Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long did your Flex last before it died?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was wondering how long do fitbits last before they die, in terms of steps and length of ownership.

I currently own a Fitbit Flex for about 18 months and have logged over 5.5 Million steps. I'm on my 3rd band. I was thinking about upgrading to a charge HR since they have a $50 trade in promotion at the microsoft store. I like the automatic sleep function on the Charge HR, but don't like that you can't change the band.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
379 REPLIES 379

It's too bad that these devices have such a short life span. The app, the concept is outstanding. But reliability and durability are dismal.  I'm going to try one of those $30 trackers featured on Amazon. I can get 5 of them for the price of one fitbit.

Best Answer
I have to agree with you. Sadly it took me 3 units to figure it out.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip.  I am a jogger too so I bought a Garmin which I like so far.  But I am going to check out the tracker on Amazon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there everyone! Good to see you in the Forums! 🙂

I'm very sorry to hear about your trackers 😕 If you've not contacted Support yet and you'd like to see what your options are, you can let me know so that I escalate your cases with them and they will be happy to go from there.

Anything else, I'm here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
Hi-
I got a Charge2 and have good luck with it so far.

--
~Jay
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

My Fitbit lasted just under three years although it stopped swiping long before that but it still charged and I could use it for my run. I did contact “Support” but he told me it was no longer under warrantee so he could not help me. At that point I ldid nothing else and accepted that there was no help for me. Not sure what you can do for me.

Elizabeth

Moderator Edit: Personal Info Removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi there. I appreciate your offer of help. However I am loathe to give FitBit more money for a 4th tracker. 3-6 months is too short of a time for something that costs $130.+. So far I've  spent almost $400 with FitBit for 3 trackers that lasted a total of a year and a half. At this point I'm not spending more money on a Tracker. If you wanted to send me a free replacement I would give it another chance.
Sincerely, Betina

Best Answer
I've moved on to another Chinese made tracker I found on Amazon for $36. It does more, is lighter & waterproof, but the app isn't as good.

If it breaks in a couple of years, I won't complain. Not for $36.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I have had one fitbit charge and three fitbit charge HRs since 2015.  Every one of them died during a firmware update.  Two of them were replaced under warranty.  My problem is not physical damage, it is that fitbit firmware updates are not compatible with older (ie older than one year) models.

I belong to a group of about 15 fitbit users and every one of them has replaced their fitbit at least once during 2 years, because of failure.  I agree that the community is the reason for sticking with fitbit for so long.  It certainly isn't the technology or the quality of the product.

After much contact with the support desk (which is generally helpful) I have finally decided to kick the habit and revert to the TomTom sport I use for logging my runs and cycling with, and has worked and updated very satisfactorily over 2.5 years.  

In general, I felt the updates were often worse than the version they replaced, the price is rather high and fitbit doesn't really support existing customers who happen to own older or cheaper models.

Best Answer
I think you hit the nail on the head.:)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally the bs support is coming out. My replacement tracker failed a couple of weeks ago and Fitbit won’t replace it. It’s not even 2 months old. But it’s ok guys, to replace my new defective replacement I get a discount on a new one.  Great deal Fitbit. I think I’m going back to a normal watch which lasts 20+ years for the same price. 

Best Answer

My Flex Fitbit served four years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Blaze lasted 2 years and 1 month.  Then, pretty much immediately following an OTA firmware upgrade from Fitbit, the battery life overnight reduced from 4 days to 3 hours.  Fitbit's response - "You're outside the Fitbit warranty period - tough!  Here's a link to our shop to buy a new one!"

For any customers in the EU, please be aware that under local law in most EU countries, there is a statutory obligation to repair or replace any defective consumer product for well beyond the 2 year period that Fitbit quotes.  In the UK for example it is 6 years.

Best Answer

Good to see you all in the Community Forums! 🙂

@Jay1919, I'm glad to hear you've not had any problems with your tracker so far!

@ecowan, I'm sorry about that. Usually, when users are out of warranty, the Support Team will offer a discount on the purchase of a new tracker. If this is something you'd like to do, let me know and I'll be happy to help you out!

@Betina, I'm sorry about that too. Now, as much as I'd like to do something else for you, that's out of my hands at the moment 😕 As I offered ecowan, if you'd like to take advantage of the discount, let me know and I will be happy to assist you with that.

@Dorobee, thanks a lot for the feedback, It's highly appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FerdinandFitbit - sorry to correct you, but the Fitbit support team does not offer a discount on a new tracker.  They offer discounts on a very limited range of old trackers.  The discount they offered me only applies to Ionic, Charge 2, Flex 2 and Alta HR.  It does not apply to Ace or Versa (the only tracker I would have any interest in.

Absolutely disgraceful for a company to not even have the ability to repair a defective battery (which is in itself a breach of consumer laws in many countries, including mine), and then in lieu of meeting its legal obligations, it is only willing to offer a small discount on old, superseded models.

Best Answer
That reminded me of one of the old fitbits I was once sent when a fitbit
which was still under guarantee had just died on a firmware update. I went
to the gym then cleaned out a pony stable and the fitbit logged the two
events as 'sleeping'.

It's probably best to think of owning a fitbit more in terms of renting the
software for the duration of the guarantee. For two years you get a
fitbit. Any time after that is a bonus (but you can buy one of their
second hand fitbits at a 25% discount if you complain after the guarantee
period). That works out at about £1 per week.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I originally posted this question because I have found that my fit bits, going on four now have never lasted more than two years.  Recently I ordered a new one being told per this fitbit forum, etc., that it's short life could have been due to how I was charging it.  My new one arrived (the Alta) and it was dead on arrival.  I couldn't charge it, sync, nothing.  I contacted support and after trying many solutions they agreed to send a new one. 
 My new one is already acting weird and not keeping a charge for more than two days.  My former fit bits sometimes lasted 4 to 5 days before charging.  In all the quality of the fitbit products has declined since I purchased my first product over 9 years ago.  So sad, but this will be my last fibit I fear. 
Best Answer
My fitbit Alta lasted 2 1/2 years, though it was declining before that.I recently purchased a Fitbit charge 2. Lets see how long this last.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. Good to see you around!

@mightyharbour, when I say that the Support Team will offer a discount on the purchase of a new tracker if you're out of warranty, I mean that you can get a new device, I'm not talking about the type of device you're elegible to purchase with the discount.

@LuluBoy, I'm very sorry about this situation. If you'd like to take advantage of the discount at any point, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help you out!

Anything else you guys may need, I'm here to help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
At this point I have moved on. I've paid full price for 4 of your FitBits and got one with a discount. Your equipment is sub par and breaks or malfunctions in a few months. I'm not wasting another dime with FitBit. I might wear it if you gave me one for free, however I know that it to would die in 6-8 months. I'm very frustrated that I have wasted so much of my hard earned money on these products. For $130, you should just replace the unit not offer a discount on buying another one. Your company needs to rethink it's customer service policy if it wants to retain  customers.:(

Best Answer