Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps Recording on Flex while riding motorcycle

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My flex showed 10,000 plus steps yesterday. Actual steps were more like 3,000. However I did spend about 4 hours riding my motorcycle. Does the vibration activate the step monitor? Wierd because most days my steps are between 3-5k.

Any others with this problem?

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the forums @osito! I wrote a post with some biking tips, not too long ago to help some fellow bikers who were encountering a problem when riding their Harley Davidson Cat Happy While this activity is still being tracked, it may not be as accurate as if you were walking the distance you're traveling on your Harley; this is why there is a  motorcycle activity on your activities list, it will show as " Motor scooter, motorcycle". You can put your trackers on your pocket while riding and then edit any steps that might have been tracked. 

Hope this helps! Happy riding! Cat Wink

Moderator Edit: Formatting and merged replies

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
80 REPLIES 80

Loads of people, it's really quite common. Given that it sits on your wrist looking for motion, a vehicle on a bumpy road is quite capable of causing it to log a number of steps.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Welcome to the forums @osito! I wrote a post with some biking tips, not too long ago to help some fellow bikers who were encountering a problem when riding their Harley Davidson Cat Happy While this activity is still being tracked, it may not be as accurate as if you were walking the distance you're traveling on your Harley; this is why there is a  motorcycle activity on your activities list, it will show as " Motor scooter, motorcycle". You can put your trackers on your pocket while riding and then edit any steps that might have been tracked. 

Hope this helps! Happy riding! Cat Wink

Moderator Edit: Formatting and merged replies

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks helenarriaza. Figured out I could create an activity of motorcycle riding, enter the hours/min of the ride and the steps automagically adjuted. Bada bing bada boom. Probably a lot more to learn but it is at least making me concious of my health which is the biggest plus for this device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is excellent news @osito! Let me know if you have any questions. Cat Wink

PS: Have you checked our Health & Wellness board? They are buzzing with new fitbitters like you :smileyvery-happy:

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
0 Votes

it does it also when using a weed eater have to take it off and put in pocket of pants

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just wondering how you created an activity of motorcycle riding to reduce the steps.  I rode my bike yesterday and it added 104 flights of stairs and about 4500 steps.  I do not have the premium account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don’t think you need a premium account.

Got to Fitbit.com and open your dashboard.

Go to recent exercises and click on the “see more” that appears when you
hover over the white box.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see “activities”.

Click on the “create custom activity” and name it motorcycle or Harley or
whatever you like.

Once you have this activity created, when you open it up it will ask for
the date time etc.

After you fill in these parameters, it will adjust you steps accordingly.

Moderator Edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer

Thanks osito.  I tried that.  But it did not eliminate the extra steps walked nor did it delete the extra 103 flights of stairs.  

Best Answer
No, custom activities won't delete steps. Only the predefined 'Driving' activity is capable of doing that and some people find that even that doesn't work for them.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

mine does that too.  the vibration of the bike causes my flex to go from sleep to active mode constantly until wearing the battery dead.  i took it off my wrist last sunday when i rode and it tracked 15k steps!  it was in my windshield bag. LOL>

Best Answer
0 Votes

While riding my motorcycle, Fitbit added 30,000 steps a day to my count. How can I adjust this down? I did try the adding an activity "Automobile Driving" but that fix did nothing.

Thanks,

Joe

Best Answer

Open your Dashboard on the web site.

Go to Activities. https://www.fitbit.com/activities

Create a new Activity (Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and
click on Create a New Activity.

Call it motorcycle or whatever you want.

Once the activity is created you can enter the time, duration and/or miles.

Once you enter this information, it will automagically deduct those “steps”
from your step count.

I have found it is easier for me to just take the Fitbit off if I when I
start my ride and put it back on when I get home.

Moderator's edit: Removed personal information. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
yes, I find it is easier to take it off too.   although sometimes we ride to a destination where we will be doing some walking.  I am going to use a pedometer for that and then figure out how to add my steps to the fitbit.  thanks again.   
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue.  I leave my house with 500 steps, ride motorcycle to work and arrive with 2,300 steps. 

I tried both adding a custom activity by adding the start and end time of 'motorcycle riding' as well as change the activity 'outdoor bike' to driving and total step count are not reduced .  My iPhone dooes not pick up the motorcycle driving and has a way more accruate step recorder.

Also, do I have to manually do this every day to remove the steps created by the motorcyle ride?  What a pain that would be to have to edit this dashboard every day.  Not sure I will keep this fitbit at this point.  I am strongly considering returing it and sticking to my iphone step/activity recorder which is FREE and included in the iphone.

Is there not a way to turn off this device?  I would even tolerate turning it off for a motorcycle ride but it doesnt seem possible to 'delete steps' or power off this device.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

I ride a bike everyday 

I noticed Fitbit incorrectly adding steps. 

What is Fitbit doing to resolve 

this is not accurate or acceptable 

Best Answer

it is not just motorcycles, I rode in a bumpy pickup for 6 hours and it logged me at 30,000 steps

Best Answer

I tried your suggestion.  It doesn't remove the flights or the steps.

Best Answer

@Lezleee wrote:

I ride a bike everyday 

I noticed Fitbit incorrectly adding steps. 

What is Fitbit doing to resolve 

this is not accurate or acceptable 

sadly, looks like nothing

Best Answer

HOw do we create an activity called motorcycle- 

can the store we purchased from do this. 

Is there support for this 

please assist ! 

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes