Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activities and Very Active Minutes

Hi everyone!

My question: Can you get very active minutes from activites other than walking? I like to bike and I know that you can log biking but will my FitBit count that activity with active minutes?

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Yes, subject to the mileage you do and the time frame for doing it. I get active mintues all the time, 100% of them. But you know, there's no harm in trying - if you don't like what you get, if it's a timed activity, you just go ahead and delete it. One more thing - I never wear my one when cycling. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, you can get very active minutes from many activities providing the calorie burn is high enough. It is based on the calorie burn per minute. You need to burn at least 6 times your resting rate (what fitbit considers your resting rate). With cycling, it will probably depend how fast you are cycling so be sure an log the activity with the distance or speed. Walking, I have to walk at least 4mph if fitbit tracked (not logged). If the walk is logged manually, via app or the new GPS feature I think I would need to walk at a speed of at least 4.5 mph. I don't cycle so don't know, but when I log my heart rate monitor calorie burn for spin class I always get very active minutes.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use an eliptical at levels 6-8, an incline of 30% at at least 70 rpms.  It will log in my active minutes, but I log in the activity separately since the fit bit really can't track levels or inclines.  I find when I hike uphill in the back country sometimes the active minutes do not show up due to lack of internet service.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@best-stats wrote:

Hi everyone!

My question: Can you get very active minutes from activites other than walking? I like to bike and I know that you can log biking but will my FitBit count that activity with active minutes?

Thanks!

@best-statsYes you can get VAM from logging a manual activity by clicking on the Cycling icon in the Log Manual Activities area. You have the option of Intensity if you click "I don't know distance", or you can enter distance in Miles or Kilometres. The later is probably more meaningful and here are the examples, using a HRM is probably the best option. After creating this example I have send a note to Support because in the walking you get a nice graded approach (the 2nd image) when you vary speed. In this case nothing untilyou hit 10mph. Also a good point, the distance doesn't go into you daily distance tile.

you u Cycling.jpg

VAM samples.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes