleep screen shotsleep screen shot

Please let me know if there's something specific that is not on this list. Our team is definitely receptive to your feedback, and we will relay this info to them for consideration as they continue to refine and improve this page in the future.

I know that any change is going to be a little jarring, but please remember to keep your posts respectful and on-topic, per our Community Guidelines. This thread will be better for everyone as a constructive conversation.

Best Answer
1,014 REPLIES 1,014

In conjunction with the other posts I've just read, I am not happy with the lack of information on the new and definitely not improved sleep tracker.  I was very happy with the original version as I used the times on the restless and awake sections to figure out what might be causing a disturbed night in the hopes I could eliminate the cause and improve my sleep quality. I am disappointed that the response to people asking politely for the original version to be reinstated appears to be an emphatic 'no' from Fitbit. I'm sorry, but where is the customer service or care in that? Please listen to your users, Fitbit.

Best Answer

Times on the restless and awake bits so that we can actually make use of the sleep tracker. Without this its a pretty graph thats actually pretty useless!

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit wrote:

Edit: I went ahead and merged everything into a new thread with my post at the top. This should let us have a constructive conversation without any confusion about why the word "Solved" would appear. Hopefully that helps.

I also edited the wording of the list and added your suggestion @squirrelyone.

Crap, I lost everything I was typing up about the functionality we want restored. Um...let me try for a shortened version. Please refer to the second screenshot in this post for a picture of the old graph we're all missing, the one with the pink and blue lines.

Ideally, I'd like to just have that old graph back. But if you're going with the new "prettier" graph, here's what we need to restore old functionality:

• Sleep efficiency
  • Went to bed at
  • Time to fall asleep
  • Awake/Restless period counts
  • Clearly visible differences between awake/restless/asleep on the graph itself
  • Hour markers on the x-axis
  • Being able to mouseover any point on the graph to see what time it was when we switched from restless to asleep or vice versa.
  • Time in bed
  • Actual sleep time

If the developers could do that, it would restore all of the information we've lost. (Rolling back to the old code for all non-sleep cycle devices would work!) I know that changes take time, but if we could get a timeline for when we could expect to get our sleep data back, I think we'd all be pretty grateful.

Best Answer

You stated in another post that you will not revert the elimination of the sleep percentage.

What could possibly be your motivation for this?

Will you give me a refund for my charge 2, which I bought specifically for sleep tracking and sleep efficiency tracking?  You withdrew a feature that was part of the product when I bought it and now it's useless to me.

Best Answer

@WELLinTHIShouse Thank you - I really appreciate you typing that out (twice!). We plan to improve this new design, and I'm doing everything I can to make sure this feedback is heard so that we can bring it in line with these interests.

@Metabolitron I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Best Answer

I also like the ability to switch between normal tracking and sensitive tracking, for my own records.

Best Answer

I purchased my Fitbit specifically for the sleep tracker.  That information was very helpful when working with my doctor on my sleep issues.  I've actually made some positive changes & have improved my sleep since I started.

Today, I feel lost with the new layout.

*****04/01/17 Edited to add*****

I came back to see if any new information was available.  Unfortunately, now I realize that I'm in the "lower class" of users.  I'm also left to assume that this could have been an '"intentional" outcome to "force" users to upgrade.  (This is extremely funny because I was considering upgrading as my battery is currently losing the ability to stay charged.)  I understand that newer models get the newest features, but removing features from a product that I own for 15 months was a disappointing move by Fitbit.  Since I no longer trust Fitbit to not remove any functionality in the future if i upgrade, I'm also looking at the competitors product.   My original purchase wasn't about the price, I just wasn't sure this would be a good fit for me.  Since it was a really, really, really, REALLY good fit, I was at the point of an upgrade.  I have no other option than to shop around for my next sleep tracker since the thought of upgrading here has left me with very little confidence in this company.

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbitIs it true that we are never going to get the sleep efficiency percentage back?  A number of us have been asking for years for that to be made visible in the app rather than buried in the website, and now it's been taken away entirely.  Perhaps the people at Fitbit can't think why we like it, but it is useful for a number of people in a numebr of ways.

I'm also concerned that Fitbit is only concerned with users who are a) extremely active, and b) deliberately losing weight.  I realise that you can't market this as a medical device, but people are using it for helping track medical conditions nonetheless, and we feel that some of the updates are sabotaging that.

I think the sleep stages are rather nifty, but the implementation and particularly the rollout have been bungled.  Put back the sleep efficiency and make it visible in the app, put in charts for the sleep efficiency, do not under any circumstances use Adobe Flash again for anything, put back the pop-up markers on the graphs, and get rid of those "sleep insights", and you will no longer have a mutiny on your hands.  You've seriously damaged the value of this tracker.  I too am looking around for alternatives, and am prepared to go to Trading Standards if need be.  I only bought this tracker two months ago, it should not have lost its main functionality by now.  Especially considering that several functions are already not fit for purpose: the many stairs I supposedly climb without leaving my single-level flat; the appalling suggestion that I should be on a starvation diet of 700 calories because Fitbit has calculated my energy expenditure wrong, which cannot be removed from the website dashboard; the notifications that never work and never have.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Fitbit can not win with anything they add to their line. 

