Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Data Export tool isn't working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 09/25/17

This issue has now been fully resolved, and data exports should work normally again. Thanks everyone for your patience on this issue.

Fitbit Update: 09/06/17

We have identified a potential fix that will get things working again. However, it won't be possible for us to release this change before next week.

So we expect that the export tool will remain in its current state at least through the weekend. I know that we're all eager to see it resolved as quickly as possible, but wanted to set a realistic expectation.

Hi, everyone! Thanks for your reports about the Export Data tool. Our team is aware of the issue where you can't download your data and only get a spinning circle.They are looking into this some more and I will provide an update here once there is more information. Thanks for your patience!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
291 REPLIES 291

Thanks for the update.  Will we be able to download > 30 days of data once the functionality is working again?  The longer we wait, the longer the gap is between data downloads...

Best Answer

@rubie218 wrote:

Thanks for the update.  Will we be able to download > 30 days of data once the functionality is working again?  The longer we wait, the longer the gap is between data downloads...

You can download everything you need all together: you just specify in the custom range what other downloads you want. However, I really suggest that you head over to Nick Heiner's fitbit export site at http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/. I logged on using my Fitbit account, then clicked the "Download all available data as a csv" button on the front page.

Then, once the page of data comes up in my web browser, all I had to do was to go to File | Save As, direct where I wanted the 'export.csv' file to save to and with what name. Once the file downloaded, I was able to open it in Excel.

Best of all, I got ALL my data in one go, from the date my Fitbit was manufactured. Not just a measly 31 days. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately for me i need the food list for my bariatric doctor on Friday.  I also agree that a note on the non working screen would have been nice since I have used the chat and voice support and neither advised me that you were aware and have been aware of the issue since August 24th.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please be advised that the fitbit export site hosted on azurewebsites, mentioned several times in this thread, is a 3rd party app and just uses fitbit's API to retrieve your data. While your login credentials are safe, you're giving that app rather free reign over your fitbit data. Probably nothing nefarious going on, but I just wanted to ensure everyone is aware this is just a random site some person built and it's not in any way an official fitbit tool.

Best Answer

Oh wow. And I thought my post was really moderate compared to many of the posts remaining on this topic and was actually meant to moderate between the ticked off users and the Fitbit personnel.

Even got two "thumbs ups".

I guess I was wrong.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

My Charge 2 worked today!

We'll see what happens tomorrow. 

Understanding, Happy and patiently waiting...

Love my Charge 2 !!

Best Answer

@rusmo wrote:

Please be advised that the fitbit export site hosted on azurewebsites, mentioned several times in this thread, is a 3rd party app and just uses fitbit's API to retrieve your data. While your login credentials are safe, you're giving that app rather free reign over your fitbit data. Probably nothing nefarious going on, but I just wanted to ensure everyone is aware this is just a random site some person built and it's not in any way an official fitbit tool.

As stated, the referenced app (http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/) indeed uses APIs that Fitbit makes available to anyone -- well, you do need some level of computer programming skill to be one of those anyones. So if you can and want to do some coding using the REST APIs go here:

https://dev.fitbit.com/reference/web-api/#quick-start.

The full APIs provide much more capability than this app provides, and the dev.fitbit link has some other examples.

Also note that Nick's (the referenced app) code is available to inspect as it's hosted on github and is open source. You can verify the handling of your credentials (i.e., that they're not written or saved but simply passed through) -- or, you can ask a programmer friend of yours to do so.

If all of what I wrote is just so much gibberish to you, that simply means you're a normal person and not a programmer ;o)

While this could be a solution for anyone with the skills to use them and the time to put together an app (if the existing example isn't sufficient), it's limited to folks that are able to use it. It's neat that Fitbit does offer the ability to integrate directly into various other tools or apps but again, not something everyone will be able or willing to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any update on this? I have a meeting tomorrow with nutritionist and could do with my data downloaded.  I have tried windows 7, windows 10, safari, chrome and IE

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check out messages 192 and 195.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Everyone, wanted to let you know we are still actively working on this issue. I will update this thread once I learn more. Thanks for your continued patience. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

I Hope you get this fixed soon. I've been trying to export my monthly data since last week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still not working ???? Really bad for fitbit and its name 😞

Best Answer

Fitbit says "your data belongs to you". But so far I can't even download the basic summary data from the fitbit website [settings > "Data export"] Anyone successful at getting the data export to work, or figuring a way to scrape data from the website? Unix, python, R or other codes? I'm a Mac user and not sure if this is specific to Apple OS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried an R package called fitbitScraper. Worked for me last week when I tested it... not working for me this week. Some issue with login cookie. It really shouldn't be this hard.... it's our personal data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There's a known bug with the data export function at the moment. See the first post in the following thread for the latest updates from fitbit:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Data-Export-tool-isn-t-working/td-p/2163843

There are also other posts in that thread that discuss a possible alternative way to download data.

Best Answer

I realize the benefit and need for Fitbit to implement a "cloud-based" relationship between the hardware device and the data it produces. However, this implementation sidelines users who would like to use the device without the need to be connected to the Fitbit servers. Their choice also opens the door for problems exactly like the "data export" problem. If Fitbit plans to use solely the cloud-based model, then they definitely need to "step it up" to provide robust access to data for users.

I would love to have the option to (really) turn on/off data sharing. After all, it is the Fitbit users who are sharing their data with the manufacturer. Instead of purchasing premium service, Fitbit should 1) provide premium service for free to those users who are sharing data and 2) charge other users who are not.

Just my 2-cents while we wait for the Fitbit team ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

same.  following.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you also tell us what the problem is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

is this a serious question - Data Export is not working... still not !!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

so frustrating..  still waiting here too

Best Answer
0 Votes