Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use fitbit in this way?

I am a daddy who enjoys running every morning with my daughter who is 10 years old.

I want to buy a fitbit with my daughter and a gift.(My wife gave me permission.)

Besides the basic features of the fitbit, can I check the location of my daughter's location (GPS info) using fitbit dashboard or the other app?
I think my daughter is still young, so would she prefer a fibit zip or one model instead of a watch model?
I await your advice. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

There’s currently only one model (Surge) that has built-in GPS, and even with it, GPS is only turned on when you start logging an activity that can make use of it (e.g. walking, running etc.). Even then, you can only use it to find out about your location afterwards, once your activity is over and it has been synced to your account. In other words, it could not be used to track the location of your daughter in real-time (in addition to which the Surge would be way too big on her wrist anyway). 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've got three kids 7, 10, and 11. They have iPhones which provide location well, and let us keep in touch.

Are you wanting to track her while she's out, or see the route later? Live tracking requires a phone or other internet connection. 

The least expensive fitness tracker that has GPS is the Garmin Vivosmart HR+, or one of the Tom Tom models. My Garmin Forerunner 235 does live tracking of runs, but it requires me to carry my phone, so you're back to a phone anyway. 

Best Answer
0 Votes