Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calories over budget explanation

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

newbie to this and not getting why it consistently tells me im over my calorie budget at the same time as it says i have a couple of hundred calories left?my output is way over my input too.any thoughts?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
157 REPLIES 157
I set a calorie deficit of 750...today I burned 1308 calories and input 464 skm oko I should have 94 remaining....yet it's telling me I still have 258 remaining ???
Best Answer
0 Votes
No still confused
Best Answer
0 Votes
I am still confused it says I have 128 calories left but I am over budget. 1206/1533. None of the explanations I read make sense. I want to lose weight which I am but this confuses me. I don't like being in the red.
Best Answer

I totally do not get the over/under budget.  Since June 27th, I've been in the green zone only once.  July 13th:  1450 cals in, 2252 out, showing "yellow" and says under budget but then says, I am 59 calories over budget!  I am incredibly confused by this.Woman Frustrated

Best Answer

Good new is... I just burned 500 calories reading these explanations.  My goodness fitbit, get this right please!

One of the core reasons most people exercise is to be healthy AND to lose weight!

Tracking in / out down to the calories and STILL not being able to use or understand your app is pretty frustrating! 

Best Answer
Considering how much all of us have paid for the hardware, you'd think they
could hire programmers who could write an awesome app instead of one with
so many kinks and problems. Even some of the free apps do at least as well
as this.
Best Answer
I think you are exactly right! Being over or under your calories depends on calories in vs calories out at any given time of the day. I can be over in the morning and under that afternoon based on my meals and activity.
For example, if I have 300 calories for breakfast and have 500 calories out, I will be under but if I have 800 calories for brunch and only 700 calories out, I'm over.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So confusing.

Best Answer
And I thought it was just me! Totally and unnecessarily confusing. Otherwise - love the Fitbit, as do my dogs.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Everyone! Thank you so much for all the details that you've shared. Those tiles are different and they shouldn't show the same information just because the Food Plan tile will show how many calories you've eaten based in the food plan that you chose, this tile will show the calories that you're still allow to eat and how many you've eaten and how many you can still eat. However, the calories in vs out tile you'll see how many calories you've eaten and how many you've burned. You can still eat more calories if you want if you have more than what you've eaten. However, if you eat more; the food plan tile says you're over budget because you're exceeding the calories that you should eat. 

You can check this post to learn how is the food plan calculated. 

eatenunder.png

Hope this helpsRobot Happy!

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate your breakdown @JMHaro  thank you, I was really confused myself.

I am going to try your method and see if it makes sense to me.  I'm one of those people who has to "do it" to understand.

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks Tawnee!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Silvia, your reply is appreciated, but doesn't make sense because of the way you wrote it. Could you please put yourself in the position of someone brand new to fitbit, and explain it from the beginning? What information does the scale tile show EXACTLY? What information does the calories left tile mean EXACTLY? Start with an example, and show us how increasing exercise and logging foo are supposed to affect the tiles, and what that information means throughout the day.
And please don't use run on sentences with lots of commas, it's difficult to follow. Also please proofread your post- I think there were some typos and repeated phrases in the last one, which further confused me. I know it's a lot to ask for perfect "English class"style writing in a post- but clearly there is a need for more thorough communication here! Thanks in advance!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Okay, after rereading the moderators explanation, and doing some experimenting, I think I've got it figured out. Ill try to explain as simply as i can- In reality, we've all been making it harder than it has to be! The main thing to understand is that the app is giving you REAL TIME information based on its PREDICTIONS of how your day will go. It is not like other programs where you have the same calorie budget every day that you subtract from like a checkbook. It adjusts your calorie budget in real time to match the actual number of calories you are burning. Every day is different - so your calorie budget is different each day too.

First, the scale. The scale compares current calories in to current calories out, and tells you whether you are on track SO FAR to make your deficit by the end of the day or not. So if after breakfast the difference between calories in and calories out is only 20 calories, it assumes you are going to continue eating roughly that same way for lunch and dinner too, meaning your total deficit would only be about 60 calories (20 per meal) by the end of the day. Definitely over budget! So the scale goes to red to warn you that you had better either exercise more than usual today, or eat less at the next 2 meals if you want to get back on track. So the red "overbudget" DOES NOT mean you ate all your calories for the day- it means as of right now you are eating too much for what you have burned so far, and IF you continue that pattern you won't make your deficit goal.

If, after breakfast, the difference between in and out is more like 340, then fit bit thinks "keep that up and by dinner we'll be at 1020 deficit- just right!" So it puts you in the green.
Its just a wakeup call, warning you or reassuring you about where you are headed on your current path so you can make adjustments if needed.

Next is the "Calories left" amount. This number has NOTHING to do with the scale numbers! It is the amount that fitbit PREDICTS at the beginning of each day that you can eat and still make your deficit, IF you continue your usual activity. From what I can tell, this prediction comes from your average daily calories burned in the past. It will change slightly every day, as the average adjusts. It's is NOT a fixed calorie budget, like "I get 1600 cal every day". All fitbit cares about is getting your deficit every day, not eating a set number of calories.

For example, my average daily calories burned is about 2800. My chosen deficit is 1000, so this morning before I ate anything, it said "1800 calories left". Makes sense. Where it gets tricky is when that number starts changing without me eating anything!

Here's my explanation for that:

Fitbit expects me to burn my usual 2800 calories. Thats why it gave me 1800 to eat today. But what if I'm having an off day? Not exercising as much as usual? I might only burn 2400 cal that day, and if I still eat 1800, I won't make my deficit. So partway through the day, fitbit notices I'm not as active as usual, and adjusts my "calories left" down a little so that I'll eat less and be more likely to meet my deficit. If I continue to be inactive all day, (like if I'm sick in bed or traveling in a car) then every few minutes fitbit will realize I'm getting farther and farther off track from what it originally expected, and adjust my "calories left" down little by little to nudge me closer to target. So by the end of the day, if i follow the program, i will have only eaten 1400 cal instead of 1800, and ill still reach my 1000 deficit. (Now i may not want to eat that little, and prefer to stick with the 1800 and end up not meeting my deficit that day, and thats okay. But at the end of the day, fitbit will tell me i went over by 400 calories. Even though i had 1800 to start with, by the end of the day i didnt burn as many as hoped, so I could only afford to eat 1400.)
Conversly, if I'm having an awesome day and go for an extra long run that morning, fitbit will realize I'm already on track to burn more than my average of 2800, and will INCREASE "calories left", so I will eat more and still meet the deficit.

All it cares about is the deficit!

Its actually a pretty cool system. It automatically adjusts to your personal activity levels, and gives real time info on how close you are to being on track for your deficit. As you lose weight over time and enter your new weight, your calorie needs and calories burned automatically update into the equation, helping you avoid the confusion that comes with traditional calorie counting, where you reach a plateau and think "1600 calories a day just isn't working anymore, should I eat less or exercise more?...". Also it automatically allows you to eat more on days you work really hard, so you dont make the mistake of getting over hungry and sabatoging yourself.
This program will always steer you toward getting your deficit, no matter the numbers inbolved.

The key is just to trust that it works and not get hung up on the math! If your scale is in the red, walk a little more and go a little lighter on your next meal- it will turn green once you are back on track. If your "calories left" is dropping and it looks like you won't be able to afford dessert like you planned, go for a run to bring them back up. Or only eat half the dessert. And if you are already over because after you ate your last calorie and thought you were okay they rudely kept dropping, you can still go for the evening walk and bring the calories back up before midnight.

It may take some getting used to- last night I had 75 cal left after dinner and was in the green zone- thought I was good. But as the night went on I was very sedentary and the only calories being burned were the basal calories I burn at rest. The "75 left" dropped to 55 then 22... and when I checked the next morning I was actually 4 calories over for the day! Based on my previous average burn, fitbit had expected me to do more activity that evening. But I didnt. And so I didn't make my deficit, even though I ate within what I thought was my calorie budget. Only by 4 calories, so it's not the end of the world. But if I had just taken a few more steps it would have been perfect.
Im having to adjust the way i think about my calorie budget to make this work, and its a little irritating. But that's why this program so accurate and effective- and I think I'm learning to like it. No matter what, it WILL keep me headed toward my deficit, and if I follow, I WILL lose 2lbs a week! 🙂

Hope that helps!
Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Well done Tiamarie25! I think you just cleared up the whole process for many fitbit users out there. The numbers can really mess with your head if you let them. But as you well explained it's an ongoing, minute buy minute, deficit driven program. I'm going to send you a friend request to keep me grounded lol.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Lol- thanks! It ended up being so long that I hoped it was useful to someone, and not just endless rambling! Feel free to add me as a friend. What name do I watch for? I usually don't accept unknown friend requests, and I don't want to miss it. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for an amazing explanation and many, many thanks from everyone as confused as me. I realised it was adjusting constantly. I had to make a decision last night as to whether to go for a bit of a walk so as to bring up the calories to be able to have a satsuma. I remained satsumaless.
Best Answer
0 Votes
It would be great if it worked just that way, but at least on mine, it
doesn't. I have zero deficit programmed in - I have my goal weight as my
current weight. On random days, exercise included or not, it will put on
my stats for that day (after midnight, so no more updates happen) that I'm
over budget for the day - with a deficit of several hundred calories! The
previous and next days can have the same calorie intake and burn and say
under budget. No planned deficit, no change in steps or exercise, no change
in calories eaten or burned, and one day will say under, another over.
That is an error, not a feature.
Best Answer
0 Votes
That does sound like an error. Wish I had an answer for that, sorry. I do have issues with refreshing mine- sometimes it will refresh everything but the calories burned and I have to close the app and reopen it to update. But that doesn't sound like your problem.
I agree that it's confusing an not very user friendly, and needs some bugs fixed!
Best Answer
0 Votes