Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Pain Workout Help

I am looking for any ideas of exercises that I can do with sever back pain. I cannot do anything that involves bending or stooping as both my back and knees are shot. So the situps, squats and lunges are out. If anyone is a like me or know more about how to exercise safely please send me ideas. I am open to anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I have had back surgery and live with chronic pain. I found the best exercise is  walking. It actually decreases pain and increases mobility. Swimming is also a wonderful help, water holds you up so the disc have no weight to bear as you get exercise but also help strengthen your core. Do try to walk every day, even if it is only around the block. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello @kcfreeman1958 and welcome to the community. I think you may want to consult with a doctor or physical therapist to see what you can do that won't aggravate your back and knees. As well meaning as we are here, we shouldn't be dispensing this kind of advice. What may work for one, may cause harm to another.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@kcfreeman1958, a few decades ago I got certified to teach Callanetics by none other than Callan Pinckney; her program helped a lot of folks with back issues, I had several students who'd undergone back surgery and the results were both surprising to me as well as heart warming to experience.  I don't remember if she ever made a "Back" video, but her book is still available:

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @emili. It really depends on what issues are causing your back pain. Is it your spine or the muscles or something else? Depending on that some exercises might be good for you while they might not be good when you suffer from other issues causing the back pain. A shot back and back pain is too general for us to give you safe advice.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the tips and input. They are all very helpful.

I have spondylolisthesis and L4 & L5 are now messed up. I have been working on walking more and taking the steps at work when I can verses riding the elevator. I am thinking about buy a bike in the spring and riding every evening after work. I live in Ohio so biking in the winter may be a challenge, even if I did not have back issues. 

Again thank you all for your help.

Kevin

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue-and much as I resisted doing them at first,  the back exercises and core exercises are the only things that really helped.  Those muscles need to be strong enough to hold everything in place and keep the vertebrae from sliding.  Work with a physical therapist to learn how to do the exercises properly and then do them every day.  

Best Answer