Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My steps are not syncing correctly with challenges

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

my steps in the work week challenge are not registering correctly. It seems to be caught by 2/3rds. The single day challenges reflect the same number of steps as the dashboard. This is getting frustrating as I look my of a loser than in just weight 😭 help!

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity 

Best Answer
226 REPLIES 226
Hi Marre, thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, I'm not logging steps, I'm just logging a run (e.g. 30 minute run for 8:00am to 8:30 am). Fitbit is adding some random number of steps on top of the steps that were logged by the step counter during the run. I'm not trying to add steps - why would I if its logging automatically already?

Thanks again for the response!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Anytime sweetie @Wedwo Smiley Very Happy! By any chance you are using your Fitbit App to track activities or just your Fitbit tracker? 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm using the app - it doesn't seem to auto log activities as far as I can tell. If I track a run using GPS it works fine but if I log a run on the treadmill with the app it adds steps on top of what has already been logged.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Gotcha @WedwoTypically, your steps will be recalculated if you manually log an activity as the manually logged activity takes precedence over the steps you tracked while wearing your tracker at that point in time. For example, if I am wearing my Flex and walking and I reach 10,000 steps, then I go to the computer and manually log an activity that starts and ends at that point in time for say 1 hour, Fitbit will calculate how many steps you took and it may bring my step count to something below 10,000 steps. To clarify, activities should only be manually logged when you forget to wear your Flex.

Hope this clarifies a bit better Woman Very Happy

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
This drives me nuts in challenges! I normally need to charge my tracker once a week so its inevitable I'm going to need to take it off. I try to do something I can easily measure like walking/jogging on a treadmill during that time. Of course I'm losing every challenge because my steps don't count unless the tracker has "counted" them. Ugh! Frustrating!
Best Answer

I am having the same problems with my fitbit charge HR. it counts the steps but does not transfer the steps to the app nor challenges. i wear the fitbit constantly and the last time it logged steps in the app wak 11/18/2015. please help. it is frustrating me. ans logs the same amount of calories burned everyday at 1976 calories. please help

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the forums @Herutje @rumbledolly! I'll be glad to provide some information about challenges. 

Challenges can be affected by the timezone of the members who are in it as well as any logged activities on your account, this includes MobileRun, manual logs and third party logging.

In this case, it's best to use your tracked steps (without mobile run or manual log) while stepping. Using any kind of manual logging when running or walking will not count towards your challenges.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions Cat Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Why don't manually logged steps count in challenges? My battery had died so I used my apple health app instead for my walk.

Best Answer

Hello @jody01! Welcome to the forums Cat Happy

At this time, only steps from your tracker count towards challenges. This is because it's best to get all the steps tracked from the same source and under the same terms; to keep the challenges as fair as possible. 

Let me know if you have any questions, happy stepping! Smiley Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

I have tried everything, and it is still not syncing. it sync to about 1/3 of the entire sync and then stops. also the app indicate that the battery is completely empty which it is not as i charged it over night. please help this is very annoying. I see today's steps and then the step from previous days are zero again. --

Moderator edit: removed personal information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am having the same problem with the challenge showing a different number of steps than my dashboard shows. The challenge is showing less steps that I actually walked. I have logged anything manually or had the Fitbit setting on 'mobile run'. Looks like many others are having this issue and the solutions that have been posted by the moderators do not apply to this not working properly. Can the moderator report this to the programmers to fix in an upcoming update (if they can figure out the cause of the problem)? What is the point of having the devise if it doesn't work as intended or advertised. I have the Fitbit Flex. Thanks to the moderators for trying to help..
Best Answer
I did two challenges this week with a different step count. I noticed it when a friend, in both challenges, was 2500 or so steps behind me in one challenge and 1900 behind in the other!

I love my fitbit but it needs to get its act together!
Best Answer

If I wear my flex on my walk and then log in the distance does the dashboard add more steps to my total?  Is that why my dashboard has more step than the challenge board?  How can I stop that from happening?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I can't track my exercise and wear my tracker at the same time?  Correct?

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes
Normally when you walk your steps are relatively accurate. Only log in when you're not wearing Fitbit or when you know it's not reading...biking, circuit training, etc. On challenges only steps counted by fitbit count in the challenge. Hope this helped!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello!

I too am having issues with my dashboard synching my steps with the challenges.

1. Yes, shows connected.

2. I am not manually logging steps.

3. I am not using the Mobile Run feature.

4. I am not in a different time zone.

5. Battery is full.

Please help!

Best Answer
I have found I often have to turn off Bluetooth and even Internet to sync steps. I turn off, wait, turn back on. Often I just restart my device. I am syncing via a tablet as my phone is a bit older and isn't able to update to the latest version of android os. Are you able to sync via computer or another device? I have found sync is buggy since last update. Wish I could offer more help. I'm sure an expert can chime in! Good luck and don't give up!
Best Answer

Thank You! 

It still doesn't show my challenge as updated (51 min).  So i'll give it more time.

I have also tried the following:

1. Restarting my Phone

2. Deleting then Reinstalling my App

3. Quitting the Challenge and then Rejoining

4. Turning off, wait, turn back on Bluetooth and WiFi

I'll try to see if I can access through the computer as well.  I haven't tried that before.

Best Answer

Hmmm, how do you see the challenges online?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I do have days that nothing works so I feel your pain! I find my Bluetooth often prevents me from accessing my wifi. It's a juggling act at best and something I'd wish fitbit would address. My steps don't automatically update in challenges. It often takes 30 minutes or so. As long as it eventually syncs I'm cool. With it.
Best Answer