Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike riding compared to walking

I've been walking for about 6 months now.  I walk almost every day.  I usually rest 2 or 3 days a month...  Usually when I have to drive to go out of town...

Like so many of us, walking is becomng a demishing returns problem for me.  I used walk 30 minutes and burn 1200 calories...  Now I have to walk 2 hours to burn 1200 calories...

Granted I've dropped almost 50 lbs...  I've noticed my breathing is barely above my normal breathing...  About the only way I can tell I've exercised at all, is if I sweat a bunch.  I rarely can get my heart rate over 110 any more.  I just went hiking on a hiking trail Sunday.  I got a pretty good work out for only 3.5 miles.  I still only got my heart rate to 120. 

So my body has gotten pretty good at walking.  On my stationary bike I can ride it for 30 minutes before I started to getting tired.  Heart rate 160+.  But I hate riding my stationary bike.  I like being outside!

So I'm getting my old bike road ready.  It's going into the bike shop for a lot of overdue maintenance...

I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years.  So this should be fun! 

My question is how far should I start riding for?   I can walk 6 miles in under 2 hours.  I can ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes...  How far and for how long do you guys think I should be able to ride?

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Fitbit is disappointing if you are looking for earning steps on a bike.   For heavens sake tho, with a REAL bike, wear a helmet.

Best Answer

If you are looking to maximize calorie burn per hour, cycling will give you far less of a return than walking. You would need to go flat out for the full duration to get anywhere near the same calories as you would walking.

Maybe increase the speed of your walking to increase distance over the same time?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I could care less about the steps.  But my old Fitbit Surge fits around my ankle.  On my Stationary bike for 30 minutes I get a couple thousands steps.  Tracks my pulse, and calculates my calories burned about the same as my bike's monitor says. 

First of all I can walk all out, walking 3.4 miles, in 56.27 minutes, Average pace 16:31 a mile.  Average Heart Rate ... 106 BPM.  Calories burned 619... 

The only thing that helps me increase calories burned are hills.  But I'm in Houston Texas, a very FLAT place. 

I went hiking this weekend at a park 35 minutes away, about 90 minutes away with traffic in rush hour.  So it's not practical for me to walk at during the week.

The hike was only 3.56 miles long, 91 minutes, and my pace was only 25:39 minute per mile, average heart rate was 102 bpm, and I burned 880 calories.   At least I saw peaks of 117...  Yeah 117 is all I can get hiking up inclines. 

Walking just isn't giving me much benefit as it used too.  And that's normal, and expected.  I used to burn 4000 calories in a day walking 2-3 miles.  Yesterday I walked 4 miles, only burned 3300 calories for the day.

There is also a age factor.  Back in 2007, when I started walking I was able to walk 3 miles around 58 minutes.  A month later I was down to 45 minutes.  Unfortunately I met my current wife around that time, and exercise went out the window....

2016 version of me, can walk 3 miles, fastest is around 48 minutes now.  40 year old me was just faster.  Granted he was 10 lbs lighter than I am now, but I know I'm in much better overall shape compared to me then.  2007 version of me could not walk 6 miles, I can today.  He could only walk every other day, and I can walk every day.

Then there are injuries.  My weight loss was slowing when I walked every other day.  So I switched to every day.  But then I started getting injuries.  I've got great walking shoes, and even great socks...  But there is something about the mechanics of how my toes try to curl and grip as I walk that are giving me runner's toe.  I've already loss one toe nail, and probably going to lose another.  The toe next to the big toe on both of my feet when I curl my toes trying to grip the ground, that one toenail can curl enough to reach the bottom of my shoe.  And the repetative action is what is giving me runners toe. 

I didn't have this problem when I was walking every other day.  I've also suffered from a sore ankle(over 2 months now), runner knee (caused by running, 90% healed), and a pulled shoulder muscle from swinging my arms(over 2 months now, 80% healed).

So injuries are slowing me down.  I'm down to around 19:00 minute miles.  But that's the best I can do without injuring myself more, and living with the pain of my current injuries.

