Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up new device to existing account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I lost my fitbit and bought another.  How do I synch my new one when my computer still synchs with the old one?

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Follow the instructions here:  REPLACEMENT TRACKER

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

It's nice to see you around @glenmoreSmiley Very Happy Follow these steps on your Mac to add your new Surge:

1. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup.
  2. Scroll down and click the option to download. If the button does not correctly show your type of computer (for example, if it says “Download for PC”), choose the correct type, then click the button.
  3. When prompted, open the .dmg file that appears.
    User-added image
  4. From the options that appear, click the Install Fitbit Connect.pkg file.User-added image
  5. In the Install Fitbit Connect window, click Continue to move through the installation screens.User-added image
  6. When prompted, choose Set up a New Fitbit Device.
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a Fitbit account and connect your tracker. If your computer has Bluetooth, setup can take place wirelessly. If not, you’ll be prompted to plug in the wireless sync dongle that came with your tracker. Note that the Blaze does not come with a dongle.

Note that the personal information you’re asked for during account setup is used to calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which helps determine your estimated calorie expenditure. This information is private unless you go into your Privacy settings and opt to share age, height, or weight with Fitbit friends.

Let me know if this helps!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

Follow the instructions here:  REPLACEMENT TRACKER

Best Answer

Trying to synch a new flex, I have downloaded the new version of the software.  I am still WindowsXP and Firefox.  Obviously I have internet connectivity because I am posting this question (and the download completed)!  but the fitbit connect keeps saying "no internet access".  Ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to see you here, welcome to the Forums @kfrase Smiley Very HappyTo set up your replacement on PC running Fitbit Connect:

1. Charge your new tracker to ensure it has power, and make sure a wireless sync dongle is inserted into a USB port on your computer.
  2. If you used the same computer with your previous Fitbit, you should see the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time.
  3. Click the Fitbit Connect icon.
  4. Click Open Main Menu...
  5. Click Set Up a New Fitbit Device.
  6. Click Existing User.
  7. Enter your fitbit.com account email address and password, then click Log In.
  8. Click Yes when prompted to replace your existing tracker and follow the remaining onscreen instructions. You're ready to get moving.

If you're trying to use Firefox, try using a different browser. Let me know if this process works Woman Wink

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

hi,

I have received a replacement tracker as my earlier tracker went defective.

As per the instructions, when I am trying to configure new device with the existing account it shows following error:-

"in order to sync, please make sure to install Fitbit Connect or other apps trying to use fitbit station"

I have uninstalled and re-installed fitbit app on my Windows 10 three times, but everytime I get the same error

Please help

Thanks

Amit Turan 

Best Answer

Hello my friend, welcome to the Community @turan Woman Very Happy! Please do the following in order to add your new Fitbit:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap Account at the top.
  2. Tap Set Up a New Fitbit Device.
  3. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue. Note that you cannot set up a Fitbit Surge with a device running the Fitbit app for Windows 10. If you set up the tracker with another device, you can sync with the Windows 10 app.

If you keep having issues, do the following:

Note that its not possible to set up a Surge with the Fitbit app for Windows. You can set up your tracker using another compatible device and then use the Windows app for other functions like syncing, checking your stats, logging food and exercise, and more.

1. Restart your tracker using the instructions in How do I restart my tracker?
  2. Try the setup process again.
  3. Reboot your mobile device (turn it off and then back on).
  4. Try setting up your tracker again.
  5. If you have access to a computer, try setting up with your computer using the computer instructions in How do I set up my tracker?
  6. If you can't set up with a computer, uninstall and reinstall the Fitbit app and and try setting up your tracker again. 

Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, that was very helpful!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're very welcome @michbehavin Smiley Very Happy! I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

Hope to see you participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community, so you can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

Have a nice weekend!

Best Answer
0 Votes
hmm, I followed the directions to replace the flex associated with my
account with the new one... and have been watching the app "loading" for
20 minutes ! This is actually the second round of 20 minutes, I tried
rebooting the phone but it didn't help... 20 minutes and counting ....

what do I try next?

Katharine
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you've tried the steps I've posted without luck, my best recommendation would be to get in touch with Customer Support directly so they can do a deeper investigation to see where the issue is coming from.

Just don't forget to mention the steps you've done so far to avoid getting the same ones.

Have a nice weekend @kfrase

Best Answer
0 Votes
I found another way around it. Deleted the old flex from the account
first, and then I could proceed properly.

thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

Amazing news my friend @kfrase Woman Very Happy, I'm glad to hear that worked for you!

Hope to see you participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community, so you can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

Happy stepping!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband got a new fit bit and gave me his old one, i am new to fit bit, how do i set up the old  fitbit to my phone? I downloaded the fitbit app on my phone, and i have already created an account online. So again I login in on the app, and i click on the fitbit i have and it says to go onto the fitbit website. I don't know what else to try.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm glad to have a new member around @kailinmj Smiley Very Happy, welcome! 

Have you tried following the instructions that my friend @SunsetRunner shared in the link above?

If so, I'd like to know:

• What's the model of your phone
  • What's the tracker you're trying to pair
  • What erros are you getting
  • Do you have any other mobile device or computer you could try to pair it with?

Catch you later!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Worked great.  Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Amazing news @FR10 Smiley Very Happy, I'm glad to see this thread was helpful!

Happy stepping! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Marre,

I have just upgraded to a surge and cannot find that your instructions (on my mac) apply ?

Please help

Thanks

Noel.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to see you around @glenmoreSmiley Very Happy Follow these steps on your Mac to add your new Surge:

1. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup.
  2. Scroll down and click the option to download. If the button does not correctly show your type of computer (for example, if it says “Download for PC”), choose the correct type, then click the button.
  3. When prompted, open the .dmg file that appears.
    User-added image
  4. From the options that appear, click the Install Fitbit Connect.pkg file.User-added image
  5. In the Install Fitbit Connect window, click Continue to move through the installation screens.User-added image
  6. When prompted, choose Set up a New Fitbit Device.
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a Fitbit account and connect your tracker. If your computer has Bluetooth, setup can take place wirelessly. If not, you’ll be prompted to plug in the wireless sync dongle that came with your tracker. Note that the Blaze does not come with a dongle.

Note that the personal information you’re asked for during account setup is used to calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which helps determine your estimated calorie expenditure. This information is private unless you go into your Privacy settings and opt to share age, height, or weight with Fitbit friends.

Let me know if this helps!

Best Answer

Thanks Marre,

Your new instructions were great - tried to use them,but as I had already logged my new surge in - it took some time to connect,so I didnt proceed.

FYI - when I first opened my new surge,I updated my ios device and presume that the syncing took place on my mac.

Does this make sense - either way,the surge is on my ios device and my mac,so I guess that all is well ???

Thanks

Noel.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's right my friend @glenmore, since your Surge got connected with your iOS device, as long as you log with the same credentials you do on your iOS, your Mac will display your Fitbit dashboard with your data updated correctly. 

Thanks for the update my dear! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes