Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming a runner?

I got to be honest with myself, I am and always have been terrible with running. I struggle with the pain and difficulty breathing to where I find it is no fun (I get a bad case of exercise induced asthma). However the more and more I work on my weight loss goals and compete in weekly challenges for steps I feel like it would benefit me to learn and progress as a runner.

I have a seditary job in a condo where we all work in what would be considered the living room. So I would love to be able to get those quick bursts of steps in a run before and/or after work and not waste an hour barely walking 6k. Plus I am sure my dog would love it. 

Pretty much I am looking for tips, personal stories on how maybe someone else progressed into becoming a runner. 

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

Most every one uses the C25K app. There are several out there.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

But if you have never liked it you probably  still wont. But its worth a try

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Find sport that you enjoy and join a team, community, pick up game at the park.

I hate running just to run.  I need to be in a sport or being chased by the cops to actually be motivated to do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@klan7044, running is a good choice, but you need to keep in mind, like anything else, you need to work your way into being a runner slowly.  Why?  If you don't, getting injured will be a "when" scenario and not an "if" scenario.  I started with that cautionary statement because of your "quick burst" comment; the fact is, getting into running safely will require quite a bit of "not quick burst" running; said another way, you're going to need to start slowly (both in terms of cadence and distance).

With the above out of the way, I suggest you get on the internet and search "Couch to 5K" or "C25K" programs and look for one which sounds like a good fit for you.

Once you've found a program you like, before you start it, please review the following advice I give to the folks I help coach:

1. Nose over toes; many beginning runners have a tendence to over stride, keeping your nose over your toes will still allow a natural "heal touch" first, but transition the main weight contact to the mid-foot area.
  2. Run on dirt or grass whereever and whenever possible. In addition to the cushioning benefits of running on grass and dirt, there are other benefits, chief among them are a different series of stresses for every step (as opposed to having step after step after step being of a very similar nature and series of stresses), and imporvement of ankle flexibility under load.
  3. When the C25K program says "run", that means "run barely faster than a fast walk"; many folks interpret the "run" directive to mean, "run as fast as you can".
  4. Repeat weeks as necessary; it is not at all unusual for someone to work up to say, week 4, and then realize they just aren't there yet. When this happens, no worries, repeat week 3 as necessary until you feel ready for week 4.
  5. Once you've reached the end of the C25K program and can run non-stop for the full 3.1 miles, start extending your training runs at the same pace (or slower), and keep extending the runs until you can run for roughly 1 hour non-stop. Once to that threshold, you can gradually start speeding things up, however, see my LSD comments below.
  6. Long Slow Distance (LSD); I am an advocate of strict LSD for beginning runners; nothing, and I do mean NOTHING improves speed over a 5K distance for a beginning runner better than lots of LSD. Once a runner can run roughly 6 miles at a 10:00 per mile pace (i.e. 1 hour), the best way to start introducing the body to the rigors of faster speeds is to start dialing up the pace for say the last quarter of a mile; then the last half mile, then mile, then two miles. That said, once you're ready for dialing up the pace for the last two miles, you're long since ready for extending the distance as well; try 8 slow miles some days and 6 miles with a fast finish on others.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  🙂

Best Answer
Thanks, yeah not as much quick burst as going crazy all out. I more would
like to get more steps in less time than when I walk. Thank you for the
tips running, anything that can make it a smoother transition is best.

I don't necessarily hate running, I just never have been able to do it. For
me in school when I had gym teachers yelling at me to go faster I was lucky
to run a 16 minute mile. Last year when I tried using our old apartment's
workout facility I got it down to 14 minutes but it followed with a few
hours of wheezing afterwards and I can never run more than a mile.

I will check out the apps/programs everyone recommends but would love to
find out any other methods as I tend to stay unglued from apps and phone if
I can. 🙂

--
Kari M. Landis
Best Answer

You don't seem highly motivated to run except as a way to burn more calories. Most long term runners are addicted, and that takes about an hour of running a day to accomplish. Less than that, and it can be miserable. If you are committed to running, @shipo's suggestions are perfect.  If not, then read on.

