Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calories over budget explanation

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

newbie to this and not getting why it consistently tells me im over my calorie budget at the same time as it says i have a couple of hundred calories left?my output is way over my input too.any thoughts?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
157 REPLIES 157

"The Food Plan will work like this: The calorie deficit will be deducted from the amount of calories burned and those will be the calories that you're allowed to eat." 

OMG, thank you. This paragraph FINALLY explains what I've been trying to figure out since I got my Fitbit. No other explanation made since! I've lost 15 pounds since mid October 2016 by staying in the zone or below it. It works!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the explanation that will explain it is on this thread. It's the one about how all those numbers change automatically at 6 a.m., at noon, at 6 p.m. and then midnight based on averages and not what you're actually eating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem. I finished dinner and I was over budget--I knew I would be. Then I worked out for an hour, burned most of it off so I could stay in the "green" but I still was 97 cals over. But when I was going to bed, the number of calories over had actually gone up! How? I didn't eat anything and I'd been doing household chores, walking up and down stairs, etc.  

i relaly want want to use Fitbit to track calories to lose weight, and it's only a matter of 100 calories in this case, but if I don't know what I'm burning and if I'm in the target range, how can it work!? Anyone got tips?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I finally found the answer to your dilemma somewhere on this thread. It has
something to do with Fitbit *automatically making adjustments* several
times a day to your calorie usage! These adjustments are made at like noon,
6 pm, and midnight. That's why you can think you're going over budget at 8
pm and be BELOW budget when you go to bed at midnight. It doesn't sound
like a very exact science to me, and like you, I wish I knew how much I
could eat without blowing it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20170206-192828.png

Screenshot_20170206-192837.png

Here are my screen shots too. I think the 193 remaining is from myfitnesspal while the graph is from fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am still trying to figure this stuff out.  I am using the "harder" category to lose 2 pounds per week with a 1000 calorie deficit.  So on the gauge, am I shooting for under, on target or over?  I need someone to put it in layman terms for me or draw me a picture...lol.  Someone please help me out.

Thanks!

Best Answer

This is the first explanation that makes sense to me.

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I need to be under.  Is that it???  This program is a lot better than the Everlast tracker.  That has zero explanations!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The other day I burned 3500 calories and ate below 1500 (which is my goal). "2000 calorie" deficit and I was still in the red.... you're probably still going to get 0 explanations from Fitbit regarding the deficit issue. 

Best Answer

Thank goodness for someone who has explained it clearly - it was driving me nuts! My only other challenge now is that last night I was 'in the zone' but this morning, it tells me that I was 'over' yesterday and not in the zone.  How this can suddenly change is a bit strange....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20170306-194127.jpg

How is it possible to be over budget with 185 calories left in my budget?

I don't get how I can set this to lose a certain amount of weight, it gives me a calorie budget for the day, I stay under that budget, yet the meter tells me I'm over. 

Best Answer

Fitbit needs a simpler, user friendly method to show the input/output ratio of calories. This is not intuitive & has way too many variables. I am "over" everyday, but with exercise & a low calorie plan I am losing weight.

Best Answer

This is ridiculous !! If i burn more calories, the "over gap",  however it's calculated, should go down. Right??? Seems not. The more cals i burn, the more my "over" calories go up ???. Fitbit, i looove my charge HR but this meter is not on point... At all. Screenshot_2017-03-12-23-47-47.png

Screenshot_2017-03-12-23-38-49.png

Best Answer

The most confusing backwards interface possible. FitBit review all these messages and take it on board and change it instead of stubbornly trying to educate people on that which should be very straightforward. 

Best Answer

Oh god way too much effort. This shouldn't be complicated! Fitbit sort it out!

Best Answer

Fitness Pal has better information & is much clearer to understand. 

Best Answer

Thanks for asking this question.  I'm having the same question.  Is it good to be under, or good to be over, if you want to have more calories out than in?

Best Answer

Im sure youve already figured it out, but the  calories left in your budget is just and estimate to what your activity level has been. What i focus on is just calories in and out. Because  if you check the previous days end results thats all that  is calculated..did you meet your projected calorie deficit amount...burned more than you ate or vice versa..i was killing myself trying  to figure it out also...but at the end of it all its a matter of in versus out

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im sure youve already figured it out, but the  calories left in your budget is just and estimate to what your activity level has been. What i focus on is just calories in and out. Because  if you check the previous days end results thats all that  is calculated..did you meet your projected calorie deficit amount...burned more than you ate or vice versa..

Best Answer

It took me some time to figure that out as well...i wish they  would do as you suggest or just remove it altogether  and just post the final results the next morning...i just focus on in versus out..those extra calories burned i get later are like an added gift..

Best Answer