Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data got deleted after app update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello.  This morning, I checked my Fitbit App on my iPhone and all of my steps and sleep were in the app, along with all of my data.  I noticed that there was a pending update for the app, and when I downloaded it, it deleted all of my past data from the past month (I didn't use my Fitbit for about 18 months and started using it again back in June - my data from early 2016 is all that shows up now and everything I had recorded from June 2017 onwards is gone).  How can I get all of that data back?  Thank you.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

It's great to have you here @StephNova! Thanks for the details that you've mentioned. When you update the app, no data should be deleted as you're all is stored in Fitbit. It does sounds weird though, I believe the reason why it got deleted, it's because the tracker didn't sync every once a while and it ran out of battery. 

Please reply to the following questions: 

- Did you sync your Flex back in June?

- How often did you sync when you started using it again?

I'm afraid to mention that, the only way to get that data back would be by logging your steps manually. You can do so by logging running or walking as an activity every day from June. 

Hope this helps! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just updated the app on my phone and it freaking deleted everything from August and July and most of June. I update and sync my phone and watch all every day and now every single thing I did for 3 months is deleted!

Moderator edit: format 

Best Answer

Even better, it deleted all weight logged for the last 5 years, my personal stats are gone, my badges and trophies and everything is gone! How did this happen and how was this allowed to happen??? how am i supposed to trust this company and any future app updates if you delete my ever loving move for 5 years?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

It's great to have you here @ToriRC! Thanks for the details that you've mentioned. It's pretty weird that your data got deleted as all of your tracker's data is stored in your Dashboard directly.

I've noticed that this has happened to some users and the reason why all the information isn't found in their Dashboard, it's because they accidentally logged into another Fitbit account. I would like you to double check that you're logging into the same account that you were before, sometimes a simple letter can be different and it creates another account and all your previous data is deleted. 

Also, you can double check when was created the account that you're being logged into. Just go to your Dashboard> click on your profile information > it will show when was the first time that you joined Fitbit. 

Keep me posted. There's no need to worry, I'm sure your information is still in Fitbit. 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate the response but the login is correct.  The last login it has after my info was erased was October 22-28 2012.  So as I said, my info for the last 5 YEARS is gone and it has nothing to do with a different login.  The Fitbit approved app update is what erased everything. Thanks  Tori 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer

Thanks for letting me know that you already double check and all your data was erased @ToriRC! I've shared your post with Customer Support, they should reply back to you within the following days. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, the exact same thing happened to me this morning. I checked my account and it's the correct one. All I did was change my password and sync my device and everything was deleted to the 16th of September including my alarms and clock face settings. Could you please help? 

Thanks

Best Answer

can you let us know how to fix this issue, i updated the app on oct 23rd, and i also lost my data from march till oct..and i checked that i logged into my account, i only have one fitbit account. can you tell us what happened?

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me and it's a year later from you posts!  Updated and now, all data lost!

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @Eddievo! I would like you to double check that you're logging into the same account that you were before. Sometimes, users type one letter less or more and this is what causes that you create another account. 

Also, I would like you to provide me with more details about the issue you're experiencing: 

- Did you lose any specific data or all your information?

- Did you update your app or tracker?

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer

Yes, after update. It happened two days ago. I always have kept it updated. All information is gone. Yesterday it was partially there; but today it shows zero information beyond two days ago. Super upsetting. I really relied on and was encouraged by watching my progress. I hope it's stored somewhere and you can help us find it. Good luck!!

Best Answer

Exact same thing happened to me today, super frustrated.  I only have one email address to create a login with so I know that is correct and it was saved under my logins on my iphone.  I really hope it is stored on FitBit servers somewhere.

Best Answer

My Fitbit charge2 has done an update today, since then I have lost half the tiles! I now only have cals, number of days exercised this week and weight.

how do I get my info back?

Best Answer

Mine has also been completely reset. Correct account, but everything lost. So annoying as I like to compare steps from especially active days, and sleep data. Please fix ASAP!! 

Best Answer

Hi, 

Can you please assist in recovering data on my account as well? It definitely is the correct login. 

Best Answer

I’m not sure how this happened, but please let me know if there is any way to recover all of my data. 

Best Answer

Well it’s 2022 and we are still losing our data every upgrade. ( I only have 1 device and 1 account and synch fully daily.) Very frustrating after following all the instructions. Hard to know how to stay with Fitbit at this point.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue in 2023. I decided to start using my Fitbit again after a few months off. I did the firmware update and it erased my data for this past week and day. I’ve been with Fitbit since 2014 and honestly,  the product nor apps are any better than when I first bought a flex. So disappointed. Not to mention the constant syncing issues and delays. 

Best Answer
0 Votes