Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long did your Flex last before it died?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was wondering how long do fitbits last before they die, in terms of steps and length of ownership.

I currently own a Fitbit Flex for about 18 months and have logged over 5.5 Million steps. I'm on my 3rd band. I was thinking about upgrading to a charge HR since they have a $50 trade in promotion at the microsoft store. I like the automatic sleep function on the Charge HR, but don't like that you can't change the band.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
379 REPLIES 379

@edso I have all of these same trackers:

My One from 2013 still works*

My ancient Charge still works

My Charge HR still works

My Ionic still works

You have bad luck.

*I did change the battery in my One so it did die for a bit. The batteries are designed to last 3 years and sometimes they magically last longer but the actual expected life is 3 years.

I'm actually about to tear open my ChargeHR and waterproof it and pop in a new battery as it's no longer getting over a week like it used to and batteries are easy to install 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

HERE'S WHAT THIS THREAD IS MISSING!

With everyone sharing how long their flexes and other Fitbits lasted - why haven't we shared about what might've caused this? For instance, I'd shared mine lasted years and many still working but didn't detail how/why that is - and it's ridiculously simple. Would you like to learn? Cool, I'm going to make a new thread for best practices and I hope some of y'all can please share some of yours - just whatever you've learned that might help us too 🙂 Thanks!

Best Answer

Had to jump in here.  I have had 2 Flex's.  My first flex lasted 4 years, then I lost it on an airplane, left it in seat pocket (my bad) bought another one, and it is now 4.5 years old.  I am sold on these, might get a charge next time.  These have lasted much longer than any of my apple products, by far.

Best Answer

Guess so

One of my Charges died by being bricked during a failed update.(Fitbit's fault, not mine)

Both of the Ionics died within a year. The second one seems to have lost it's radio. It is not visible on Bluetooth. Can't remember how the first one died.

Never had either one of the Ionics in any water. Shower, Ocean, Pool.

Concerned about spending the money (even with a 35% discount) on a $230 or $300 device which will probably die in a year.

Best Answer

I've had my Flex for approximately 8 years ---- I believe since it first came out.  As long as it's charged, it records everything I've asked it to record extremely well.  Have not thought yet of replacing it with newer model --- why change when you've got almost perfection????? (My apologies ---- original post indicated 14 years.)

Best Answer

Wow! 14 years. That's fantastic. Surely that's a record. Mine is just a
baby then at 5 years.

------------------------------

That's excellent.

Best Answer

It's SO frustrating isn't it. This is my 4th one in 6 years. The first one lasted 18 months. A gift from my son.

I bought a Garmin last year but didn't like it as much. I don't understand why mine keep failing so quickly. I never get them wet or mistreat them. They just quit or go wonky. (Don't even get me started on the warranty replacement Fitbits! )

I care for them like I do my watches and they last forever.

If it wasn't for Kohl's cash I'd never own another one.

Best Answer
I bought mine on impulse when they first came out. The price was right and
what it could do was just what I needed. Still happy with it and look
forward to using until it's no longer working. I wish they were still
available. The newer models seem to have too many extras and seem more
complicated than my needs require. All I want in options is what I have in
my Flex.
Best Answer
You were obviously one of the lucky ones. Enjoy. I relate my experiences
with everyone I know and I am certain I have turned numerous people away
from Fitbit. They could have backed their product, but they didn't.

Mark
Best Answer

I’ve had my current Flex2 since late 2018, so going on 3 years. I bought it to track my steps and swims, so I remove it only to shower or charge. I lost the previous one after about 18 months when it fell out of my wristband. In general, I’ve been happy with the Flex2 and haven’t wanted a more complex and feature-laden device. I used to dry wristband and pebble after swimming but stopped doing that when I noticed that removing the pebble from wristband and replacing it in band seemed to wear out the band and increase likelihood of losing pebble. So now I never bother drying either.

That leads to my question: where can I find replacement bands? I’ve used larger bands when smaller bands wear out, but they are not the best fit for me. Since Flex2 is discontinued, what to do other than upgrade? Other than wristbands, the problems I’ve had with the Flex2s were resolved after consulting FAQs and forums.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have extra bands for the original Flex 1. Maybe they would fit? I am on
vacation for 10 days but could take a photo when I get home. Or you could
send me a pic of what yours looks like
Best Answer
0 Votes
Check Etsy.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know the feeling. This is my sixth year using FitBits and my fifth one just died.

I had four charge HR and the longest one lasted was 14 months.

I was using a Charge 2 for just under two years and I thought it would last a really long time and I took really careful care of it. I was still getting 5-7 days on a charge. Then a couple days ago, after charging it partway, I took it off the charger and saw the display saying a little over half charged. Walked around the office for about and hour, went to check my steps and  the screen was blank. Now it seems to be completely dead. Going from working flawlessly to just dead was a bit of a shock. I did start walking outside again (its about freezing)- been dealing with a bad knee. So the only common thread I see is the HR's were when I was running outside everyday in heat and cold and the Charge 2 had been used almost entirely indoors. But you'd think you could use a fitness monitor outside!

I have a simple razor step tracker that is about 8 years old and I have used it in every sort of weather and it still works. Cost about $40 but just counts steps- no real electronics in it.

I too would love to know if the difference is just a few people win the fitbit QA lottery or there is some way to keep them working. I am pretty much at the end of my tolerance for having to replace fitbits, especially given I am not liking the look or features of the new models.

Best Answer

I get it. I got a new one in September and I have the replacement one to fall back on. If I hadn't had Kohl's cash to use towards the last one I wouldn't have replaced it. Last time though...

Best Answer

So with you here. They have built in obsolescence. Not fit for purpose imo.

Best Answer

Not too many weeks after entering my original post, I lost my second Flex2 while bathing in rough ocean waves. The wristband stayed on fine but didn't secure the pebble well enough. As a replacement, I bought a Fitbit Inspire 2, which seemed like the closest available model. I'm interested in limited functionality and moderate price (<= $100). Not interested in Apple offerings. The Inspire 2 has a much more secure wristband but is a bit bulkier. The thing I miss most from the Flex 2 is the mini-fireworks displayed by the pebble when I met my step goal. My main reason for wearing one of these devices is to encourage me to move at least a certain amount every day. The Inspire 2 has the advantage of also displaying date and time and charge left on the device. I no longer wear a watch and don't like to have to carry a mobile phone everywhere just to know the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on my second Charge 3.  The lifespan was 18 months for both.  When you ask for help getting it running again, they tell you they are sorry, going to refer to special teams and then you get a discount for buying a new one.  It's like there is an expiration date.  

Best Answer
I’ve sadly given up on Fitbit. Regardless of a discounted replacement, we
can’t keep making things that lost 18 months and throw them away.

Sorry to lose the data but it’s not durable as it needs to be for
responsible consumers
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Best Answer
Hi,
This is exactly what happened to me. I couldn’t agree more with your summary.
The reduced price was not for the latest ‘best ‘ latest product either. This was specifically excluded.
Regards, Jan

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hello everybody, thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with your Fitbit devices.

Our team is constantly working to improve our products and services. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

I am going to close this thread since it became off-topic, but if there is anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to start a new topic.

Have a nice day.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes