Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashboard and challenge don't match

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Three times now that I have been in a challenge my steps have been off by over 2,000. My dashboard says one number and my challenges say another. Anyone had this problem? I'm very competitive and like all my steps to count haha
Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38
Currently I have over 13,000 steps. I'm in the Weekend Warrior challenge and my steps there are only over 9,000. Why are my steps not the same?
Best Answer

Hello @NicoleOB and @kay54! I'll be glad to help you on this Cat Happy

@kay54 I have moved your post to this thread since you are both having the same question Cat Happy

There are some cases where your steps do not count towards your challenges. If you have used MobileRun or a third party app, they do not contribute as steps towards challenges. Only steps from your tracker count toward the challenge. (Here is a post about iOS and here is one about Android and here is a FAQ about challenges.) 

If this is still not working, I recommend to try the following:

• Attempt syncing from your computer, first clearing your cookies and Cache on your browser. Here is how to do it.
  • Update the Fitbit App through iOS here and Android here
  • Restart your tracker, you can check how it is done here.
  • Updating your tracker through a computer here also through Android here and iOS here

Let me know if you have any questions, welcome to the forums!

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

I am having the same issues - I have 28,000+ steps in my dashboard and yet was only given 22,000 in my Weekend Warrier Challenge.  This is discouraging.

Best Answer

So I have another quesiton - If I use the Track Exercise in the fitbit app - should that take away from my challenges or be received?  This is frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Howdy @AmandaLS! Welcome to the Fitbit family Cat Happy

If you use MobileRun or track exercise on your Fitbit App, your account will recognize it as a logged activity. Only tracked steps from your Flex will count towards your challenges. 

Hope this helps, let me kwow if you have any questions!

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

@AmandaLS I have the same issue. I only use the "Track Excercise" Feature on my fitbit to track my walks/runs, and those steps tend to not contribute to my challenges, which is very frustrating.

Best Answer

I am extremely frustrated!! I started a Fitibt club to do challenges. All my coworkers bought one and now I am the only person unable to participate. I have been having this problem since early March. Two updates later no fix and no solotion!!! The same 3 suggested solutions that every moderator suggests does not apply. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the help!  Just solved our problem!  If you "track exercise" and track a 30 minute walk, it will count the steps in that 30 minute walk twice.  Thus, the dashboard steps did not match the challenge steps.  The dashboard steps were always higher than the challenge steps.  2 of us walked the same number of steps - 1 of us was "tracking exercise" but our steps never matched.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wishkabibble Welcome to the Fitbit Community! That is correct! Happens because only the steps tracked by the tracker itself will count towards challenges. The "track exercise" and manually logged steps will not count towards challenges. I'm glad to hear that your inquiry was resolved on the Community!

Also, make sure to check the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want!

See you around! Smiley Very Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
I'm wearing a fully charged flex and in s challenge for the week. Both yesterday and today my challenge steps do not add up to the steps shown on my dashboard. The challenge shows less steps. This is the first time I've encountered this problem. Please fix! I like to see how I'm doing against the other challengers!
Best Answer

@Sheridan7 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Are you logging an activity manually on the dashboard? Those manually added steps will not count towards challenges. Also, if you track exercise using the exercise mode on your Flex (tap it several times until it vibrates to record an exercise session), will not count towards challenges as well. Only the steps tracked by the Flex itself will count! Make sure you are on the same time zone as the creator of the challenge

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, no I am not using any other way of recording steps. Just letting my flex do it for me. I haven't logged any exercise on my flex. I'm not sure what's going on with it. I hit my goal of 10 000 steps yesterday, but on my challenge it said I only did 1000 steps. I'm not using any other apps just the Fitbit app for iPhone, I haven't added anything, not even my cups of water I drink in a day.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I'm not sure how to track steps another way. I barely touch my flex throughout the day. I'll sometimes tap twice to see where I'm at for my goal or if it goes into sleep mode by mistake I'll then take it out of sleep mode. I've been in the challenges many times and never encountered this issue. I don't log anything extra into my app for Fitbit. Not even my water intake. The only time my flex vibrates is when it goes into sleep mode, pushing a shopping cart over bumpy pavement, burping my daughter. When this happens I take it out of sleep mode. I don't put my flex into sleep mode at night. For the challenges it's usually with different time zones, which is fine. it tells me how many hours different and when the challenge starts and ends. At the moment my numbers are still not adding up in the challenge that I'm participating in. My dashboard is more steps then my challenge numbers.
Best Answer

Hey my friend @Sheridan7! Well, if you have made sure about the following:

1. Your steps have fully synced to our database but you're not viewing the mobile app dashboard in Live Data Mode. (Live data mode would show the word "connected" under your tracker tile). 
2. You manually logged an activity. Steps from manually logged activities do not count toward challenges; only steps recorded by your tracker or MobileTrack are counted toward challenges. 
3. You used MobileRun to track GPS data with your app. Only steps recorded by a tracker or MobileTrack are counted toward challenges. 
4. All challenge participants are not in the same time zone. 

I also recommend waiting 15 minutes after syncing your Fitbit data to see if your challenge updates.

So I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Support directly so they can do a deeper investigation and see where the issue is coming from. 

Don't forget to mention all the steps you've done so far to avoid getting the same ones. You'll be in good hands! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

My challenge data shows more steps than the device/dashboard on pc and dashboard on app.

It would make sense it being a syncing issue if the number of steps on the device/dashboard was more than on the challenge. But I have the opposite issue. The challenge is showing more steps than the device and dashboard. So it is not a time delay in syncing.

fitbit steps irregularity.jpgIn the pic, you can see the steps showing at the exact same time are over 1000 more on the challenge screen than on the dashboard's. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone!  Sometimes it takes a while for the challenge and the dashboard to actually sync up together.  I find that when I have a problem like this, restarting the app helps a lot and usually gets the job done.  Rest assured though that all of your steps will count towards your challenge, and they will show up in your challenges.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for stopping by @Debbie.F! Thanks for the images provided my friend, I'm sure what @DramaQueenDiva says is what's happening here. So, try doing the following:

• Log out of your Fitbit App
  • Force quit the App
  • Turn off the Bluetooth
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn on the Bluetooth
  • Log back into your Fitbit App

Let us know how it goes!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, join the club!  There's a whole different string of complainers about this under a different topic.  Fitbit must be aware that it's a problem on their end.  Instead they keep handing out goofy "fixes" that don't work.  Sure wish they'd step up (no pun intended) and take responsibility for this and fix it once and for all.  

I've lost so much faith in this company.  I'm on my 4th Fitbit and this will definitely be my last.  I was attracted because of all the features, but if they don't work properly, what's the point?

Best Answer

Interesting that this issue has been ongoing for about two years now and Fitbit still won't admit it's THEIR bug.  

Best Answer