Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which BMR calc to use

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

this calc

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/metric-bmr-calculator.php

gives my BMR as 1897

but this one

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

gives

1821 !!

(for 185cm tall, 90kg, 48 years,male)

whats the go? which does fitbit use?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@rogerw Fitbit uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation so I would go by your myfitnesspal link. I just tried it and it's within 2 calories of my Fitbit BMR.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@rogerw Fitbit uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation so I would go by your myfitnesspal link. I just tried it and it's within 2 calories of my Fitbit BMR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

can i ask how you worked out your fitbit bmr?

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are different ways. One way is to read it directly off the calorie tile on the dashboard after clicking back in time to a day before you created your account. This assumes weight and age then is what it is now. So if you created your Fitbit account on xmas day just gone you would look at 24 Dec.

Another more crude way is from the activities web page. Click calories then hover over a few 5 minute bars when you were alseep then multiple to fit into 24 hours. So for example, one of your 5 minute bars when asleep could be 6 calories, the next 6, the next 7. So that's 19 cals per 15 mins = BMR of 1824 for the 24 hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello all, i am trying to work out all the numbers and am making progress!!

i have turned OFF the estimation stuff which helps and so these numbers are actual numbers:

LINE 1. have had no food or steps: working out my calc BMR against the onein fit bit - got this ok.

LINE 2: added breakfast (333 cals) - now reads left to eat 1330-333=997 - cool

LINE 2: sync and get steps done - 3264 steps - it then says i have burnt my BMR (1252) and (332) for walking - OK.  And best of all i can eat the 332 as my Left to Eat goes up by 332.

What i am worried about is that it seems to have given me .1 calories burnt per step. I normally work on 0.04  - that is there is no way i burnt 332 in only 3264 steps. (PS. they are only sedentard steps - around the house).  Can someone please explain this - thanks.

FitBit.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks fruno - am on track now 🙂

Best Answer