Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing and downloading data.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my first FitBit for Christmas - a Blaze - and my wife got a Charge 2. We are thoroughly enjoying them.

I would like to get at my data, for medical reasons, but have not seen a comprehensive guide to viewing and downloading my data. So here’s what I think is the situation. Please correct me if I’m wrong:

1. Website login.

I can view my data in all sorts of ways.

2. Apple and Android apps.

Similar views of data to the website. I normally use iPhone/iPad apps. 

3. Download data from the website

I can use “Data export” to download selected data from the website as a cvs or xls file.

The data is summary only, not detailed.

Data export is not available from the apps. 

4. Third part apps.

There are plenty of apps out there that can access my FitBit data for me.

To get my detailed heart rate data, I had to join a squash league to access their app.

I don’t play squash but this seems to be the accepted FitBit solution.

5. Write my own app.

If I want other data, eg, detailed sleep data, I have to write my own app.

So I need my own development website and download the software development tools.

Looking at the community posts, this seems to be the accepted FitBit solution.

Am I missing something?

Knowing if there are other apps around would be useful but I’m really just trying to understand if this how it works. The need for 4. seems odd enough but I’m bemused if 5. really is the case.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @LaurenceW,

All correct. I think quite a few people print out their sleep or heart rate charts from the web dashboard.

In terms of #5, I would recommend looking around for an app that does what you're looking for (not sure what you mean by detailed sleep). There are a lot of developers working on apps right now, and it might be easier to use theirs instead of writing your own.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @LaurenceW,

All correct. I think quite a few people print out their sleep or heart rate charts from the web dashboard.

In terms of #5, I would recommend looking around for an app that does what you're looking for (not sure what you mean by detailed sleep). There are a lot of developers working on apps right now, and it might be easier to use theirs instead of writing your own.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community @LaurenceW! Hello @WavyDavey.

Like @LaurenceW mentioned, you're pretty much in point with all of your points. I'd like to mention that we're always looking for ways to improve and on top of that, the idea to have this Community is to have a place were users can  help among themselves. That leads to situations like the Squash League way to get HR data. I have suggested it myself, but I have to be clear that it is not Fitbit developed and thus we can't fully guarantee the functionality. 

As for exporting and getting more information. There is also the option, on top of either developing your own or looking for other third-party apps, to go to our Feature Suggestions board and support the ideas you think should be implemented, or create your own suggestion. I did find this suggestion to include a way to import the sleep information. Perhaps you could comment on it or vote for it if it does cover what you'd like from sleep. If not, you could try creating your own suggestion.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the link to Export sleep stages.

I’m a bit puzzled because the times in each sleep stage can already be exported.

Maybe I need to put in my own Feature Suggestion as you recommended.

The detailed data I was hoping for is at what times the various sleep stages happen.

Maybe minute by minute or whatever interval is used internally.

I occasionally experience vasovagal syncope (sudden drop in blood pressure and heart rate) and was hoping to see if there was any relation to sleep patterns - well the bit immediately before I wake up. 

The data is clearly there - and probably accurate enough for the level of research I had in mind - but I can’t get at it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @LaurenceW.

Thanks for reaching back and for that clarification.

Very interesting and I can absolutely see why you'd want to get that data. It makes sense.

Perhaps the best way to move forward at the moment is to create the Feature Suggestion detailing exactly what is on your mind. It could definitely help.

Hope to see you around.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have read the thread and also had a very quick look for similar topics, cant see one that covers my question.

I would like to be able to download any of my personal data, gathered from my Fitbit Blaze, into an XLS or second choice CSV file. I want to analyse walk times / step distances so i can then make better predictions on commuting times / routes, using public transport around UK, especially in London area.

Can anyone advise how this can be done (download)? As the data held on Fitbit servers is my personal data, I don't think i am compromising any data regulations by requesting this.

Thanks, Jon B.

Best Answer

Hello @F1Jon.

Thanks for sharing what you'd like to do and what data you'd need.

There is a way to export your data. It is not sorted in the way that you described and might not be entirely useful to the purposes that you described, but it is a way to get your data. 

As I mentioned above, maybe you could create a suggestion post talking about the specifics that you;d like to extract from the Dashboard. You can read more about the way that the Feature Suggestions board work by reading the FAQ.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes