Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The activity TCX file could not be downloaded. We are looking into the issue.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, since last Saturday (Sept 30) I have been unable to export and download TCX files from my recorded activities. When I select the activity and click Export TCX, the message "The activity TCX file could not be downloaded. We are looking into the issue." briefly appears for a moment (that I had quite a hard time trying to actually highlight and copy the text to clipboard before it disappears).

I also checked and discovered that my other previous activities, which I had already downloaded and saved TCX files previously, now also generate this error.

I did a search and found another similarly-titled topic dated April this year, but from initial reading I don't think it is related as people in that topic are talking about exporting to external apps (e.g. Strava), instead of downloading a direct TCX file to the PC.

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

I have exact same problem

Best Answer

Same problem, same start date, so this seems to have arisen with a version change of the online Fitbit utility. I hope Fitbit is not quietly trying to make it unavailable with a basic subscription.

Best Answer

Anybody have solution yet? I m starting to loose my patience. Thinking to change for Garmin. Should not be difficult to put back something that was there before.

Best Answer

I've email support 3 times in the past 2 weeks without reply. I'm with you. I'm switching to Garmin in a few weeks.

Best Answer

@donlooky@atwl77@Kadakas and @HNYBDGR - 

Check out the post "Still can't download!" on this board - Latest post on ‎12-06-2017 13:34 California time.

There is a few rather long posts by myself and @USAF-Larry that apparently show that the issue may be isolated to windows platforms, or at least not an issue with linux and OS-X.

I know that I cannot download tcx files from my work system (Windows 7 Pro and IE 11) but can from my home system (MacBook Air and Safari).

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

That may very well be, but Garmin must have cared enough and fixed the issue if they had the issue. Using the same browser, and computer, I can download a TCX file from Garmin. 

Best Answer

Same problem, on Win7. Wouldn't need this if Fitbit had prettier sharing options (IG, Twitter, FB) and better stats.

So there's work to be done! Soon! NOW!

Best Answer

This problem still exists in May 2018!

In Microsoft Edge I get the error message in the subject line of this foprum post. Using Chrome, the TCX file does download, but it contains only header information and no actual data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2"><Activities>

<Activity Sport="Other">
<Id>2018-05-02T16:10:37.000-07:00</Id>
<Creator xsi:type="Device_t" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Name>Fitbit Blaze</Name>
<UnitId>0</UnitId>
<ProductID>0</ProductID>
</Creator>
</Activity>
</Activities>

</TrainingCenterDatabase>

I'm using W10. Come on FitBit! This has been broken for a year!

Best Answer
Since I need to be able to download my data for analysis, I confess I ended up buying an Apple Watch and use RideWithGPS to get to my data. Now just use the fitbit for monitoring resting heart rate at night...
Best Answer

I should point out that the TCX export works fine for Walk exercises, but does not work for Workout exercises. Hope that helps...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks to me like we're not getting an answer. Smiley Sad That's a bit poor FitBit.

Best Answer

Holy crap it's been more than six months and we're still right at square one. I had trouble syncing my brand new Garmin Edge 1030 so I thought I would try to get a TCX from my Fitbit, but there it is again. The same **ahem** message.

Best Answer

I have a case open with tech support right now but am not hopeful Smiley Sad

Best Answer
I did that a year ago. Actually twice. Never heard a word from anyone.
Best Answer

Was able to download the TCX file using Firefox 61.0 (64-bit) after failing with IE, Edge and Chrome.  Hope that helps!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Sit-a- Bit (great name).

Was there any data in the file? I have been able to get downloads, but there was no data, just header information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

lol thanks!  yes - the file downloaded with all info i expected - not just headers.  for instance full longitude and latitude values were present.  hope that helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Four years later and this is still an issue. I'm generally pretty happy with my Fitbit hardwear, but the software issues and total lack of customer support are making me rethink this purchase and subscription. Absolutely frustrating and unacceptable.

Best Answer
0 Votes