Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Stride Calculations?

Ive tried to read some other post but haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for...

What is the best method to calculate stride length (step length)?

My stride when walking is different to my stride around the house. It's frustrating when my walk is measured short, but I don't want to over measure the rest of my steps during the day... What is the best method for accuracy?

I just started recording the walks with the GPS (I only used once about 5+ years ago and it was awful and had me zigzagging across a lake and made 2 miles into about 10+, but seems to be much more accurate now)... how will this affect my daily distance? If I leave the stride set to automatic, how will this affect my stride? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @MorgiePie 

It would seem to me that the way to get the most accurate daily distance would be to determine your stride length and use that in place of the automatic calculation by your Fitbit device.

This Fitbit help page has instructions on how to calculate your stride length: How does my Fitbit calculate my daily activity?  (<-- click link)

I also found this page that has several methods for calculating one's stride length that you might find interesting: How to calculate stride length by height (<-- click link)

Using GPS on your walks will help some with your daily distance as long as you can stay connected to GPS during your walk.

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MorgiePie stride length isn't constant so unlikely you'll get one length that will be accurate for all the walks. There is no such thing.

If you use GPS to auto-calculate your stride length then indeed bad signal will affect the measurement (Fitbit doesn't seem to be smart enough to exclude the bad segments and figure out that ie. GPS drifted).

Best Answer