Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can hack Fitbit devices to show fake steps?

first all I am not saying people should doing the thing I am say you should do but try not to do it .If you see someone doing tell thing person your steps are fak

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

@dhoneybadger, I don't understand your question?  Or is it just a statement of some sort?

Best Answer

@USAF-Larry, what I think @dhoneybadger is trying to ask is if there is a way to hack a Fitbit device so it reports more steps than actual.  Of course that answer is both yes and now; yes in the sense there are ways for folks to artificially increase the step counts, but no in the sense there has been no reported way of doing it electronically.

Best Answer

@USAF-Larry wrote:

I don't understand your question

I didn’t understand it either, but I thought it was due to my not being a native speaker of English, so I didn’t dare to ask the OP to reformulate with a better syntax Smiley LOL

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

there has been no reported way of doing it electronically.

And even if there were one, who cares? I’m interested in my own health and fitness, not in extravagant step counts posted by some unknown person. If the proverbial overweight guy in NYC can hack his Fitbit to show he gets 100k steps everyday, I couldn’t care less.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

And even if there were one, who cares?

It's not my cup of tea either, but judging from the number of threads of people questioning steps in a Challenge, I'd say quite a few people care. It seems that Fitbit encourages competitive nature with the Challenges. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the rat race and forget what the point of it all is--fitness.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

If we used the energy and focus some are putting on other peoples steps counts toward are own movement, we'd have a much healthier and happier planet.

Look inside yourself to find your center, finding fault in others is not the path to likely what you see in yourself. 

Challenge yourself and be happy with your progression and achievements. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

@dhoneybadger I am not sure what you are asking either but... no one can get into your fitbit account and change your step count. You can inflate your steps with creative workarounds for actual step taking..

did we answer your question?

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

yes that is what I am talking about

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am talking about if fit bit are hackable

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dhoneybadger wrote:

I am talking about if fit bit are hackable

As I wrote above, there have been no reports of any electronic hacking of Fitbit devices.  What specifically are you worried about?

Best Answer

I see people cheating in the news feeds DAILY. But who cares. They PAID for the fitbit and can use it as they please. Some of these Fitbitians (pronounced Fi-bee-shians) should be in the Olympics because they are better than ANY long distance runner in history.

Point is WHY let it bother you. So you catch them cheating then what? Throw them in Fitbit jail? Wag your finger and say "shame on you!"? I mean just move on! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not that difficult to determine if someone has been faking their steps.

Take a look at their steps by the hour. Cheated steps have much different patterns than normal steps. The cheated step charts look more blocky and have less organic ebb-and-flow.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer