Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bang for your buck: stair master v. elliptical v. treadmill

I work out at LA Fitness, doing a combo of weights, abs, and cardio every workout. For cardio, I generally do 27 minutes on stair master (25 hard +2 minute cool down) followed by 25 minutes on the treadmill (20 minutes at 15% incline, 3.5 MPH and then 5 minute cool down). Sometime I'll  use the elliptical as an alternative for 50 minutes.

Intuitively, I always suspected the stair master was the most bang for the buck because I sweat profusely and it's a hard workout. 8 days ago I bought a surge, and now I have the actual data about which exercise is the most effective. The data confirm that the stair master provides the most powerful workout. Of the cardio exercises I do, it's the only one that pushes my heart rate into the peak zone (more than 148 beats per minutes). I typically have 18-20 minutes in the peak zone (peaking at 170 BPM). With the elliptical and treadmill, my heart goes into the cardio zone but not the peak zone. Likewise, when measured by calories per minutes, I achieve 10-11 calories per minute with the stair master but 8-9 for the elliptical and the treadmill. 

So if you're looking for a powerful workout that will pump your heart hard and burn a lot of calories, check out the stair master. It's also good for your legs and glutes.

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Yes it is a good workout! I switch off daily as I need variety.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

My issue with the stair  master is that I feel that it hurts my knees. The elliptical is low-impact. But that's just my opinion. Whatever works for you and that you will keep doing is best.

Best Answer

If you do 25 min on Stairmaster why fallow with additional 25 min on treadmill?

Just asking…

Best Answer

@KennyB900- that is a lot of intense cardio in one day- every day. I get on cardio specific days going that long, but each work out- phew. But I agree with you about the stairs being the big bang- least amount of time for the greatest calorie burn. The elliptical I use as rest the knees work out once or twice per week. it is the least effective for calorie burn- but it is good for the legs and hips.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I don't know the reason for the OP, but I would follow up stairmaster with the treadmill because it seemed to be a "cool down" for my quads - l

Best Answer
0 Votes

The stair master gives agood work out as long as you have no problems with your knees.  I have an ellipital, set the treads at 3 and resistance at 6, workout 45 minutes and have no problems getting my heart rate in the peak zone, but I am 69 years old, but my heart rates stays in the 140's without any problem.  I had to quit running due to plantar fasciitis leading to patellar/fermoral problems.  The ellipital does not cause any problems with the PF or patellar/femoral issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The stair master is intense-- for my 27 minute workout, fitbit typically says 18 minutes in peak zone with my heart rate as high as 170BPM. The stairmaster I use at la fitness onlly has 2 mintes of cooldown, but my heart is still pumping hard at that point so I use the treadmill as an extended cooldown and also to get a little extra cardio. In my book, there's no such thing as too much cardio

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, the stairmaster is intense. I use it before work every day M-F. On the weekend, I also do cardio, but will generally either just do treadmill or elliptical just to take a break from the intensity of the stair master.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just my opinion, but the stairmaster can be very hard on you knees, thats why at my age (69) I utilize cardio equipment that are knee friendly, ellipital with low ramp height and medium resistance, stationary bike with just enough resistance so I average 60-70 RPM's, and a rower.  As a retired Physical Therapist I'm not looking forward to a total knee, even though they are improving them every year.

Best Answer
0 Votes