Bottomline at 48, I'm doing good, but I'm doing damage to my body.  I did try to go to jogging, and light running, but that made my injuries worse, or caused other injuries.

So I've really reach all walking can give me.  Every walk I burn fewer and fewer calories.  And to burn enough calories I have to increase distance, steps, miles, and time.  And Frankly 90 to 120 minutes of walking a day is a bit much.  I enjoy it, but it's taking a toll on me. 

Even my resting heart rate is now going up.  Up from 56 to 61.  I need more cardio.  I can't even get into the cardio range walking anymore.

So I'm going to start bike riding every other day, and walking every other day.  Biking should let me exercise different muscles, and hopefully get my heart rate up.  While giving me feet a break, and time to heal.

When I ride the stationary bike while watching TV, I do that for 30 minutes.  I'll burn around 400 calories.  But at least my heart rate gets to 160.  My bike is set to resistance setting 2.  Which is LOW.  But it gives me a good resistance similar to riding a bike at a good rate. 

I'm not expecting biking to get my heart up to 160, but peaks of 140 would be nice.  Hell anything over 120 bpm would be great.

But I've got to give my feet more rest.  And I need to get my heart into cardio range again.

So back to my original question, how far to do the bike riders think I can ride?  I really don't want to ride 10 miles down a bike trail, only to realize I can't ride back!  I can walk 6 miles, I usually walk 4 to 5 miles every day, and I do a stationary bike for around 30 minutes.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do both, to break monotony! One advantage of biking is it’s a lower-impact activity compared to walking (and especially running). Even though you already have shed a large amount of weight, walking/running puts more stress on your joints than biking.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

One thing to consider if you haven’t been on a bike for years is your butt is going to be sore the next few days, so you may want to limit the duration of your first ride for that reason. Of course, the fact you have been riding a stationary bike may alleviate the problem to some extent.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

A few things to keep in mind when it comes to bike riding:

From a purely weight loss/calories burned perspective you need to remember that a bicycle is probably the most energy-efficient form of transportation ever invented. What this means to the person interested in losing weight is that riding a bike, at a moderate pace, probably burns fewer calories per mile  and per minute than any other form of human powered transport. If you want to lose weight, and have only limited time to devote to exercise, its probably better to stick to walking and/or jogging.

Why is this so? To begin with, sitting on the bicycle seat, your body doesn't have to expend all the energy needed to keep you standing upright.  Your center of mass doesn't "bounce" up and down the way it does while running or walking.

Now, bicycles do have some advantages from a physiological standpoint. By keeping your weight supported on the saddle, it effectively shields the joints in your knees, ankles, and feet from the shock and wear associated with jogging. You can therefore exercise at a much higher cardiological rate, without stressing aging bones and cartildge.

Riding a bike, especially when first starting out, has a bit of a learning curve. There may be issues of chafing, since you will be exercising in position your body is unfamiliar with. You are likely to experience soreness in your "sit bones" (ischial tuberosities). There may also be mechanical issues associated with you bike itself: Getting a flat tire, ten miles from home, with no way of fixing it, can be a bit of a problem.

My recommendation: Start off slowly with bike riding. Invest in a pair of bike shorts and a microfiber riding shirt (plus a helmet, if you don't already have one.) Learn how to fix a flat tire. And start off with gentle 4-5 mile rides. If you can walk that distance, you'll find gentle rides that long a breeze. Decide then if you want to pursue bicycling as a hobby, and as an exercise medium. It can be immensely rewarding in its own right, and is the cornerstone of many fitness regimes. And there are huge resources of information and advice available once you've decided you want to learn more.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnRi wrote:

I've been walking for about 6 months now.  I walk almost every day.  I usually rest 2 or 3 days a month...  Usually when I have to drive to go out of town...

Like so many of us, walking is becomng a demishing returns problem for me.  I used walk 30 minutes and burn 1200 calories...  Now I have to walk 2 hours to burn 1200 calories...

