Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Octoberfast 5K/10K 2015 Training

Have a pair of upcoming 5K/10K road racing runs coming up on October10, 2015.   Going to do the 5K and 10K on the same day... Looking for friends to help keep me inspired.  Anybody else out there training for a fairly near-term goal to join me?  Let me know and we can challenge each other! #getfitandstayfit

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

I have my first 5K coming up in 5 days - is that near enough?

I also have another 5K the same weekend as your races, then another in November and (hopefully) my first 10K in December.

I just started running about 2.5 months ago.  Ultimate goal is to be able to be on my son's Ragnar team.  He's 21, and I don't think the idea of his 50-year-old mom racing ever occurred to him.  But now he's a little intrigued by the idea that he might come from tougher genes than he thought.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@Raviv sure that's great... fitness isn't just for kids!  Plenty of 5K's to run going into the fall.  Great that we have another FitBit runner here.  Just shot you a friend invite and will see if I can add you to one of my workweek chalenges! C ya!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Raviv.... how'd that 5K go for you??? Just curious.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did better than I thought I would, which is always nice!

I ended up finishing with a 36:59, which is about 3 minutes faster than I was hoping for.  The weather was perfect (68F).  I came in 17/25 overall and 11/18 for women.

I was really hoping to be able to run the entire thing without stopping, but I'm still pretty new and it was VERY hilly, so I did break down and walk a few times, then started up running again.

FitBit One
Best Answer

@Raviv ... That's great... nice work!!!  Just getting your first 5K under your belt makes you a winner so congratulations Smiley Very Happy

I still remember the feeling after finishing my first 5K... I got hooked and it changed my life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Raviv Woot! I seem to recall you being worried about it. You did awesome be proud!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks!

I've got another one coming up in October than I might walk if my (non-runner with bad knees) boyfriend wants to come along, then another 5K in November that I'm definitely running, then a 10K in December.

FitBit One
Best Answer

@Wanch wrote:

@Raviv ... That's great... nice work!!!  Just getting your first 5K under your belt makes you a winner so congratulations Smiley Very Happy

I still remember the feeling after finishing my first 5K... I got hooked and it changed my life.

It really is addicting!

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have ran 5K's for the last four years, I'm not fast by any means but really enjoy running.  Early this summer I started working out with a personal trainer and she encouraged my to run a 10K something I never thought I could do.  I have now completed two 10K's and I'm training for my first half marathon on October 24.  Never in a million years would I have thought I would get addicted to running, I hated running when I was a teenager.  Only advice I have is start slow and work your way up but don't be afraid to challenge yourself.  Good luck!!!

Best Answer

That's a great finish line profile photo @caspery...  always love to see pics at the finish line!  

I think it has been said by somebody before that "where the mind leads, the body will follow"...  as I age I can assure anybody that is a true statement! Smiley Happy 

Never thought I could be where I'm at today when I decided to start running 5 or so years ago.  I've discovered that running is really very easy... getting started was the hardest part! 

Best Answer

@caspery wrote:

Only advice I have is start slow and work your way up but don't be afraid to challenge yourself.

So very true.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was just looking back at my old posts and saw this one. I'm very proud to say I completed the half marathon on October 24. I didn't set any records but I finished under the goal I had for myself. 👍🏻😊
Best Answer
0 Votes
Nice job... congratulations!
Best Answer
0 Votes