Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I start a running regimen when I haven't been running?

I would love to be a runner and know I have it in me but I don't know how to get started.  I've tried a couch to 5K before and couldn't get on a serious schedule.  I now have my own personal tredmill in my home and have time to get going.  What are some great ways to get a running program started when you are overweight, and just getting started?

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Start off slow.  Set a goal, say 30 minutes.  Start with a  slower speed.  As you feel more able to go faster, up the speed a bit.  Slowly up your speed and the length and before you know it you will be running a 5k.  Just remember, it won't happen overnight.  You have to get your body used to it.  Good luck!  I plan on running some 5ks this summer and have started my treadmill plan.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

You want to avoid injury, which you would be particularly exposed to if you are overweight and not used to running. Run-walk-run is a great way to start, google "galloway" for more information about it. Otherwise I agree fully with @TDeWitt about start off slow and with a  slower speed. I'd even limit the first sessions to way lower than 30 minutes.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You mentioned the best tool that there is out there, in my opinion...the C25K Plan.  Because it "ramps" you up slowly beginning with 30 seconds of running and, like the Galloway Plan mentioned, it's a run/walk program the scaffolds the time of walking vs. running, you don't get in over your head.  If you try to run for 30 minutes right out of the chute, if you're like me, you will be back on couch with a bag of chips in your hand and making statements like, "I tried running, it was too hard". I have used it twice to get back in shape after a running hiatus, I am a Half Marathon runner. A very, very slow Half Marathon runner.  Give it a try again.  You won't regret it. 

Jenn
Best Answer

If you've been sedentary for an extended period you might want to just start with walking. Get your speed walking up to a point where running isn't much harder. Maybe 3.7-4.3 mph. Get to the point you can sustain a speed in that range for 30 minutes and running for short intervals won't be nearly so hard. The main thing is getting on the treadmill. Start with three days a week with a day to rest between. If you keep getting on the treadmill and want to run you'll start running. Find the lowest speed that you're comfortable running at and hold to that for the first 3-6 months. For me I, pretty well, have to run at 4.5 mph, but it's an awkward stride so I have to do about 5 mph for it to seem natural.

If you want more than 30 minutes 3 days a week for the first 3-6 months do walking at other times. It takes time to lock in the motorskill, i.e. form, and until you do that you shouldn't try pushing speed and distance. Your muscles will be able to handle it sooner, but you'll likely train yourself to run with bad form. Running with bad form can lay you up a year out as you start having problems with your knees and feet due to pounding them in ways that they can't really hold up to absorbing the impact. Few people fail for not trying hard enough if they try at all. If you actually run some three days a week you'll get there. Turning it into an ordeal or injuring yourself is far more likely to stop you than not pushing yourself hard enough to go faster or further. 30 minutes 3 days a week is more than sufficient for the first six months.

Best Answer

Hi kastar,

I just bought the Runner's World book, "Run Your Butt Off."  It is essentially a 12 week program to get you from walking 30 minutes to running 30 minutes.  It is really doable, and provides a lot of nutritional info.  Really geared toward over-weight, beginner runners, and has a lot of success stories interspersed through out the book.  The first week is simply walking.  The second week begins a minute of slow running and four minutes of walking, repeated several times.  I'm happy with it so far (I just started Week 2).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your post. I've been pretty much doing as you suggest, but not on a treadmill, outdoors here in AZ in the mornings. 3 days a week, 30-45 minutes on a 5k route. It's been about 4 weeks now and I'm gaining endurance, going farther at a slow pace, not having to stop very often. When I do have to stop I just walk at a brisk pace until my breathing recovers and I'm off again. I'm really enjoying it and just having fun with it, littel by little the turtle approach. My question is... when will the after-stiffness go away?? I alternate with yoga 2-3x a seek and this helps a lot, but I've never been stiff like this after exercising ever in my life! As I keep at it, will it go away?

Best Answer
0 Votes