Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long did your Flex last before it died?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was wondering how long do fitbits last before they die, in terms of steps and length of ownership.

I currently own a Fitbit Flex for about 18 months and have logged over 5.5 Million steps. I'm on my 3rd band. I was thinking about upgrading to a charge HR since they have a $50 trade in promotion at the microsoft store. I like the automatic sleep function on the Charge HR, but don't like that you can't change the band.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
379 REPLIES 379

Hi, I saw that you were having issues synching your Fitbit. Would you be able to explain the "paper clip thing in the charging dongle"? I'm trying anything at this time to get my Flex 2 going again. Many thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had three in the last four years and all of them have failed on battery. There are much cheaper devices out there that last longer. Fitbit offer zero recompense. Basically another tech scamming company. My realtionship with these jokers is over and I'm warning as many people as possible not to use them.

They are crooks really. Mine have lasted a year. It works out a renting it for $20 per month!

My daughter has had two. One broke and I expect her latest one to break any time soon (she got it a month ago)

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
My original flex lasted about 3 yrs and then I got a new one. This one has
been about 5 yrs. I just keep charging it and syncing it with the paper
clip,every few days.
Best Answer

My Flex 2 lasted 1.5 years, and now i have a paperweight, and 10 bands for my once beloved fitbit tracker. All other options are too large for me to wear, this one was perfect, but now that I've read what fitbit is doing, I wouldn't even buy again. They are availbale on ebay but who knows when that unit will go it. It is a scam, google "fitbit stopped working scam". Recently they turned off a bunch of Flex 2 fitbits last year, but they did too many at the same time, and they got caught by a lot of unhappy customers including myself who figured it out, they turn off older units, and then force you to buy new more expense options and give you a 35% discount email and refuse to help via customer service or explain why. The rep on the phone told me that they cant help and are told to just send the email and forget about it.  

Best Answer
Mine is a Flex 1, the very first design to come out. There is a USB
charging device. I take the little flex out of the bracelet and put it in
the charger which is plugged in to the usb port.
On the back of it is a tiny hole and you put the end of a paper clip in and
hold it for 3 seconds until 2 sets of 2 lights flash and supposedly that
resets it.
Here's a photo. Hope that helps
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Versa and it's my first Fitbit. Bought on December 2018 but started using it in March 2020. I've been happy with it until just TWO DAYS AGO. It worked perfectly until Tuesday. On Wednesday the battery was super low and then it suddenly shut off. When turning it back on, the battery showed 0% so I had to plug it. After charging it and after not more than maybe 2 hours, the same happened. Battery dead. I did a hard reset and it's the same. Battery dying after maybe 2 hours or even less. And the sensors of the back just stopped working. I tried a lot of tips seen on these forums - nothing works. Again, not even the last resource, hard reset.

The use of my Versa has always been very very light. Sedentary life working from home. The most active thing is walking a lot over 10000 steps every now and then. I only wanted it as a smartwatch and not as a fitness tracker. The battery life attracted me a lot (going days without having to charge it is just great). How ironic.

The warranty of 2 years expired on December 2020, so I can't do anything about it.

My first and only Fitbit lasted 22 months. After seeing the battery problem I immediately decided to never give Fitbit another chance. Because it's not normal that it practically dies so suddenly when the warranty it's over. Literally just in one day after it's been working perfectly!! Coincidence? I don't think so. And I've read waaaay to many customers with the exact same problem of the device dying after warranty.

I'm getting an Apple Watch. After all, I have an iPhone 6S which I've been using heavily for 5 years, and it's still going pretty strong. I prefer to have to charge it every day (even if it sounds really annoying), than to give money to a company that doesn't care for longevity (and their customers), for the next device to die around the time when the warranty is over.

Bye bye, Fitbit. It's a shame. I really loved the Versa. I didn't need more. You're gonna lose all your customers if you don't change this practice. You've lost many already, for what I've read. I'm truly upset... 

I'm sorry, I made a mistake in my previous post. I started using it in March 2019 (not 2020). It's still 22 months like I said. 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

My Flex 2 was my first Fitbit. I bought it when they first came out a few years back and it is still going strong. I know some don't last so long, but mine has been (and still is) brilliant!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Sounds like you drained an older battery beyond its recharge limit. Usually an older battery backup, if it gets it's batteries completely discharged, will never recover. You would have to replace the battery.

Best Answer

I have a flex1. I bought it and started using it 12/2015 and its still going, though the charge is severely decreased. I've never gone swimming or taken a shower with it and so far I haven't had any big issues that a paperclip can't fix. As I said before my charge doesn't last as it once did. A couple months ago (exact time is unknown, its all a blur) I started having to charge it every day and for last month or two I've taken to charging it twice a day and sometimes that isn't even enough. Like for example today I charged it to full at about 830am and by 2pm (after exercising of course) I realized it had died at some point and has to be recharged again. I've also noticed that sometimes it has trouble syncing with the app so the paperclip is getting a little more use than it once did. But overall, I've had this fitbit, and have worn it every single day, a little over 5 years so compared to all these other people who have had issues less than a year out, I guess I'm doing fairly well?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'd say you are doing very well indeed.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, same with me . Mine keeps on going and I do charge it more often.
Funny thing is, it has a mind of its own. I use the paper clip, it doesn’t
sync, I get annoyed then 2 days later, all my data shows up.
After this, I won’t get another one. I know what it takes for me to get my
steps in. I mainly like it for a walk or a hike but my run keeper app
tracks that. I like it for sleep tracking but for the price of a new one
with all the bells and whistles, I’ll buy myself something else.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge 3 lasted 2 years and 4 months.  It just died as the battery will no longer hold a charge.   I was very careful and removed it for swimming and showering. Not bad I guess but 3 years would have been better.

Just ordered a fitbit Versa 3 to replace  it.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
When mine dies, I'm not replacing it. I keep track of steps when out
walking with runkeeper. I mainly like it for the sleep tracker.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I originally had the one, and it lasted 3.5 years, then I lost it on an airplane.  I have had my Flex2 now for about 2.5 years, and it is still working fine.  I have switched bands a few times.  I like you, am worried about upgrading to something that doesn't have a replaceable band.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had mine since May 2017. It's coming up to its 4th birthday. I look after my stuff very carefully. Charge still lasts 5 days, but I don't use a massive amount of functions or alarms on it.

I particularly like Flex2 as it is discreet and sleek. I have nice watches, and don't want it to compete.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a charge three and I don’t think I’ve had it even a year & a half 

Best Answer
0 Votes

6+ years and the Flex 1 is still a ticking!  Sometimes simpler is better (the Surge's battery only lasted 20 months)!

Best Answer

Yep. 6+ years is really encouraging!

I bought my husband a fancy smart watch for Christmas, and it was too complex and had loads of features which would never be used. He said he'd always envied my Flex2. It's discreet and small, good to wear with a really nice watch without overpowering the latter. (essentially we are both of the opinion that watches are jewellery.)

I found a secondhand one, bought it, factory reset it, and bingo - it works and he's happy. So I'm happy. And I can pass on my 4 years of knowledge about the Flex2 as well. (And I sold the smart watch).

Best Answer
0 Votes
yes, simple is better. Butmy Flex 1 hasn't synched since Feb 14th. Hope it
catches up soon.
Best Answer
Wow! That's terrific. I hope mine lasts that long - it's almost five
years old now.
Best Answer
0 Votes