Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad running form

I go to the gymn just about everyday.  I have noticed recently that most people their have horrible running form (particularly on the treadmill). They don't use their upper body, they run flat footed and this makes them very noisy. I noticed yesterday a guy who was in good shape and runs like I do and he weighed at least 2 times as much as some of these runners with horrible form  ... he made very little noise. I know I may be a snob because I was very competitive on the track and field team when I was in school. There is one guy who is so incredibly noisy that I just have to leave when he arrives. I suppose karma will catch up with him because running like that cannot be good for your joints.

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Maybe just focus more on yourself and your workout, and less on what other people are doing and their form? 

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Actually I always focus on my workout; however, when somebody has the foot fall of an elephant it makes it difficult. I usually just go to the other side of the gymn. Unfortunately some times it is so loud that I have to leave the gymn and finish my workout either in the park or at home.  Also, I do wear noise cancelling headphones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Must be pretty bad then. I can barely hear anything over my music in the gym.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually it is. The guy who makes the most noise is not overweight or anything ... his foot fall is just LOUD : ))

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've noticed even in myself that the Treadmill does not assist you in walking or running the correct way perhaps it has to do with the fact that it is moving, therefore your feet land in the wrong position as opposed to how they land when walking on normal ground.  You do tend to land more flat footed when using a treadmill.  When I walk or run (well it's more like a waddle than a run) I generally land  on the front of my foot first I very rarely land heel first unless I'm tired.  Front first is the way of the ninja, silent and deadly (well it would be if I wasn't huffing and puffing so much)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am at the gym almost everyday as well and there are people running all around me. I don't think I ever noticed bad form due to noise. I have noticed how some turn their feet and I feel bad because that is an injury just waiting to happen, but not noise. I think also by the 5th mile I am so glad to almost be done that the only thing I pay attention to is the mile counter..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are absolutely correct. The treadmill does not encourage good body mechanics. I usually warm up on a treadmill and then switch to the elliptical machine. The problem is the elliptical machines are next to the treadmills that the "Lead Footed" folks use.  If the weather permits, I go to a nearby park where there is a dirt track which is easier on my joints. When I was on the track team in school, we ran on a clay/cinder track with leather shoes with spikes.  I don't like to run on hard surfaces; even though I have been told you get faster times in competition with a hard surface. I don't compete anymore so I use a dirt track when possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my younger days I loved running through the bush on barely noticeable tracks, dodging branches, tree roots, holes and other obstacles allowed me to run like the wind and for a long time as I was focused on avoiding things not on how tired I was, another reason why I run using the balls of my feet and not the heels or flat footed.

Best Answer
0 Votes