Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concern about radiation from Fitbit trackers

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi! I was considering buying a fitbit flex and I wanted to know the amount of radiation I was going to be exposed to.  I was wondering if when I turned off the automatic syncing, it would reduce the amount of radiation I was exposed to at all.  Or would the amount remain the same no matter what? 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
86 REPLIES 86

As mentioned in the video the levels presented from the government and other entities are woefully inadequate in protecting the public. If you look at my first post you may have more to consider, including nonstop lies from the telecom industry on safety. And of course had you watched the video you would have known that. And the reality is all of these wireless devices constantly make changes at the cellular level even at very low levels, but The industry obfuscates the conversation by only looking at cancer… a very long term issue. It is known that very low levels can create changes to the point the cell will not accept nutrients, nor will it be able to shed itself of metabolic waste. This can lead to tremendous health issues, and quite frankly is almost never studied in the US..... even at very low levels.

And there in lies the dilemma. You are basing your thoughts on erroneous and illogical assessments by government which typically collude dramatically with large corporations. Picture the conversations on lead, smoking, plastics, processed foods, numerous drugs, etc. etc.. lies lies and more lies. Decades of horrific health issues before the government acted in any way, or the industry indicted by facts acted in any way.

I’m sorry, but this is an industry I know well from working in it, and getting bludgeoned anytime we brought up  studies on the topic. It is one of the reasons I could no longer participate in the telecom industry.

Moderator Edit: Word Choice

Best Answer

And when was Fitbit part of the welcome industry.

I feel sorry for those AW 3 users with Bluetooth, WiFi, and cellular on their wrist. Of course they now have no reason to carry a phone with them.

You could always move to the US National Radio Quite Zone. Of course there still is the radiation from the toaster, house wiring or TV(satellite or cable), no WiFi allowed.

All I'm saying that in todays society a person is hard pressed to get away from EMF.

Best Answer

Regardless of amount/level, radiation exposure is cumulative ... so duration is a part of the equation ...

Best Answer

This is very bad and as a consumer!!!  It wants to know how we sleep. So we are sleeping with a a device on our wrist that has constant radiation pumping into our body's! Ugh so annoying that any level at all is exposing our body to this bull**ahem**! 

Best Answer

Let's not forget that we don't have to wear a fitbit - it's only a fitness tracker. If you have concerns then just don't wear it.

Best Answer

Hello, I'm interesting in buying one of the products but I would like to know if any of the avaible fitbit products will not get damaged or decrease it's life time by a lot of their current estimation. I work as a nurse and one of my task requires to operate the angiograph, a device which uses x-ray radiation to see the blood vesels on X ray film.

I want to wear a fitbit device and i do not want to find out that in a few months that the product is not working anymore. And I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

A side note. My protective gear against radiation do not cover my arms so the fitbit product is totaly exposed to the radiation

Best Answer
0 Votes

From what I understand, if you aren’t wearing your Fitbit but it’s connected to your phone and your cell phone is not in airplane mode and it’s close by you, you are still being consistently bombarded with radiation. It’s all connected so for example, using your Iphone as an alarm clock without putting it in airplane mode continues hitting you with radiation while you sleep.Your Fitbit being “on” and synced with your phone is emitting radiation as well. So even if each item alone doesn’t emit much radiation, you are getting the cumulative effect of all of it. Personally, I turn all electric devices such as computers off in my bedroom to get a break from additional radiation while I sleep. I feel that it makes a huge difference in the quality of rest I get. 

Best Answer

What type of radiation are you referring to, light, radio waves, magnetic fields? 

Your house wiring radiates as well as every radio and motor 

Microwave, every computer on your microwave. hair dryer and who knows what else 

Best Answer
I agree. With the effect of dirty electricity on the body and the free radicals caused by it, we have to do our best to protect ourselves and our families. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do what I can as knowledge comes my way.

One major way to reduce EMF’s is to make certain your home does not have a smart meter (as opposed to an analog meter.) Also, unplug your router at night. There is no way to get rid of all of our exposure but like calories, cut where you can.

Peace be upon us
Best Answer

Thanks for the help @Rich_Laue! Hey @Magic53! I appreciate all your tips about this subject. As mentioned by @KateFitbit on her previous post Fitbit trackers operate far below FCC compliance levels for RF power levels. Also, the fact that your tracker only transmits intermittently further decreases exposure to RF energy.

Catch you later.

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

Do you know what class it is? 1, 2, or 3. I have been suffering from some unusual headaches since I bought it 2 days ago. I love the Fitbit Charge 3 and all of its benefits, so I am trying to narrow down why I might be having headaches before I return the Fitbit.

Thank you,

JD

Best Answer

When referring to class I assume your reffering to the LED, since this is not a laser, but a small light that produces a minimum amount of IR it makes it one of the safest light sources around. A lot more safe than the sun. So safe that it can not provide any of the sun's benifibe. 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Communtiy Forums @jdcrais!

Adding to @Rich_Laue great response, you can take a look at @SilviaFitbit post here for more information on the matter.

Anything else you may need, let us know!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a feeling it's one weirdo troll who continually posts these fake radiation studies.

Somebody has way too much time on his/her hands.

But the hilarious irony is that he's getting more radiated from typing on his computer than he ever would from a fitness tracker.

I think a fairly large percentage of the population is clinically insane. And they all post on the internet because nobody in real life will listen to them.

?

Best Answer

Hey, Silvia!

Sorry for asking another question but is it safe for a 14-year-old to be using a Fitbit Charge HR 24/7?

I appreciate your help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, but are you allowed to release GHz frequency that a Charge 3 emits, and if not, why? I would like to know ths exact amount of GHz released amd what the SAR of your product is in watts per kilogram please.

Best Answer

In not following your post @Abrirenee  

GHZ is the frequency of a clock or radio wave. 

I'm not assured what the Fitbit's clock is bit the frequency of bluetooth transmissions can easily be found it is  2.402 GHz and 2.480 GHz.

Of course the frequency would not be the issue but the strength would be. 

In any case your Fitbit Flex puts out so little radiation that it is exempt from many if the FCC tests cell phones need to de add l with.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought Fitbit inspire HR a month ago and have been wearing it 24/7 with blue tooth on and I have got a dark patch on my wrist right under the tracker. I am really disappointed that not enough research was done before releasing it in the market

Best Answer

I understand and appreciate that Fitbit minimises, as much as possible, exposure to EMFs. But the question is and remains since it is possible to put in a feature allowing Bluetooth to be turned on and off at the wearer's discretion, why has Fitbit consistently refused to add this to their products?

Best Answer