Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

23F Naturally high heart rate? Anyone else? 115 resting, 180 walking

Hi,

I bought a FitBit a couple of weeks ago to monitor my pulse after discovering my oximeter was showing it was really quite high. My average is 115 bpm when resting and when walking up the stairs in my house it reaches 180! I am not out of breath at all. I have seen it reach as low as 88 a couple of times. To rub salt into the wound my mother (60) and father (70) have a resting heart rate of 77 and 61(!) respectively...

I have an oximeter and a family member lent me their Apple Watch so I’ve been wearing a FitBit and an Apple Watch for the last 5 days both showing very similar results. 

I am a 23 year old female, 167 cm and 61kg. BMI is 21.8. According to the watch I don’t have an irregular rhythm but the “ECG” did look a slightly off compared to my family members. 

I was hoping other people could tell me if they have a naturally high heart rate and it’s nothing to worry about. My family keep telling me to go to the doctor but I have really high levels of social anxiety and I don’t want to be seen as wasting their time if there is nothing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @EDunks   Your family are correct - you should see your doctor. It is not normal to have such a high resting heart rate and it should be checked out. Hopefully nothing is wrong with your health, but the only way to know is by seeing your doctor. You should not feel anxious about wasting a doctors time. You would not be wasting their time - it is a legitimate concern. Get it checked out.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I completely agree with @NellyG, there is nothing even remotely normal about such a high resting heart rate.  In your shoes, I would consult with your regular physician and ask for a referral to a cardiologist so you can have a full battery of tests run to figure out what is going on with your heart.

Best Answer

@EDunks yep. Go sooner rather than later. your resting heart rate is as high as mine when I am being very active and I am 50 years old. Please don't ever think you are wasting a physician's time, they are paid well to look after you and still get paid even if you are wasting their time. It is great that you are not winded, but if all sorts of devices are giving you the same readings, you must go. I am actually hoping since your initial post, you have already been. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer