Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long did your Flex last before it died?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was wondering how long do fitbits last before they die, in terms of steps and length of ownership.

I currently own a Fitbit Flex for about 18 months and have logged over 5.5 Million steps. I'm on my 3rd band. I was thinking about upgrading to a charge HR since they have a $50 trade in promotion at the microsoft store. I like the automatic sleep function on the Charge HR, but don't like that you can't change the band.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
379 REPLIES 379

My original Fitbit Charge HR lasted about 7 months.  It still worked, but band was completely falling apart.  Fitbit replaced it under warranty pretty quickly which impressed me, but now the replacement is almost dead after just 4 months.  It looks brand new, but holds a charge for a max of 18 hours (usually less).  In addition it will not sync most of the time even if I power it off and on again.  Also powering it down and on again the battery drops 25% each time.  

I've taken pretty good care of both of these. Even though I can shower with it, I do not.  They are babied quite a bit.  To be honest, I was more careful with the second one. 

This time around fitbit is saying it is not replaceable under warranty and they are offering a 25% off coupon.  

First, I understand they give us a year warranty.  However, if they give a replacement...shouldn't that also last a year?  In theory it is a new device.  I'm also curious why folks in the EU get a 2 year warranty. 

Second, I'm not sure why I would buy another for 25% off.  If I've had two and neither made it a whole year with an average of just 6 months usable life, why would I want another? It just seems like I'll be buying a new one every year.   I'm torn here.  I like my Fitbit, but I'm starting to look at other devices. 

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

It unfortunately sounds like I'm in good company with Flexes that consistently don't last a year. I've now had three. My most recent one quit charging after 8 1/2 months, following a first one that had the same thing happen and a second that started randomly counting steps while I was sleeping after less than a year. The first one was replaced no problem under warranty by very helpful customer service. That replacement was also replaced at no charge to me. The third one, despite lasting for only 2/3 of a year, is apparently not covered by a warranty that only applies to the originally purchased device. It is interesting/telling to me that FitBit does not stand by its products enough to warranty all of them.

It's very disappointing as I love the product when it works, but the price point is too high to sell products that consistently don't even last a year when taken care of and used in a normal way. (I don't submerge it in water, not even in the shower.) Buyers need to feel like they're getting their money's worth and not buying a product that's intended to be disposable.

Customer service wasn't able to/wouldn't answer my question about how long the product is supposed to last or whether any of the newer models have better reliability. 

It's clear from my experience just now on the customer service chat that they're under pressure to get customers to accept an offer of 25 percent off a new FitBit product. But 25 percent off doesn't do it for me when the one I have just broke after far less than a year.

I hope FitBit shareholders are reading these postings.

Best Answer
I have have my flex about two and a half years.
Best Answer
Thank you!!! Our thought process is the same on this issue. I was just on a Facebook group and they kept trying to tell me that the 25% is a good deal. If you have a brain, no it really isn't if you're having to replace it every year. That's garbage!
Best Answer

Hi- I have owned 4 and the battery really loses power after after a year or so.I need to charge mine at least twice a day for over an hour and it's about 16 months old.Kind of a drag.

Best Answer
Yeah, it's pretty annoying. I'm surprised yours has last 16 months. I just keep rebuying them bc I like the look better than the garmin one.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Besides the battery issue it's really cool product.I run outdoors year
round and takes a pretty good beating from our Maine winters.But the darn
battery life sucks.

--
~Jay
Best Answer

Agreed. The inaccurate heartrate information takes a heavy toll on battery life. My Fitbit One is long in the tooth now, and doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer devices, but you have to love a battery that goes weeks on a single charge!

Best Answer

Have had my one and only fitbit (a One)  for 3 1/2 years. It's starting to shut itself off quite frequently now. I can't put in the steps that I used to due to a back injury, but I am so attached to having one that I will definitely be getting a new one.

Best Answer

Wow,3.5 years, thats a lot longer then mine have lasted.

Best Answer
>From what I'm seeing on this post the "Ones" last longer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I didnt realize they could get wet.  Thanks for sharing..

Best Answer

My first FitBit Flex lasted almost one year to the day. I am working on my second Flex and its been 6 months, and it is acting wonky. For example the Flex will show 4 dots of charge on the band, but I will get the warning email that it needs to be charged. Also when I log on I can see no steps recorded for the last 24 hours (even though there were 1-4 dots of charge showing on the band). Plus a full charge only lasts about 2-3 days, which is a Royal Pain in the neck to keep charging it all the time. Feeling frusterated withmy Flex. I wish I could find my receipt or something to trade this one in, as it seems to been a dud. I hope you have better luck with yours!

Best Answer

Iv'e had my Fitbit One going on 4 years now and that's with daily use.  I've just noticed in the last month that it isn't holding a charge as long as it used to.  Although the One doesn't have the bells and whistles I'll be getting another one when this one finally dies.

Best Answer

I've written a post about this, How long does a Fitbit last? - lots of comments on it from other owners.

Best Answer
Thank you for your reply. Yours is lasting longer than mine. My first Flex died after 14 months. This one has seemed weak since day one, it only holds a charge 3-4 days.
🙂

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
0 Votes

25 months for my Flex 1. It stopped recording all activities with the exception of steps about 9 months ago right after an upgrade. Charge doesn't last as long as it once did, but still holds for 4-5 days. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do it in the evening or when you aware asleep.

My Fitbit lasted two years...presently it is,dying.

2 years

It tolerates howers, etc., but you need to let it out andwipe the nodes dry at some point

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

My FitBit Surge HR is on its deathbed after about 18 or 19 months. I've worn it all day, everyday, except for charging time. The first ndication of wear was that the device failed to change time zones when I traveled (6 weeks ago).  I now find that I can no longer track excercise, hit snooze button on my alarm or  use the timer. However, steps, floors, HR and calories expended still appear on the watch face and the information re activity, calories, steps and sleep still synch with my iPad. Hoping for a new device @Mothers' Day.

Best Answer

6 months.  Never longer than 6 months.

Best Answer