Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing with Apple’s Health App

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have Cervical dystonia and use use the Apple health app to help track my condition.  It would be great to see Fitbit synchronize directly with the Apple Health app. 

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

@SunsetRunner - Your link raises some interesting questions. The way I read/understand the info in your link, this is not an order to require various data collectors to work with one another. It seems more like a one off ... moving to a different clinic/doctor’s office and you need your records transferred ... they have to comply. Have any of our EU folk been able to directly sync Apply Health and Fitbit? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well it isn't hugely clear from the text on the link itself, and they just give a super simple example but I'd say if you looked at the relevant bit of the legislation which is linked at the bottom it would be clearer.

Certainly it seems that they have to make it sendable it to whoever you wish in machine readable form if requested, so I guess it also depends how a court would interpret that aspect of the legislation, but the whole intent of the GPDR is to give citizens as much control as possible over their data, so if Fitbit and Apple are refusing to permit such data transfers at the request of the user, they may well be acting illegally.

It also seems suspicious that Fitbit seems to be the only manufacturer of devices of this kind which will not send data to Apple's HealthKit - what is it about Fitbit's practices that have caused Apple to turn them down (if indeed that is true)?

Best Answer

It’s almost 2020 . Are we still do not gonna sync up data to Apple Health?

heard google gonna buy Fitbit as well , will it make any difference ?

Best Answer

@Primalvincent - Do YOU think Apple will be any happier with Google?

Best Answer

I bought 2 years ago 6 fitbit charge2 for my family and was surprised and disappointed they didnt sync with Apple Health. Beside that everyone was happy with fitbit. (I had and and still have apple watch, but I bought fitbit for my wife, mother, father, sister and wifes parent)

For black friday my mother and father changed to Withings with Steel HR and are happier than ever. The rest will follow soon. Bought also the scale and blood preasure monitor with ECG. My wife went for Apple Watch. 

to be short: 6 customers away and everyone else who sees that expresses interest to buy the Withings activity tracker Steel HR. 

Once Nokia was the biggest smartphone company with huge advantage but they resisted to make their OS open to other companies and after that Android was born which was open OS.  Then they saw they were leaking but still resisted to abandon their OS in favor of Android because many loved their products and they believed this would keep them strong. But this lasted just for a bit and with tears, me and many others abandoned Nokia for Iphone and Nokia vanished. 

The same is going to happen to Fitbit. Great community, great products but very stubborn company in modern time. Sad to see the end of Fitbit coming.

if Google buys Fitbit it means they were losing customers and had to be sold. Google might just wait a bit to buy Fitbit for 2 cents when it is in real trouble and then make these changes everyone expects. Otherwise Fitbit is going to vanish. 

Best Answer

Hard for we consumers to really know the strategies, politics, etc. of the choices these companies make.  We can only guess.  

My guess is that Fitbit’s long term strategy is heavily centered on getting users into the Fitbit ecosystem and offering more products and services via that ecosystem.  They may see allowing the easy syncing of  Fitbit data into Apple ecosystem as contrary to those goals.  

Given that Apple Health readily syncs with most of the other major players in the fitness tracker category (e.g., Garmin, Polar), this seems to be a Fitbit choice, not an Apple choice.

I have no idea whether or not this will prove to be a savvy choice on Fitbit’s part.  I can report, however, that it drove me away.  I bought an Apple Watch Series 3 when that product was released.  The two draws were the far more robust smart watch offerings (beyond fitness tracking) and the fact that I could swim with it.  There was truly waterproof Fitbit yet.  I started syncing Apple Health with third party services and apps like WW.  But I did not want to wear the Apple Watch all the time.  I needed a tracker that would sync with Apple Health.    

I was an early Fitbit adopter — Flex, Charge, Charge HR, One, ZIP, Alta).  I wanted to stay in the Fitbit ecosystem.  But when I Iearned that Fitbit would not sync with Apple Health, I  reluctantly moved on.  Now, I use a Garmin Vivofit 4 when I want a thin, unobtrusive fitness band.  I use a Garmin Instinct when I need satellite based GPS tracking as well as standard fitness tracking.  And I use my Apple Watch.  If Fitbit ever resolves the Apple issue, I would certainly look at Fitbit when I next need a tracker.