Working all day at graphic design is a horribly inefficient activity if a person doesn't take creativity breaks. When I'm writing books, I use an app that shuts off my keyboard for 7 minutes after 15 minutes of actively using it. I do some housework, or walk on the treadmill, or take a walk outside for those minutes. I found I can write many more words a day using this method. 

Before committing to running, I suggest reading this book. You will get the idea in about the first half of the book.

Levine Md, James; Selene Yeager. Move a Little, Lose a Lot: New N.E.A.T. Science Reveals How to Be Thinner, Happier, and Smarter

Best Answer

@klan7044, reading your comments suggests to me you've been going too fast, way too fast, and trust me, I don't care how good of a runner you are, if you're going too fast, it ain't fun (errr, unless you're leaning into the tape at the end of a race to win an Olympic Gold Medal).

Regarding apps and being glued to the phone, I agree with you 100%, I absolutely refuse to take my phone with me when I run.  The good news here is there are a lot of very good C25K programs which are not app based.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Remember, too, @klan7044, that running isn't absolutely necessary ti burn more calories. I haven't run for years, though I did enjoy running marathons & triathalons back in my young & foolish days. Doctors have threatened my with knee replacements, and running isn't an option with that along with my advancing years.  But, there are a lot of exercises that I can do to keep my fitness level up, including power walking. I love taking nature walks, along with trail hikes and bike trail walks. Endurance builds very quickly for long hikes, interspersed with power walking.

Best Answer

@klan7044 I never ran until I turned 45. and then I gave it a shot. and now I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. And it is a good way to burn off not just calories, but salt and toxins (cause I sweat worse than a man when I run). I started with a combo of walk/run. Then more run, then longer run, faster run, etc. I can't run everyday, but I shoot for three times a week 3-6 miles depending on the day. But all of that does not address your breathing issues. maybe running just isn't for you from a very real physical place and you will need to find alternatives to running. I understand wanting to pack in more steps in a shorter time- an hour of running vs almost two walking for the same step count- I get it. but, you have to be real about what's possible and probable....

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili, thanks for the reminder to expand on the whole breathing thing.  🙂

@klan7044, within the running community there is a truism which says:

1. If you are breathing so hard when you're running you're in imminent danger of collapsing (or puking), you're going way too fast; slow down NOW!
  2. If you are breathing hard, so hard you cannot utter a few simple words, but you can otherwise sustain the pace, then you're running at a fast race pace.  Training at this level is not advisable except for an occasional "Tempo" workout, even then, only after you've gotten in good shape.
  3. If you are breathing deeply, but can still carry on a conversation in short simple sentences, then you're running at a good training pace, even if said pace is sixteen or more minutes per mile.

I told you the above to tell you this; your breathing will improve, even dramatically so, if you give it time.  If you start running say, three times per week, and sustain it for a year, you'll be amazed at how a really difficult run today will become an easy and effortless run will be after that year.  When I say effortless, that applies as much to your lungs as it does to your legs and the rest of your body.

At this point I probably need to back off as others have given you good advice as well; if you opt to try running, I'll be happy to help.

Best Answer

Personally I got into it by first being a walker. I was too out of shape and my joints too creaky to run for any length of time without experiencing serious pain and possible injury. But I started walking every day. I wouldn't do like a speed walk, but I would keep a brisk pace for at least a mile and get my heart rate up a bit. 

After a few months of that, I started feeling a lot stronger and to have more stamina. I started mixing in a little bit of jogging 1 or 2 days a week. And when I transitioned to jogging, I mean I jogged s-l-o-w-l-y. Probably only a tiny bit faster than my walking pace, but it did get my heart going faster. So I just kept that up, mixing in a bit more jogging as time went by. 

Now I run usually 4 days a week, around 12 miles in all, and I can go at a 10 minute pace for 3 miles or a 12.5 minute pace for 4 miles. I will continue to gradually notch up my speed and distance. I still walk on days I don't run.

