Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best exercise to lower blood pressure

Hi everyone! Besides taking medication, what type of workouts has helped you to lower high blood pressure.

I have heard that walking is more effective than running while the blood pressure is high. What do you guys think?

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Just one data point here, walking does zilch for lowering my blood pressure, running is the only thing, I repeat, the only thing, which lowers my blood pressure.  

Best Answer

@shipo That's interesting! I used to suffer from anxiety a few years ago and that made my blood pressure to go up for some reason. My doctor advised me to run as well and that's how my blood pressure went down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't really know

Best Answer
0 Votes

HIIT or tabata style workouts work better than most...  But the point is to lose weight which in turn will assist in lowering your BP.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RAPLEN2015 I totally agree. Exercise plus a good eating habit will be the best solution. Meals low in sodium and fat will be a huge change.

I haven't tried Tabata or HIIT but I'll definitely add them to my list. Thank you so much for sharing this valuable information.

Best Answer

Diet and weight play more into a healthy BP than activity. Don't get me wrong, it for sure helps and is necessary for a balanced life. But if your diet and weight are not good, your BP will more than likely remain elevated. Seven years ago, I was on two different medications for high blood pressure. For the past 5.5 years, no meds, perfect BP. I lost 70 pounds and changed my eating habits and slowly I was reduced to one med and then none. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I totally agree with you, @emili. I'm so glad to hear that you haven't been in need for medications for blood pressure since you changed your eating habits. Thank you so much for sharing this information since it's very valuable.

Best Answer
0 Votes