Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 Things that work for me....

Hello Everyone!

I see lots of posts asking how to increase steps & be more active etc and I thought I would add a post with what works for me, maybe some of the things that work for me might help you guys also?

Before I do though, I just want to sing Fitbit's praises!  My Charge HR came into my life last Christmas and promptly helped to show me where I was going wrong!! I know I needed to loose weight and get fitter but the level of detail I got about my activity, eating, calories required etc etc have really made a difference to my awareness and general attitude.  

At the time of writing I am down by 23lbs and even though I am less than half way to my goal, the target feels achievable and I am happy that I have a healthy and structures approach to getting myself to my goal weight.

Anyway, back to the task at hand; sharing what has worked for me:

1)  Walking the Dog

I have always walked the dog morning and night, but now I take a little extra time to push a little further.      I cover more distance which means that I walk more steps!  In fact, I get an easy 8k a day (at least)      

from dog walking alone.

2)  Car Parks

When I park in the Car Park at work, I now choose the spot furthest away from the building, the extra    

distance and steps really help me to reach my daily goal (currently 17.5k).

If I really must take the car, then I apply this same theory to all Car Parks.....there are always plenty of

spaces further away.

3)  Lifts

I have stopped using lifts altogether, I work on the third floor of a large office and before Christmas I had

become very comfortable zipping up the lifts and not giving a thought to how this could be contributing

to my weight/fitness problem.  Climbing the stairs helps me achieve my steps AND my floors target....

...and all whilst helping me to tone up - RESULT!!

4)  Office Steps

OK, so we all know that working in an office lends to sitting on our behinds for long periods of time, we

also know that staring at computer screens for a long time is harmful to our eyes.  I confess that I

tended to get my head into work and rarely take a break from my screen, I was suffering with eye strain      and constant headaches so knew I had to do something about it.

So now I take regular 10 minute breaks every 1-2 hours and I walk around the building and up/down

those aforementioned stairs.  I no longer suffer the pain and am healthier for it.

5)  Supermarket Trips

I have stopped "popping to the shops" on my way home from work, firstly I am hungry then so find it

hard to resist junk food, secondly I buy more than I need and thirdly it just doesn't help my goals...Now I

either walk or cycle to the Supermarket and in either case I can never buy more than I need because I

simply cannot carry too much.  If i need something bulky and have to take the car then I park further

away from the store to get my steps that way.

6)  Guilt

This is an important one...If I want something, I will have it - in moderation where possible but

sometimes this could be a full-on blow-out.  For me, I find that if I am 100% rigid to a "Diet" then it

becomes just that...a diet.  My approach is making long term changes to improve my health whilst

accepting that now and again I might want a trip to the Chippy or a chocolate bar.....as long as these

are in moderation then they are not my enemy!

Well, that'severything that comes to mind right now but I will be sure to add to this if i think of anything else...In the meantime I shall be checking out the health recipes guide in this community as I am more than just a little bit addicted to cooking (and baking)!!

If any of you can add some more helpful hints and tips to this post then I would be most grateful as I really want to push my step goal to 20k a day 😄

Moderator edit: removed promotional information. 

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

supermarket is a good one

we don't buy and fill the fridge any more, just enough for a few days max and like yourself walk unless it is raining or really sunny and hot

today I had to go twice..... first time bought nothing, just walked in and out of the isles, then got back and was told to go buy some stuff.... couldn't she have phoned me when I was there!!!

we have 2 tesco's nearby, a normal one and a super store, the super store is further, about twice as far away

I prefer the super store because well, it is bigger for one ;), but it is also uphill to get there, buy the stuff, and then it is downhill, the normal one is just a flat road

Best Answer