Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Data Export tool isn't working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 09/25/17

This issue has now been fully resolved, and data exports should work normally again. Thanks everyone for your patience on this issue.

Fitbit Update: 09/06/17

We have identified a potential fix that will get things working again. However, it won't be possible for us to release this change before next week.

So we expect that the export tool will remain in its current state at least through the weekend. I know that we're all eager to see it resolved as quickly as possible, but wanted to set a realistic expectation.

Hi, everyone! Thanks for your reports about the Export Data tool. Our team is aware of the issue where you can't download your data and only get a spinning circle.They are looking into this some more and I will provide an update here once there is more information. Thanks for your patience!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
291 REPLIES 291

Just wanted to add my name to the list of those impacted. I also download my data once a month to track my sleep for health purposes. As a sufferer of cluster headaches, I bought my Fitbit to help me analyze my sleep patterns.

Best Answer

thanks for the update.  this is such an important feature for me as I have to turn in a food journal every week to my nutritionist. 

Best Answer

I've been trying to download MY data for my cardiologist. Its now 1st September. Being able to report progress and activity is an integral part of the whole process.

Best Answer

I've only been trying to download for the last 3 days, the crazy thing is when you contact support about it, initially they try to help and then after a few exchangers admit is faulty. WHY NOT SAY THIS FROM THE START... muppets! Also they have no idea when it will be fixed, not even an estimate 😞

Best Answer

Been trying since the 24th. Would like to know when its available again

Best Answer

Wouldn't we all!

Sadly it looks like Fitbit is a company on the brink of collapse.  Perhaps they're so short of cash that they can't even afford to pay the support staff to pretend they are interested - let alone the software engineers to actually sort the problem out.

We've got 20 Fitbit devices in our group.  Thankfully they were all bought in the Europe, so we're entitled to a refund under consumer law as they are no long functioning.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I hate to admit this. I needed the data for a medical appointment so I sucked it up and paid the $50 for premium. I still couldn't export but the food reports had the info I needed which was a listing of all the foods I have eaten.
Best Answer

You should complain to your credit card company that you've been enticed to purchase a service that the provider subsequently failed to deliver.

Best Answer

Seriously still not working?!?!.  Maybe FITBIT you need to outsource and find some IT engineers that are capable of creating a software patch to fix this issue. Ridiculous, very disappointed.  Anyone familiar with Garmin and how their products work?

Best Answer
In my experience Garmin works Pretty well over all. Only downside with Garmin is they tend to release products early so they have a few bugs on release, but that being said they will fix them promptly. Anything by Garmin 2nd generation or a year after initial release would be a good buy IMHO. I have never experienced a major wearable company that just ignores functionality problems and customer issues like FitBit. Garmin is a little expensive but much more capable than the FitBit's offerings in regards to monitoring sports performance.
Best Answer

I also use the data export.  Add me to the list of frustrated exporter's.

Best Answer

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Fitbit Update: 08/28/2017

Hi, everyone! Thanks for your reports about the Export Data tool. Our team is aware of the issue where you can't download your data and only get a spinning circle.They are looking into this some more and I will provide an update here once there is more information. Thanks for your patience!

What is the status of this? It has been several days and this is still broke.

Best Answer

Any update on this?  I've been trying to export since last Friday (8/28) and have been unsuccessful.  

Best Answer

I have also been trying to export my step data for the last 2-3 days without success. I thought it was just me until I came here and saw the forum posts. Ultimately, I am trying to download 4 years of data, so I guess I will be running this export just a few times since I am limited to 31 days per attempt. A few months ago, after my Fitbit One died (out of warranty), I switched to a Garmin Vivofit (the really old one since I found it really cheap) and I am trying to consolidate my step data in one place. I found a site that let me export the data in bulk, but apparently, I need the file in the Fitbit CSV format.

In the meantime, while I wait for Fitbit to fix this, does anyone have an example output CSV file they can share, or at least the first line so I can get the headers and maybe I can rearrange my other file to the correct format?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Everyone,

Just an update, our Engineers are still working on this issue. Thanks for your reports. Once we have an update, I'll be sure to update this thread. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

Here you go:

Activities         
DateCalories BurnedStepsDistanceFloorsMinutes SedentaryMinutes Lightly ActiveMinutes Fairly ActiveMinutes Very ActiveActivity Calories
4/1/20171,9672,7361.2601,3677300314
4/2/20171,7290001,4400000
Best Answer

Thank you so much! I was able to take the data from http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/ and change it into this file format and successfully imported my data into Garmin Connect!! I now have a complete step history going back to October 2013 in one place. 

If anyone tries to do this, just make sure your CSV file has the following two lines at the top:

Activities
Date,Calories Burned,Steps,Distance,Floors,Minutes Sedentary,Minutes Lightly Active,Minutes Fairly Active,Minutes Very Active,Activity Calories

Then, open up the file from the site I listed above and copy the data to fit these columns.

The Garmin Connect import can only handle a certain amount of data at a time, so I had to break my large data file into 3 or 4 smaller files of about 7-8 months each before it would import properly.

Best Answer

A co-worker asked me how I liked my fitbit. I told him the device was okay but the devs were terrible at fixing issues.  That's one lost sale...

This export problem has been going on for a while now.  At least update the 'export' link to reflect that it's broken rather than have customers watching a spinning icon.

Terrible service...

Best Answer

Uggg, well at least it isn't just me.   Hoping this will be fixed quicker than the GPS  on the Blaze 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

fmagic thanks for the URL. It works fine and I was able to acquire my August data. Beware US or non metric people Fitbit reworks /converts the data to your preferred format in the regular export link. Therefore my weight was in kg. My distance was in an impressive km and lost face when converted to miles. Other discrepancies are with the activity calories burned. Subtract column E from Column D. I will try this link again in 30 days. The reworking of the data will be simple next time. 

Once again thanks.

Best Answer