Granted I've dropped almost 50 lbs...  I've noticed my breathing is barely above my normal breathing...  About the only way I can tell I've exercised at all, is if I sweat a bunch.  I rarely can get my heart rate over 110 any more.  I just went hiking on a hiking trail Sunday.  I got a pretty good work out for only 3.5 miles.  I still only got my heart rate to 120. 

So my body has gotten pretty good at walking.  On my stationary bike I can ride it for 30 minutes before I started to getting tired.  Heart rate 160+.  But I hate riding my stationary bike.  I like being outside!

So I'm getting my old bike road ready.  It's going into the bike shop for a lot of overdue maintenance...

I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years.  So this should be fun! 

My question is how far should I start riding for?   I can walk 6 miles in under 2 hours.  I can ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes...  How far and for how long do you guys think I should be able to ride?

I do both in the summer. I started with about 3 miles and worked my way up to about 10 miles. I was in the same boat as you when I started last summer. I had not rode a bike since i was a kid, so I went and got a hybrid bike and started riding around my apartment complex like a mad man. mothers where pulling their kids out of the way and yelling... look out... here comes that crazy old bike guy again...:)

Some tips...

wear a helmit (looks kinda corny but if you wipe out it will save your skull)

try to bring your bike to local parks that have bike/walking paths. Then you wont have to worry about crazy people driving.

Get a bell so you can wrn people that you are comming up behind them.

Get a water bottle.

Get a seat that has a cutout for your prostate if you plan on long rides.

Also, biking is good for cardio and the leg muscles, but there is no impact. Walking on the other hand is the perfect impact to keep your joints healthy and strong. If you want to get your heart rate up walking you can walk up hills and speed up your pace. Also I find that when I swing my arms at a 90 degree angle back to my hips and up to my chest, I can get my heart rate up 10 BPM faster than just swinging them regular. You just have to do it in a way that you still look cool...:)

I also went out last summer and bought a kayak to take to the local lake near me. I would start at one end of the lake and paddle fast all the way to the other and back. It works the entire upper body all in one movement, because you are using all your pulling muscles on one side while using all you pushing muscles on the other side, and alternating with each stoke, and you have to work your core to keep it all stable. If you do it vigeriousely you can get a pretty good upper body endurance workout.

I think you are doing extremely well, and having trouble getting your heart rate up tells me that you are increasing your fitness level.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You just need to have some fun to! If you are excited about getting the bike tuned up and hitting the great outdoors good for you☺ I love going for bike rides outside with my hubby. Nature makes you happy inside and that happiness can make you weight loss and fi bit journey a pleasant experience! I am reCooping from hip
surgery and it's been a long journey for me. The bright spot for me is that even though I cannot run for the rest of the year I can always walk or ride my bike. I am wishing you lots of fun bike rides ahead
Best Answer

@JohnRi

Biking is too efficient to do me much good here in FL, where everything is flat. I wanted a low-impact, full-body workout that burns gobs of calories and was mobile for the change of scenery, so I have a Trikke now.

They're kind of localized, but if you're in an area where you can find one to try and/or someone to help you learn, I can't recommend them enough. If you want to get from A to B efficiently, a bike's great. For a workout while moving, Trikke's the solution for me. It's like rollerblading, but without the exaggerated risk of falling and injury.

Trikke Fitness Site

https://youtu.be/onUL5qbdNx8

SebringDon | Florida USA | Fitbit's Food Plan Demystified

Charge HR, Flex | Windows 10 | Android | iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes

for me bike riding doesn't burn anywhere near the calories I need per day. If I take a spin class its more, but still not enough. However, I echo all the sentiment aboud doing it anyway. Its still movement, you will enjoy it, it breaks the routine and gets you outside. You can make calorie adjustments in the kitchen for the days you bike- I say go for it!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just went on my first real ride today.  I did a couple of test rides getting my seat to the right position, and testing out my bike.  I was going to get my wife's old Racing bike from 1985 road worthy, but the cost was going to be around $300-$400 minimum.  On a lark, when I was out of town, I found a 2009 Trek 2.1 road bike for $375.  This was a steal given that this bike is $800 or so on Ebay. 

