Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps not being tracked when using a walker.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't think that my steps are being accurately counted when I use a walker and don't swing my arms. Does the fit bit count steps even if your arms are not moving?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Holding on to a walker, shopping cart, stroller, etc will result in an inaccurate step count. Same thing on a treadmaill where you aren't technically moving forward. You could try putting it in your pocket to see if that helps, but it really needs the arm movement. Perhaps a Fitbit One that is not worn on the wrist would be better suited to your needs.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
53 REPLIES 53

Holding on to a walker, shopping cart, stroller, etc will result in an inaccurate step count. Same thing on a treadmaill where you aren't technically moving forward. You could try putting it in your pocket to see if that helps, but it really needs the arm movement. Perhaps a Fitbit One that is not worn on the wrist would be better suited to your needs.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear my Flex on my ankle and have it calibrated to within an inch of its life.

I had to switch it because of the opposite problem, I knit and crochet and oh boy did that log me some steps before I figured it out 😄

On my ankle works really well for me.

Best Answer

I use a Fitbit Alta and spent the day at our fair (North Idaho State Fair) walking a total of 3 hours with a walker. I am sure I logged over 8,000 steps today and my Alta only registered 3,600 when I got home. I will try putting it in my pocket next time. I know I walked a lot more than it gave me credit for.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't bother trying the Fitbit One.  I am using a walker following hip surgery, and my One is not counting any steps I take with a walker.  It's disappointing because it would be helpful to track my progress each day as I recover.

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that if you are wearing a crew sock. You can put your fit back in the crew sock and get your accurate steps. I know that defeats the purpose of it being on your wrist but walking with a walker and a shopping cart that is the only way to get accurate steps. I walk with a cane and look rather silly swinging my arm when I walk with a cane so this is the best solution overall. I will put it on my wrist when I'm not wearing a crew sock and whatever steps it account  it accounts. There is no perfect solution.

I have found that if you are wearing a crew sock. You can put your fit back in the crew sock and get your accurate steps. I know that defeats the purpose of it being on your wrist but walking with a walker and a shopping cart this seems to be the only way to get accurate steps. I walk with a cane also and look rather silly swinging my arm when I walk so this is the best solution overall. I will put it on my wrist when I'm not wearing a crew sock and whatever steps it counts  it counts. There is no perfect solution.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

To record steps when using walker is easy, I take the unit out of my wrist band and put it on the inside of my leg in my sock. Works great

Best Answer
I wear compression socks or hose so I can't do that. I find it works just
as well to put it in my pants pocket or an outer pocket of my cargo pants.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
For those who use walkers and shopping carts and treadmills place the Fitbit in your stocking with the Fitbit towards the top of your foot your ankle so that it can monitor your heart beat. I found this is the best. I also found if your heartbeat is not recording that if you go in and turn your heartbeat on and off in the settings it will restart so it is working but if all else fails just reset up your Fitbit and you will not lose any steps that you have incurred that day.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Problem solved. Have a great day counting.Take careR

Best Answer
0 Votes
I cannot use the vinyl wristband for my fitbit as arthritis has left me
with no pinch strength. That being said, I have a magnetic metal wristband
that doesn't open up all the way and cannot wrap it around my ankle. I also
stated I wear compression socks and cannot put my Alta inside a sock.
Thanks for the info though.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Let me think about your Problem, am sure I will find a solution.Rutger

Best Answer

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have brought this to my attention and I really want to thank you for the clever solutions you have come up to overcome this issue. 

As mentioned before If you're doing something like pushing a stroller or or a walker, your wrist-based tracker will count your steps but the total may be slightly lower than usual. However if the wrist where you have the tracker is completely static during the exercise, it might not count the steps during that exercise. Some of you have suggested to place the your tracker inside a sock but if you put it in your pocket it will also have the same effect. 

I'd like to mention that there's currently a suggested idea by @fudge22 to implement a stroller mode in a future update. Feel free to vote for it or add your comment to show your support, this is the best place to make your voice heard.

I hope this information had been useful, feel free to reply if you need anything else!

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Actually a perfect accessibility adaptation would be a walker/stroller update.

With degenerative disease I need to keep an eye on my HR, use the walker to not fall, and bought the Versa to track and time my powerwalks.

Just came now to the forums why it wasn't working. And hope there is an update for this soon.

Best Answer

UPDATE:

As suggested  before remove unit from your wrist band and place in your sock. Works great.

Rutger

Best Answer
That’s fine for regular socks but not compression socks like I wear. They’re very tight and the Fitbit digs into my leg. Thanks anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
hi, how high arey our socks.?go to Shoppers, a drug store and buy an expandeble sleeve, they cut it to the lengh you want, it comes in differend width.if married, get one of her old panty hoses, and cut a sleeve .

Best Answer