Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life span of a Flex?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I gave my husband my fitbit flex when I upgraded to the Blaze (pre-ordered because I knew I would love it). The flex has since turned 2 years old and some times it only lasts him 2 days before dying. Other times the charge will last the full 5 days. He always lets it charge completely before disconnecting from the charger. It just seems random how long it will hold the charge.

Is this a sign that the Flex is dying? 🙁
Should we start saving to upgrade him to a Blaze as well?
Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

Hi, @Denyella! I've run into this problem before, too. I would suggest that you try cleaning the contacts on the tracker and the charger just to make sure. The fact that it still lasts at least some of the time indicates that it *might* just be that the battery isn't getting a full charge, even though it's indicating it does.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for trying to help MakMak but we clean it before each charge and don't unplug it till all 5 lights are flashing.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ah, that's too bad. In that case, you can either hope that the battery life keeps holding out or you can start saving up. 2 years is a pretty good life span for any device with a lithium ion battery. You'll probably notice that over time the battery will continue to degrade, but it sounds like you're conscientious in taking care of it, which should help extend the lifespan.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

I've seen several threads asking this question with not one single response giving even the broadest of ranges for how long a typical properly cared-for Flex may last.  I've had mine over two years and for most of that time I've been getting 7-8 days per charge.  Over the last month or so it has dropped to a reliable 6 days per charge.  Today after 5 days with no low battery warning it was dead.

I had many problems early on with the Fitbit charger.  I got a replacement charger from Fitbit that was marginally better than the one that came with my Flex but still amazingly painful to deal with.  Only since I purchased a 3rd party charger have things worked and worked well.

I have no complaints about my Flex and will replace with another Fitbit when this one does finally die.  My question is - and will continue to be - what is a reasonable life expectancy for a Flex?  I'm not looking for tips to clean or reset my Flex - I know how to do those things and have done them.

What I'm looking for with this post is a reasonable timeframe to determine whether the current increasing charging frequency is sign of my Flex reaching the end of it's useful life or not.  I got a solid 2 1/2 years of a charge lasting for 7-8 days. Now I'm seeing a steady decline - can I expect another six months?  a year? or should I be shopping for a replacement now because the decline speeds up and my Flex will likely be dead in another couple of weeks?

I realize my mileage may vary but I need to get an actual mileage value to even determine if it HAS varied.  A little help please?

Thanks,

Dave

Best Answer

@Ray_Ed Welcome to the Fitbit Community! This is a hard question to answer, to be honest! I can only speak from my own experience. 

I have had my Flex for 2 years now and still working properly. I think the key is how you charge it. I always follow these charging best practices and has lasted long. I recommend doing the same!

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

How long have you been using the Blaze? Any downside?

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long did it last? Or is it still going? I've just reconnected to Fitbit with a Flex new Flex I got last year quite cheap online - ebay - and I don't know how long it'll last. 

It's annoying things aren't designed to last as long as possible any more.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've had the Blaze for 3 years now. I think it's approaching its end of life - my reliable 5 days between charges has dropped to a consistent 4 days. No changes in my use or activity.

It's the same as with my Flex - once the recharge points start getting consistently more frequent, it's time to look for a new one.

Aside from that - no complaints. Had to restart it to get the heart monitor working and that only happened once.

"I drank what?"
-Socrates
Best Answer
0 Votes
It died shortly after I made my original post. Couldn't sync it, couldn't charge it, couldn't use it. All total I got about 2 1/2 years out of it.

"I drank what?"
-Socrates
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that I can give a definite answer for those who are still curious about this. I’ve had a Flex 2 since July 2016. Sadly, it stopped working this weekend. It won’t charge. I have tried two different old charging devices, and I am waiting for a new one that I ordered to see if it’s the charger; but I suspect that it is the Flex 2. So, that would make its useful life almost 4 years. This, I expect, is based on the useful life of the battery. For those of you considering buying a Flex 2, keep in mind that it is an old model and that the batteries in any that you can find out there will be old too; this, you may not get 4 years out of it. But if it’s unused, or like new, I would expect to get at least two years out of it with good care. It’s a shame that this type of tracker (minimalist and without screen) is no longer available. There is nothing like it in the market anymore. 

Best Answer

Hi @ArvinDelgado I still have my original Flex 2 that I got when they were first produced - I had a pre order in so it was one of the first. And it is still going strong. I don't use it a lot now but I keep it charged to preserve the battery as long as possible (they don't like to run flat) and it still lasts 4 to 5 days. I must have got it in December 2016, so that makes it 4 1/2 years old, so it is doing very well.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Nice. I wish mine still worked. I purchased a used with hopes that it will last one or two more years. I really like the minimalist aspect of the Flex 2. I don’t see myself wearing something with a screen, so it is the Flex 2 or nothing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my Flex since June 2014.

After almost 8 years, it seems now is the time to give it a break.

I still works fine, but the charger looks like it can have no more. I have replaced the charger several times, as well as the bands. Apparently, as time passes, it will be more difficult to find a good replacement for the charger.

As I would like to keep having my steps tracked without interruption, today I received my new Inpsire 2, and I am prepared to part ways with my Flex.

Hope the new device serves for as long as the original.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its even closer to 8 years, as I bought it in April 2014, 

Best Answer
0 Votes