People have been crying to be able to view their sleep stages for two years now. 

Now that the user is able to see them, I see complaints that they don't like it with some threatening to return or sell their tracker. 

Actually I see 5 separate requests for this popular feature. 

This issue doesn't have anything to do with not liking features. It's the elimination of previous features that is the issue.

The problem is they removed several pieces of very useful data that the new feature does not provide. It has made a device many people bought use primarily for sleep information completely useless in the way they use it. And for people that don't have the newest devices, there is no new functionality, only less information/data available. No one expects their older device to have all the new features but taking away features they're always had is unacceptable. I

Best Answer

May I ask how one now is supposed to use the sleep data to watch for patterns that prevent you from getting to sleep as quickly? Seems like a step backward to eliminate time taken to fall asleep as this is perhaps the most important piece of sleep data a person needs. 

If I now have to manually track my going to bed times, times I actually wake up, what is the point of using a tracker? And why make trackers less effective as time goes by? Isn't the goal to make them more functional? 

Best Answer

Without actual data to review, it's just a cutesy watch now. Already had to stop using it to track food because it misses enough steps to not safely calculate calories burned. Then pretty much lost interest in tracking activities that can no longer be edited (if you forget to stop it when activity is over). Now the last thing it was really useful (sleep tracking) is gone too.

I was going to upgrade to a charge 2 as soon as I could but since I bought a current model only a year ago I have concerns now. I have no intention of paying an annual fee of 150$ to keep my tracker up to date. What assurance do we have that the charge 2 won't be seriously crippled by updates within a year or so? 

Best Answer

The problem is that the sleep percentage was taken away.  For example you may sleep 7 hours and 30 minutes.  You may have been awake so many minutes and up some many times.  The question is what is the percent that you slept.  Was it 95%?   90%?  This is the what i want to know.  We have been getting the percentage everyday until today.  This is important.  I have the HR Charge and have been getting the percentages for quite some time.  It has been very helpful.  This is what was removed from the new site.  The new site looks just like the site on the mobile platform.  I always go to the desktop version to get my percentage.  I can tell you i am not going to pay 50 bucks a year to find this information out if this is the plan.  i have a family that has three Fitbits and the Aria scale.  If everything is going to revert to charges I will unfortunately leave my 5 years of loyalty and go to apple.  I am a customer that loves to be loyal.  I will stick with you for 20 years if you treat me fairly.  Whoever decided to make these changes DID NOT consult with the people who use the product every day.  This is a case of bad communication internally.  This can turn into a PR disaster too for fitbit.  This needs to get fixed ASAP.

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbitIs it true that we are never going to get the sleep efficiency percentage back? 

I didn't say or hear anything like that. All this feedback is getting relayed, and I have made it clear to the team that Sleep Efficiency is the most commonly mentioned feature in this thread.

Best Answer

I have long thought that a larger sleep pattern graph would be easier to use, but it does not show the times of the sleep interruptions like the old one.  so it is less useful.  Also the net time asleep was on it, but now that is a separate step.

Also I could get to it with one click and now I have to dig down.  It was hard to find it when you made the change.

Tracking my sleep is the main reason I have a Fitbit.

Best Answer

To add to your list,

Time to fall asleep

for those trackers that support it

Best Answer

It's not the same at all.  Like others are saying. It's useless.

Best Answer

I love the new graph for the sleep! 

I have one question:   Does the Fitbit.com Dashboard have the ability to set bedtime or wake-up time target? 

I was looking forward to setting my schedule into the dashboard and using the graph data to help bring my sleep patterns back into a norm.   I love knowing the sleep cycles even if it took me a moment to realize that I can click on the dates listed below the graph to get daily data.  I was wondering what the "Today" choice is for.

Also:  Sometimes when I click on the sleep tap on the .com dashboard, I am required to log in again.  Is it possible to fix this so that I am not logging in every time I want to see sleep data?

Best Answer

Here is the danger of playing with the website and removing existing features.  You are going to destroy loyalty.  It is a known fact that Apple knows their watch has not caught up with the 4-7 days a fitbit can last.  They also know that they currently do not have the same detailed info that fitbit has. They also know their watch does not have sleep recording like fitbit does.  Unless you use a third party app.  However they are working on bringing out these features.  Apple knows that unless they have a watch that can last for days with these kinds of features; fitbit users are not going to jump to them.  However if they do come up with all of these features and fitbit users are losing more of what they used to have; then loyalty is going to go out the door. Latest news is that apple is working on a watch with cellular connectivity.   You combine this with fitness, sleep, etc fitbit's customer base is going to drop.  Don't ruin loyalty.  The reason why i have stayed with fitbit is because of the consistency of the information.  i am not going to pay for features i have been getting for free either.  If i was the CEO and knew what was happening right now I would figure he would ask for oxygen. Somebody down the chain in the company is about to sink it!

Best Answer

Well said!  Thank you.

Best Answer

Fitbit's response to a feature request getting a dozen votes per hour in relation to this is to lock the feature request and decline to undo this mess, while simultaneously insisting that they're listening.

Best Answer