So I got home, and was sick with the flu for a week.  All I could do was stare at my new bike, and wait until I got better.  I was pretty miserable sitting, not working, not walking, and not cycling. 

So today I finally felt good enough to go get some biking shorts, a new water bottle, a bag to hold my cell phone and keys for the bike, and finally give that bike a try.

First thing I found how the heck do you start this thing?  Still rusty, but it's coming back.  Second thing, balance was shaky for about 5 seconds, then that came back...  Ok, let me try brakes for the first time.  Dang it, I keep stopping 5 feet after I want to stop...  Practice...  And that first turn, why am I go straight?  Then I remember leaning.  But now I'm either turning too quick or not fast enought...  PRACTICE I need more practice....  Shifting gears, I spent time using a trainer, so that wasn't too bad, still figuring out the right combination for some things..  Practice...  A gust of wind and BAD muscle memory from when I was a kid, nearly sent me into a ditch and water!  I was able to recover, but just barely!  Considering I haven't ridden a bike in 35+ years, never rode one with gears or brakes, and I just got over the flu...  I did pretty good today.

Now on to the important part.  When I walk on a flat ground, I burn about 100 calories in 10 minutes with a max heart rate of 110.  On hilly terrain, I burn 110 calories in 10 minutes, with a max heart rate of 124. 

Today, I road for about 45 minutes, but I only have data for about 20 minutes. I burned about 111 calories in 10 minutes, I had a max heart rate of 147.  Granted I can bike for a much shorter time than I can walk.  So for now I can't burn as many calories.  But for me, I'm pretty happy that the numbers are roughly the same as walking.  It wlll be interesting to see how many calories I burn in an hour cylcing...

Best Answer
0 Votes
You found a great bike to start. The main point is to exercise and enjoy it. Take it easy to start and drink water every ten minutes at minimum. I mountain bike because I cannot run due to back and knee issues. I love it and stay fit as a result. As warm weather progresses, so do my rides. I burn major calories biking over the summer and have fun the entire time. Follow the good advice above and keep pedaling.
Best Answer
0 Votes

change the gear to make it harder

the exercise bike I have has adjustable magnetic resistance

Kettler Axos Cycle P

on the highest resistance, I am knackered after a few minutes

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nobody can accurately tell you how to safely start out on a bicycle. The general rule on any exercise to avoid injuries is to start with less than you know you can do and work your way up over time. Bicycles can be hazardous to the knees and the back until you learn to pedal faster. The danger exists until you can pedal smoothly at about 90 RPM. Don't rush getting to this spin rate or you will bounce which may cause flat tires on the rear wheel.

As someone said, do wear a helmet even for slow riding. Also wear riding gloves to protect your hands in a fall and to reduce the chances of nerve injury while riding longer times. Wear a bright color like yellow, lime green or white. Pink works, too. 

You seem obsessed with calories, and I think that's a good obsession. The Surge has a bicycling mode. You won't get steps, but an accurate calorie count is more important for weight loss and putting a value on an exercise.

Your slow heart rate indicates your exercise has been effective. My whole attitude about heart rate changed after I read "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Dr. Phil Maffetone. For maximum aerobic exercise, the range should be 180 minus your age to ten beats below that. Above that, it starts to become anaerobic. Aerobic is defined as burning mostly fat. It will seem too slow for a month or two, and then you will find it's difficult to exceed this range. This indicates all your other systems are improving also. Ignore his diet advice. It's a recipe for heart problems and other problems.

Best Answer

Hi there. I was the same as you. I start riding a bike outdoors where there are slopes and drops. Let me tell you, I feel much more exhausted and on top of that I start losing weight again. I have been in the cardio zone a lot. That said, I think the key is to change it up. Walk, use weights, bike, run, etc. Doing the same thing over isnt great because our body starts detecting patterns and prepares us for minimal energy expenditure. Do not forget rest days as that is when u lose the most. In 3.5 weeks I lost 25 lbs doing this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes