Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My steps are not syncing correctly with challenges

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

my steps in the work week challenge are not registering correctly. It seems to be caught by 2/3rds. The single day challenges reflect the same number of steps as the dashboard. This is getting frustrating as I look my of a loser than in just weight 😭 help!

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity 

Best Answer
226 REPLIES 226

I agree that any step should count, no matter how you got it or what you were doing. To not count step because you entered it manually is a trust issue.

Best Answer

This is happening to me too. We all live in the same time zone and I am not manually logging anything. My steps on the dashboard are over 2000 more than in my challenge. I have the flex. What else could be the problem? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am having the same issue. My steps counted for the day are over 7,500- but my challenge steps are at 2900. I have no Third party apps, no manual entries and only track my runs by step counter - no GPS run tracking at all. I am in the same time zone and as far as I can tell I am not in the live mobile setting ( although I have no idea what that is). I only use the Fitbit app and rarely use the website. I've logged in and out, force synced it and turned Bluetooth on and off. Any ideas what could help?
Best Answer
0 Votes
The first time this happened I finally uninstalled the Fitbit programs from my computer and my mobile device. Next I put my Flex Fitbit in it’s charger and reset it by using a paper clip in the small hole on the surface. Put the Fitbit back on your wrist, download the software on your computer using your account name and password. Make sure your Fitbit is close to the dongle in your computer’s USB port. Reinstall the app on your phone. I actually tapped my Fitbit a few time to make sure it was updating itself. Try it a second time if it doesn’t work and make sure it is charged. This should bring it all back on line without losing your history.

I still have an issue with the mobile device not updating. Be sure not only the Bluetooth but the NFC beam and android beam (found in settings on your phone) is on. It can also sometimes be resolved with turning on your location setting making sure you allow Google to be on. After it sync’s I turn it off the location access, just a personal preference. Sometimes I still have to sync with the computer in order to update the steps. The phone’s Bluetooth might need to be turned off so the computer isn’t competing for the signal.

As far as challenges it won’t count an manual steps that you may enter for exercise, it also won’t count and alters GPS steps to the average they have set up in the software (I lost 1,000 steps after I synced the band to the computer.)

Good luck!

Sent from Windows Mail
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I'm not fully computing your response... are you saying that if I go for a run and manually update the exercise data with the duration and distance of my run it wont count towards my work week challenge?

I really hope that's not the case.  I just completed an 11k run and I sure as hell hope I get credit for all that hard work!  That's rediculous if it doesn't count.

Best Answer

Hi Victoria,

Unfortunately that is correct... Manually added activity does not count towards challenges, nor does it even factor into your step total that is view able by your friends. You should still manually add it and see what happens, because there is always an incredibly small chance that Fitbit actually bothered to read its customer support forums and respond to the issues people have brought up... But that's not very likely.

This could all be solved with customizable challenges Fitbit! Imagine if there were settings specific to manually added activity that allowed admins of challenges to allow or disallow manually added activity, or set approval processes for manually added activity (such as majority vote from other participants in the challenge, admin approval, etc.)

Those are some potential solutions to avoid the problem of your customers continually getting enraged over the fact that leaving their Fitbit at home means all the activity they do without their Fitbit is virtually invisible to their friends 😄

I'll bet you money no from Fitbit ever reads this, because they do a horrible job of monitoring and responding to customer feedback.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am so angry. My tracking doesnt sync with the challenge. I won the weekend challenge but it won't sync correctly. So I got 2nd place. Please help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I find it incredibly frustrating that after an hour on the treadmill that I had to manually log because I forgot to put my fitbit on, these steps aren't included in challenges.  While I realize this is a first world problem, it is incredibly disheartening and unmotivating to get up at 430 am and bust your butt only to find you still lose to your friends because of a fitbit setting.

Best Answer

I have a variety of my sports which must be manually logged in ie water aerobics and rowing and push-ups/sit-ups . I am empathetic.

Sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
Thanks for your kind response.
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you exercise, Don't sync your exercise steps. They will not be added to the challenge steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

All of this, minus same timezone. It's been happening for two weeks now that the workweek hustle shows me at 6k steps in total at the end of the week while my actual total is 80k. 

I have reset the fitbit several times over the last two weeks;

I have deleted and re-installed the mobile app several times;

It shows connected;

I do not manually log steps;

I do not use the Mobile Run feature;

and the battery is full. 

Moreover, while I am in a different timezone, that should not make the difference between

6.436 steps (and it says 'now'  behind it as if it just updated)

and

80.645 steps (which I can see from the rankings in Friends > 7 Day Steps).

I've tried everything. It's insane that this is such an issue for many people, because honestly it's just a reference to counted steps -- which do show in the friend list overview -- so how in the world is this going wrong in the app! Happy to get a solution that works!

Best Answer
So frustrating. Takes your blood pressure up when you are just trying to be healthy

Sent from my iPhone
Becky Rose
Best Answer
0 Votes
What a total and complete waste of money this device is. Since my battery in my new Fitbit can't hold a charge ! I had to enter my steps manually and although I had to most steps, I didn't win. Not that I'm even competitive, this is about trying to get healthy. I'm returning this thing. What a colossal disappointment.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm not sure what happened in the beginning when I first stared the challenges. However, now all my steps are syncing. I don't manually enter any.
I've also had no problem with the fitbit. I love my fitbit. This was one of the best purchases I have made.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue during the work week hustle that I am missing steps, the members in the group are in the same time zone and no one else is having the issue. On Monday I was short 3000, today its over 5000. I am not using a manual tracker. My battery is charged.

I started another work week hustle with other friends and it is registering my steps the same as my dashboard.

Why will the primary work week hustle not register my steps accurately?

Thanks

Best Answer

I think this is something that needs to be fixed. When I wear my Fitbit and run 5 miles it says I only ran a little over 3, therefore I don't wear my Fitbit and just turn on the exercise tracker for my runs and due to the GPS it actually records my workouts correctly. Now I have the same problem tho...not transferring steps from my exercise tracking to my challenges. No one else has the problem with their Fitbit working properly in recording workouts plus now I am not getting credit for them in the challenges! Super frustrating!

Best Answer

When all else fails email fitbit trouble shooting group.  tell them if you have rebooted, got your battery charged, etc so they don't write back with the mundane beginner level information.   It is frustrating to miss out of the week's challenge when you are trying so hard. 

Best Answer

This may be a stupid question but what activity are you performing?  Only walking, running, jumping rope, badminton etc and things like dance and aerobics really register the full steps. Rowing, rock climbing, scuba diving, skiing will not register all the steps.  Most other sports are not going to register very many steps.  If you are pounding the pavement so to speak and you are charged up, then you should show your steps. Contact fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The original poster said "manual steps" were not being calculated. I think most people know that swimming, weights, other activities need to be added manually, but who knows. I'll be curious to see what she says. 

Best Answer
0 Votes