Best Answer

There's a very elegant 3rd party solution to this. It's an app called Power Sync. You can sync all your data to Apple Health. They even offer automatic daily sync.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/power-sync-for-fitbit/id1071544839

I tried all other options, they're all manual and not as easy.

Best Answer

I’ll keep that in mind when the next time to upgrade or change devices rolls around.  But, really Fitbit, this shouldn’t be necessary.

Best Answer

BTW, recent reviews of Power Sync are awful.  They certainly don’t give me comfort that were I to purchase a Fitbit, I’d have seamless synchronization with Apple Health.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In response to whether I think Apple will be any happier with Google than with Fitbit, I think it unlikely that there will be any quick change to Apple and Google synchronizing their apps!

R.S.
Best Answer

I’m frustrated that this is still a thing! It makes no sense why Fitbit won’t allow their data sync to Apple Health. I may just switch to the Garmin Vivoactive 4 once that becomes more affordable.

Best Answer

I do not buy Fitbit’s response to the question of syncing with Apple Health. Even Withings Health Mate synchs with Apple Health and many other Sleep aids such as Pzizz, Calm, etc. Perhaps Fitbit could come clean as what the ’obstructions’ are. Why on earth should Apple obstruct Fitbit regarding integration of data when Apple Health inherently behaves as a central data store and synch for all Health data. Why exclude Fitbit? This makes no sense. There must be some other hidden agenda going on. 

I have used 3rd party apps to synch Fitbit with Apple Health. Almost without exception these apps cost and there are many of them - a fertile niche market! There is very little to indicate how good the apps are or if they even work so I have very little confidence or desire to invest in any of them. 

If Fitbit do nothing to resolve this niggle they will lose market share probably to Withings /(Nokia?) who are about to launch some very interesting health data capture products which look good, include heartbeat analysis (not just pulse rate) and have very impressive charge lifetime figures... watch out Fitbit......!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doesnt make much sense to hate on capitalism, when capitalism is what made things like smart watches possible, right? Think about it, before America introduced capitalism less than 245 years ago, what was the extent of man kinds inventions for the last 10k years..maybe the horse and buggy??

Best Answer
0 Votes
’Hate on Capitalism’??? Are you implying that it does not make sense to criticise Fitbit’s ’capitalist’ approach to business as it is this philosophy which encourages the development of all the new products we ’crave’? I.e. all innovation is born out of the profit motive? That seems to me to be a somewhat cynical narrow view of life or Man’s nature. All that is being asked is that Fitbit engages with some pragmatism and takes an apparent strategic path which will do its products an excellent service and make a lot of its customers happy and more likely to stay customers rather than switching to competitors - isn't that ’capitalistic’? So where’s the ’hate’?
Best Answer

The fact that Fitbit don't sync to apple healths speaks bad about Fitbit. I'll stop using my Fitbit weight and change to any other with apple health sync.

Best Answer

@Citan wrote:

The fact that Fitbit don't sync to apple healths speaks bad about Fitbit. I'll stop using my Fitbit weight and change to any other with apple health sync.

And this is exactly what Apple is hoping. The reason Fitbit does not sync to AppleHealth is that Apple won’t allow it!

Best Answer

I found that MyFitnessPal will sync with Fitbit, which will do some syncing with Apple health. Like weight.

Best Answer

You can use MyFitnessPal it will sync to both and update as you sync with your Fitbit app, I’ve been doing this for years and it’s free

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the ’solution’ To Fitbit’s lack if Apple Health synch.

I have used MyFitnessPal and I must admit me as totally unaware the product had this capability.

What configuration settings are required to enable the function?

Regards
Best Answer
0 Votes

Myfitnesssync.com does it. 

Best Answer