By easing into it like that, I'm actually finding a small measure of enjoyment in running for the first time in my life. I only ever ran to get in shape for other sports, but now I find myself looking forward to my runs.

Best Answer

Running is not easy whether you're skinny or obesed. Though easier if you're skinny. But skinny doesn't mean fit either. I was morbidly obesed but now I can say I'm an average runner. I can do 2-3 miles non-stop running at 5mph pace. 

At my heaviest I can probably run/jog but maybe for like 10 sec before I give up. So I start by walking only for about 2 weeks until my muscles got more stronger and I lose some weight as well. Then I started walking longer. Feeling stronger, I started adding 30sec to a min of jogging to my treadmill session. For example: 1minute walking 30-60sec jog/run repeat.  From that I just increased the speed on a good day or when I feel my current speed is too easy. Before I knew it I can run 7mph on the treadmil and  not have my heart feel like it's going to explode. Ofcourse I do it every single day as a daily workout. 

Bottom line is to become a runner is just start small then slowly increase your speed little by little. Your legs will get stronger, your body will get lighter, your heart rate will improve, you won't breathe as hard and you will have that stamina to run miles nonstop. Last but not least be consistent. Doing it once or twice a week will probably not make you a runner soon but it's better than nothing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’d look at it from a different angle: we all know that sitting is bad for us (in fact, even worse than we think). You have a desk job, which probably causes you to sit for 8-9 hours a day, and there’s not much you can do about it (even if you have a Fitbit that features "reminders to move"). Even if you are "wasting" 1.5 hours of your precious time getting steps walking (outside working hours), chances are you are still left with too much sitting (watching TV, playing video games, updating your Facebook status etc.). So instead of finding a "more efficient" way to get more steps, you should rather consider even more "wasteful" ways of getting them.

Personally, I’m like @emili with running: I neither like it, nor dislike it. I do it primarily for improving my cardio fitness, not because it’s more efficient. I don’t mind "wasting" my time walking, even if it’s a less "efficient" way of getting steps.

As mentioned by @GershonSurge, NEAT is another great way to burn more calories. Modern life in the Western world just provides so many opportunities to minimize NEAT: think that you can conveniently ("efficiently") grab some food or withdraw cash without even lifting your *ss from the seat of your car. And unless your car is really old, opening the window is just a question of pressing a button.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I see a lot of comments here about not running if you don't like running. I have mixed feelings based on my own personal experience with running. 

"Pretty much I am looking for tips, personal stories on how maybe someone else progressed into becoming a runner."

Personal story - feel free to skip lolz

I started running for a lame reason - calorie burn and weight loss (was unnecessary in my case). Anyways, I was trying different exercise options and eventually I decided to try C25K. I honestly didn't believe it was possible to do for me to accomplish and it wasn't my intention to finish it. My reasons/excuses for this were two-fold:

1. I had major knee issues. Though getting into running and fitness in general was what solved my issues long term haha. 

2. Running is hard. At first. Seriously, first day of C25K I was hands-on-knees-panting-for-breath after every 60 second interval. 

So, C25K was amazing. I quickly fell head over heels for seeing the progress I was making with it. More than anything, I loved seeing what physically hurt and seemed impossibly difficult one week turn into an easier effort the next. It carried from there. A 5K was a huge accomplishment for me. Now it's like the shortest run I'll ever do on a given day in the week. 

I'm running my first marathon end of this month (omg so nervously excited). I LOVE running. I'm not fast, nor am I competitive. But running can be demanding and it can be easy whenever you need it to be. I guess what I'm trying to say, @klan7044, is that while I agree no one should run if they do not like it, I would encourage everyone to give the sport (or any for that matter) a fair chance before deciding it's not their thing. It gets easier - it won't always feel like it does in the beginning (like hell lol). 

