Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

33 minutes in peak heart rate... is that worrying?

ANSWERED

I went on a run today and spent 33 in peak heart rate (avg - 178bpm and my resting heart rate is normally around the 65bpm mark), does anyone know if that is safe or a worrying increase/number. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Have you been running for 30+ minutes at a similar intensity before? If so, what was your HR like then? If not, in other words, you’re only starting to get into running, it may just indicate that. As you start running more regularly and you become fitter, your HR will likely decrease (with intensity remaining the same).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Have you been running for 30+ minutes at a similar intensity before? If so, what was your HR like then? If not, in other words, you’re only starting to get into running, it may just indicate that. As you start running more regularly and you become fitter, your HR will likely decrease (with intensity remaining the same).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

I've ran on a cross trainer for that length of time before, but this was the first time outside. I'll keep an eye on my heart rate running outsdie and see how it goes. Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it’s not so much indoor vs. outdoor, but more that cross-trainer and running are two different activities, running being the more demanding one (because it requires you lift your body weight off the ground unassisted).

If you have a look at the Compendium of Physical Activities, you will see that "elliptical trainer, moderate effort" is rated at 5.0 MET, while "jogging, general" is 6.0, and "running, 5 mph" (which isn’t terribly fast) is 8.3.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry I meant treadmill not cross-trainer. But I will keep an eye on it and see what happens in my next run. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes