Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antibiotics and Tendonitis

For info, I started an antibiotic called Levofloxacin for a sinus infections a couple of days ago.  Went for a run this a.m. and got severe pain in the upper back of my knees, ankles and right leg quad.  Seems that there is a tendonitis side effect with this drug, including rupture of tendons.  Want others to know about it since my Dr. never said anything and knew I was a runner. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Before taking ANY medication including the seemingly innocuous IV they force you to have in the hospital insist on a printed copy of the warnings and a discussion with the prescribing physician after you have had a chance to read it. Legally, a patient is entitled to these.

You can check www.pdr.net for more information on this drug.

Don't despair. Your physician will happily charge you to treat the side effects.

If you end up in the hospital, make the request for a discussion of benefits, risks, side effects and effects of not taking the medication in writing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The European Medicine Agency (EMA) has several reports on levofloxacin: 

Summary of the risk management plan (RMP), 6 pages

Assessment report, 106 pages

Tendonitis is mentioned as a rare (up to 1 patient in 100 in clinical trials) side effect. Stop running and talk to your doctor about it.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks.  Have stopped taking the medicine, and talking with the Dr. about a path forward.  This also happened to my 7 year old granddaughter, but not sure what medication she was taking.

Best Answer
0 Votes