Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLEX2 and inaccurate lap count

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have set my FLEX2 to auto-recognize swimming and set my pool length at 25 yards. Initially, the number of yards and laps reported on the Fitbit seemed to be accurate, however, lately I have been counting my laps, and there has been an increasing discrepancy. I have been consistently swimming 100 laps in 60 minutes  and the Fitbit reports anywhere from 71-90 laps in 60 minutes. Today, it reported 23 laps in 17 minutes! Help!

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

@MJBF Thanks for joining us! Try restarting your Flex 2 by doing the following:

1.- Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or a UL-certified USB wall charger.
2.- Remove the pebble from the wristband and press it into the compartment on the charging cable. The pins on the charging cable must align with the corresponding pins on the back of the pebble to lock securely in place.
You’ll know the connection is secure when the pebble vibrates and you see the indicator lights blinking.
3.- Find the button on the charging cable below the tracker compartment.
4.- Press it three times within five seconds. The tracker vibrates each time you press the button. A few seconds after the third press, all the lights will flash simultaneously. This means the pebble has restarted. If you miss the light flash but notice the pebble has resumed charging, that too is confirmation that the restart was successful.
5.- Remove the pebble from the charging cable and insert it back into the wristband.

You could also try changing the length of the pool on the account then save it after this change it back and save again and sync your tracker.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have reset my Fitbit before, but tried it again, along with your suggestion of changing the length of the pool on my account, etc.  Bad news: yesterday I swam my usual 100 laps in 60 minutes, and my Flex 2 did not even acknowledge my swim (the same thing happened last week)!  I think I have a lemon, and want to return it and try a new one. Please advise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got this fitbit to track swimming.  It is really inconsistent on lap counts.  I swim 72 lengths, but have gotten counts from 41 to 75.  The little graph, however, is accurate.  Is there some trick to get it to count, like making sure you swim for a certain time?  (Also, it doesn't think sidestroke is swimming!)  I was pleasantly surprised to find I am swimming twice as far as I thought, and I checked the calculation to be sure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The best suggestion I can come up with is to make sure your turns are clear turns. I use either a tumble turn or  a stop and push off type of turn. I am pretty sure sidestroke would be recognised as it is very close to breast stroke. Maybe I'll try it some time! The length of time shouldnt be a problem, as long as you are over the minimum (whatever you have that set at). Lets us know how things pan out.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I got a replacement Flex2 (free, because my original was not accurately recording my swims). This one does not seem to be doing much better! Yesterday I swam 100 laps all freestyle, which I counted. I did not stop longer than a few seconds to clear my snorkel mask, and I made clean turns. The time amount was accurate, but the lap count was at 80. Previously (with the replacement Fitbit), I was varying my stroke (10 freestyle, 8 breaststroke, 8 backstroke, 8 kicking only, 10 freestyle, and so on), for a total of 100 laps- again, not stopping for more than a few seconds and making clean turns. Those workouts were recorded correctly time-wise, but the lap counts varied from 61 to 76. I understand that varied strokes may not be accurately recorded, but I don't get why my swim yesterday was off by 20 laps! I'm starting to feel like those people who can't wear a watch and get the accurate time... By the way, my step count/mileage for walking is accurate on the replacement Fitbit (as it was on the old one).
Best Answer
0 Votes
I got a replacement Flex2 (free, because my original was not accurately recording my swims). This one does not seem to be doing much better! Yesterday I swam 100 laps all freestyle, which I counted. I did not stop longer than a few seconds to clear my snorkel mask, and I made clean turns. The time amount was accurate, but the lap count was at 80. Previously (with the replacement Fitbit), I was varying my stroke (10 freestyle, 8 breaststroke, 8 backstroke, 8 kicking only, 10 freestyle, and so on), for a total of 100 laps- again, not stopping for more than a few seconds and making clean turns. Those workouts were recorded correctly time-wise, but the lap counts varied from 61 to 76. I understand that varied strokes may not be accurately recorded, but I don't get why my swim yesterday was off by 20 laps! I'm starting to feel like those people who can't wear a watch and get the accurate time... By the way, my step count/mileage for walking is accurate on the replacement Fitbit (as it was on the old one).
Best Answer
0 Votes
My replacement Flex2 is not accurately recording my swims- yesterday I swam 100 laps, 2500 yards in one hour, all the same stroke, no stops or rests for longer than a few seconds. The time on the Flex2 was the only accurate number; it recorded 80 laps, 2000 yards. Apparently it is important to swim at least the number of minutes you input in your settings; you should not stop/rest for longer than 60 seconds, you should not change stoke in the middle of a lap or kick only. I followed all those rules, and am still getting an inaccurate count. It's very frustrating!
Best Answer
0 Votes
My replacement Flex2 is not accurately recording my swims- yesterday I swam 100 laps, 2500 yards in one hour, all the same stroke, no stops or rests for longer than a few seconds. The time on the Flex2 was the only accurate number; it recorded 80 laps, 2000 yards. Apparently it is important to swim at least the number of minutes you input in your settings; you should not stop/rest for longer than 60 seconds, you should not change stoke in the middle of a lap or kick only. I followed all those rules, and am still getting an inaccurate count. It's very frustrating!
Best Answer
0 Votes

It is somehow miscounting your turns. Try giving an exaggerated push off at all the ends during a swim one daynand see if it picks that up. Let us know how you go.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I tried all the hints, and still got a lap count of 41 instead of 72.  What is really frustrating is that the graph is correct!  I am frustrated since I swim the same way and get random counts.  The closest it came was 75 instead of 72.  I'm going to try letting the battery go completely dead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today I made sure I really pushed off with both feet at my turns; I swam all freestyle and barely stopped. I counted 100 laps (I know I'm right on the count!) in 62 minutes- my Flex2 only recorded 68 lengths! I am beyond disgusted with the poor accuracy of now my second Flex2. From the other comments I've read, this does not seem uncommon. Let's here from a Fitbit customer service rep!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have exactly the same issue. 70 lengths reported as 45 by Fitbit. Have you got your issue solved?

Julia 

Best Answer
0 Votes
My flex2 has never accurately noted the duration of my exercise. I do step aerobics and can compare Fitbit to the clock, usually off by 10-50% compared to actual.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I wear my Fitbit on my ankle, and the count is more accurate.
Best Answer
0 Votes