Tips

1. C25K. Anyone can do it - if I could do it, ANYONE can lol. There are phone apps (I used this one), or you can just print out a program and stick it on your fridge if you want to minimize tech. Many programs will use time instead of distance, so you don't have to have an app. You can use a watch.
  2. Fun-run events/races. 5Ks, 10Ks, halfs, etc. I'd suggest runningintheusa to find events in your local area you can sign up for as a goal. Get a friend to go with you. They're a blast to participate in and most encourage all levels from walkers to the hard-core racers. 
  3. Music. I don't really do much music anymore - but sweet Jesus, I would never have survived C25K without music. I loved listening to upbeat tunes to pump myself up during those hard times. 
  4. Positive talk. Okay, this is gonna sound lame, but positive talk really does help. When things are difficult, tell yourself how well you're doing and how you can totally do this! If you're particularly uncomfortable, I had a fun experience with my C25K app which has virtual coaches to guide you through the run and interrupt every few minutes with fun pep talk. Seems silly, I know, but it is how I started. 
  5. Social media. Share your runs. It's a nice break for all the political complaints on the wall, and gives a chance for friends and family to support you. 

I hope this long-winded post does some good. I wish you and everyone the best!

Best Answer

@jessica88 wrote:

I'm running my first marathon end of this month (omg so nervously excited).

Congrats for your first marathon, and all the best with it! When did you start C25K?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Alot of runners I know started out walking for maybe 20 minutes at 1st then built to 1 hour. Then naturally started jogging for 20 minutes and kept building but on time not distance until they were running up to 1 hr.or more a day. Just build on time not distance you're walking, jogging or running.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique Thank you! I started C25K late October 2013. So pretty much 3 years on marathon day. 

My progression has been slower than most I know - a lot of inspirational people out there! Some of it was due to my crazy knee-related issues, but most of it was just me lol. Anyways, I've enjoyed the journey as a whole and can't wait for the big day. And of course setting new goals afterwards ;D

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jessica88 wrote:

@Dominique Thank you! I started C25K late October 2013. So pretty much 3 years on marathon day. 

My progression has been slower than most I know - a lot of inspirational people out there! Some of it was due to my crazy knee-related issues, but most of it was just me lol. Anyways, I've enjoyed the journey as a whole and can't wait for the big day. And of course setting new goals afterwards ;D

I coach a lot of beginning runners and from my perspective, going from C25K to a full Marathon in three years is not only not slow, it is just about right.  Why do I say that?  More often than not, folks who push themselves to run that first magical marathon quicker than three years end up hurt.

So, congratulations on gearing up for your first "full"; remember to update us on how you do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A lot of good stuff here. So do those of you who are very experienced runners advocate trying to improve breathing technique at all or just focus on increasing time?

I started running again recently after not doing it for 8 years simply because I discovered I can. I have flat feet, and got 6 stress fractures years ago from basic (hence why I didn't even finish) because they missed it at processing, and the military docs led me to believe that I just can't run and should never have been allowed to sign up.

Fast forward 8 years, I use custom arch supports from my podiatrist, and had to move out to Colorado Springs from California for work & life reasons so I figured eh why not ask about it. I was stunned when he told me some of the best runners in the world have flat feet. Go figure right?

I dunno, I mean I get it's more efficient than walking, and the calorie burn is great, but I agree that's not the best reason to run. For me it's freedom to run and the endorphin release you get from doing it feels great too. Great for clearing the mind.

I'm still only running about 1.5 miles max at a time, using the MapMyRun 5K training program myself, but I wonder about the breathing because I don't really get side stitches anymore but that's because I'm just running at a 12 min/mile pace.

Best Answer

@scubatim84, regarding your breathing; it'll come.  I would coach you to simply keep things slow until you can run say, an hour, non-stop, and then start dialing the pace up for the last quarter mile, then the last half mile, then the last mile...

The above advice will allow your body to gradually adapt to the rigors of running without exposing yourself to undue injury causing stress, and as your body adapts, so too will your lungs.  🙂

As a side note on breathing, even to this day I experience some runs where I have "More leg than lung", and other days where I have "More lung than leg", just the way things work out.  

Best Answer